PDA

View Full Version : Business Install and Residential services

mcounsell
14-02-2008, 17:03
Hi,

I'm trying to connect my house by using the Business services to allow me to pay for the connection (We're currently out of servicable area, about 30 or 40m away from network up the street )

Does anyone know if I'm wasting my time? I don't mind paying a few hundred quid to get them to lay a cable but will I be able to get TV and the residential services or will I just end up with a big bill, broadband and nothing else?

BTW, I asked Virgin customer services. Residential sent me to Biz, Biz sent me to Residential. I got bored after several bounces!

Mike

Mick Fisher
14-02-2008, 18:26
I would say you are probably wasting your time. :(

mcounsell
14-02-2008, 18:32
Thanks. Is this the voice of experience or are you just as pesemistic as I am? :dozey:

Mick Fisher
14-02-2008, 18:45
Just from the experience that others have reported on this forum.

It seems VM have no intentions of expanding their cabled network in the foreseeable future. It would appear that they don't even cable new builds within the existing cabled network.

on in an hour!
14-02-2008, 19:07
Hi,

I'm trying to connect my house by using the Business services to allow me to pay for the connection (We're currently out of servicable area, about 30 or 40m away from network up the street )

Does anyone know if I'm wasting my time? I don't mind paying a few hundred quid to get them to lay a cable but will I be able to get TV and the residential services or will I just end up with a big bill, broadband and nothing else?

BTW, I asked Virgin customer services. Residential sent me to Biz, Biz sent me to Residential. I got bored after several bounces!

Mike
if youre serious about going on a business tarrif a business planner will come and do the whole sh-bang,including how many metres of 'new dig' is required.its helpful to remember that a lot of VM's business subs are on industrial estates which are not cabled up,in these cases (as ive said) the planner will include all the 'new dig' required in his business plan he submits to his manager. ;)

mcounsell
14-02-2008, 19:20
Thanks for the info. Is the connection to Business VM in effect the same as Residential VM in terms of connection to the VM network. IE, once I'm on from Business can I ( at a later date ) disconnect from Business and just use the Residential products?

WHISTLED
14-02-2008, 20:15
They would only invest in that much cable work if you would be of high enough value

mcounsell
14-02-2008, 20:20
When you say "invest in that much cable work" do you mean that the installation fee is a loss leader? I've told them I'm willing to pay up to 500quid which I can't beleive would not cover running cable... I guess we'll see. I will post my findings. they have my bank details and are going to send out a guy to look at the site.....
Thanks all for the views.

Jonnymeg
14-02-2008, 21:44
When you say "invest in that much cable work" do you mean that the installation fee is a loss leader? I've told them I'm willing to pay up to 500quid which I can't beleive would not cover running cable... I guess we'll see. I will post my findings. they have my bank details and are going to send out a guy to look at the site.....
Thanks all for the views.

Your kidding yourself, 500 quid for a 40m dig?
They would have to dig the pavement and lay conduit before they can pull a cable to your place. By the time you total up all the costs involved i would say the true figure would be nearer 5 times your estimate.
VM charge £75 just for moving a point within a house.

I would suggest that you will only get a result if your business is of sufficient value to them. i would think that unless your bill s going to be at least £100-£200 per month it wouldn't be worth it for them.

jungleguy
14-02-2008, 22:44
FYI business addresses cannot have DTV.

lostandconfused
15-02-2008, 08:26
The last i heard was with all the costs included, eg planning digging the road and the cost of the cable, it works out just short of £400 a meter

mcounsell
15-02-2008, 09:59
The last i heard was with all the costs included, eg planning digging the road and the cost of the cable, it works out just short of £400 a meter

Interesting, they told me 40quid/m, unless I misheard, in which case it's going to be a shocking bill! :rolleyes:

---------- Post added at 09:59 ---------- Previous post was at 09:58 ----------

Can biz address not have DTV due to the nature of the connection, or is it just contractual crap?

WHISTLED
15-02-2008, 10:01
The latter

jungleguy
15-02-2008, 22:31
cause Sky charge loads for sky sports for pubs and other businesses

PS1
24-02-2008, 20:37

sounds about right

beemamad
29-02-2008, 13:42

Not strictly true.

mcounsell
29-02-2008, 14:36
Not strictly true.

Thanks. I thought it would seem a little daft that "business installations" cannot get TV services. Surely once you're on the network it's just a case of paying residential VM to provide DTV. They make more money so I could not see why the other guy said I won't get TV.

As an update, I've had two guys around and it seems that crossing a road with a new cable is the way to go and that I might/will have to pay 50%. Sounds fine to me, fingers still crossed though....

Nedkelly
29-02-2008, 16:23
Sometimes business installs are connected from a DP where there is only telco connection :)