PDA

View Full Version : New house - BT master socket

LSainsbury
15-02-2008, 11:19
Hello,

I'm back after a few days of being rather busy moving house!

So - question about BT sockets - in the new house (new build) we have a master socket in the kitchen (only two wires connected) and 3 pairs stripped but not connected. Also in the socket are two coiled up cables.

There are sockets in the hall, lounge and bedroom - all of which are wired.

So - question is - what do I need to do to connect the master socket - which wires go were? And then - what wires do I need to connect from the coiled up cables to connect the sockets?

Help!

Cheers

Lee

Jon T
15-02-2008, 12:16
Have a look at http://www.wppltd.demon.co.uk/WPP/Wiring/UK_telephone/uk_telephone.html

and

http://www.adslnation.com/support/extensions.php

The external BT wiring to the master socket only uses two wires, called A and B. I'm guessing that the coiled up wires are connected to the extension sockets. To connect these up to the master socket you need to use the punch down connectors that are on the back of the removable lower part of the master socket.

The links that i've given you assume that the cable used is phone cable, if on on the other hand Cat5 has been used(ver common in new builds), then you need to take the front of one of the extensions sockets and make a not of what colour conductor goes to which punch down block. You then need to replicate this connection on the BT master.

WHISTLED
16-02-2008, 20:44
Why do you need to do anything? If its new build they will charge you to connect anyway.

bw41101
16-02-2008, 21:44
The wiring is pretty standard lines A and B (signal) which comes into your property connects to the master socket (usually) terminals 2 and 5. The wiring then goes from the same two master socket terminals to the correspondingly numbered terminals on each extension. :erm:

In addition to the above, there is an additional wire (ringer circuit) that runs from the master socket (terminal 3) to the correspondingly numbered terminal (again) on each extension.

Caution! if the box is fitted with Insulation Displacement Connectors (IDC - which look like metal slots) - don't use a screwdriver to push the wires into the slots, as these are easy to damage - best to get a pukka IDC tool from your local B&Q type store. They're not expensive and will save you a load of hassle. In fact it's as easy as positioning each wire over the appropriate slot and pushing down on the tool - simple as that. If you view the links already provided on the previous threads then you should be okay. ;)

Commiserations on them being BT and not VM - but, sigh......! it's better than nowt I suppose. :rolleyes:

That's it and good luck.