PDA

View Full Version : explain to mr thicky

kirk1690
14-02-2008, 11:49
download tests fast right on 20meg upload what it should be , internet speed faster than average YET SURF SPEEDS well below average on numion . they used to be above average . could someone explain this anomaly please or is numion not that accurate:dunce:

TehTech
14-02-2008, 11:52
download tests fast right on 20meg upload what it should be , internet speed faster than average YET SURF SPEEDS well below average on numion . they used to be above average . could someone explain this anomaly please or is numion not that accurate:dunce:

Dont use numion for speed tests, this is by far the worst!

Best way to test your speeds is by downloading 2 or more big files and add up the downloads.

Mick Fisher
14-02-2008, 19:15
I can't explain it but it's probably a transient routing problem.

The proxy server webcache.virginmedia.com on port 8080 still worked the last time I needed to use it. It should help with your problem until your connection returns to normal.

dadofriel
15-02-2008, 18:41
I find this site very good to determine my download rate

http://gamefiles.virginmedia.com/blueyondergames/demos/

I recomend files

Battlefield_2_Demo_GC.zip 547M
D3Demo.exe 461M

they are quite large so it gives you plenty of time to add the two dowload speeds together.

I always do it once through the router and once straight to the modem

Kymmy
16-02-2008, 12:33
Remember that your speed is only as good as the connection between your PC and the site/files that your accessing. That means bandwidth, latency and other bottlenecks can have the same effect as an over subscribed UBR and are nothing to do with VM's network.

Best to find a local site with some large filesand good bandwidth and try downloading them first using a multi-stream download manager. Or try some premium news servers.

Kymmy