PDA

View Full Version : beta usenet server news.virginmedia.com

greeninferno
12-02-2008, 21:29
Anyone tried this yet ? apparently this will be the long term successor
for all binary newsgroup access for ALL ex ntl/ ex telewest customers.

tried it today and speeds were woeful less than 3 MB on 20 MB connection

details were announced in virginmedia.support.usenet on the text only server

text.news.virginmedia.com

Zanny
12-02-2008, 22:22
Does this mean the end of binaries?

I wont be able to gloat over my BT isp using friends anymore :(.......

deakin
12-02-2008, 22:29

Well it could be the end of the free binaries from virgin,with the current talk of isp's getting fined for allowing people to download illigal content.

greeninferno
12-02-2008, 22:39

NO NO u misunderstand me

information about the NEW BINARY server " news.virginmedia.com " was given
on the text server " text.news.virginmedia.com "

it is in beta testing to replace the former ex telewest binary server " news.blueyonder.co.uk " and whateever the ex NTL customers were using.

it's situated in Amsterdam and outsourced to Highwinds ???

just asking if anyone who was aware of it was having speed problems !!

Zanny
12-02-2008, 22:55
Ok now I understand. Tested the server using my 20Mb comnnection and got about 8-10 meg, went back to news.ntlworld.com and straight back up to a full 20mb connection.

bubblegun
13-02-2008, 01:19
I'm getting painfully slow speeds.

200-400k/sec, 50-100k per connection.

Some people are reporting a max of 5 connections from the server.

alt.bin.multimedia has 1.6 million headers.
alt.bin.boneless has over 12 million headers.

the increased retention is appreciated but its taking an age to update.

I hope the speeds increase

MagicMan
13-02-2008, 06:57
I'm on 4Mb and got 4Mb (480K/s) all night. 5 connections appears to be the maximum but thats fine by me if the speed stays like that. Plus theres double the number of groups on there than there is on the ntlworld server.

Sirius
13-02-2008, 07:02
Will give it a good test tonight after 5.00pm :)

However at this moment in time i am getting 16meg :)

bilal
13-02-2008, 07:51
Well it just maxed out my 4mb connection :).

Plus it has "all" the decent groups which ntl didn't previously have such as boneless :D. Lets hope they stay there and they dont remove them like they were on ntl servers

Retention still seems to be 7 days at the moment .

Richy99
13-02-2008, 09:56

how can you gloat when the BT server is provided by giganews albeit speed capped

Zanny
13-02-2008, 12:10
well i was under the understanding bt openworld or whatever its called these days didnt host binary newsgroups.

kryogenik
13-02-2008, 12:32
A bit poo here. Speeds all over the place, max 4 connections. Frequently disconnects.
Hope it improves.

Chicken
13-02-2008, 13:02
Its gone down the same route as the NTL servers do now; lots of timeouts and articles not found errors.

I thought it was too good to be true, but then again its outsourced to Highwinds so I suppose its expecting a bit much for it to actually work :rolleyes:

greeninferno
13-02-2008, 23:33
They seem to have solved the time out errors

but getting 5 Mbit on a 20 Mbit connection here :td:

its still in beta testing tho' so.....

Seems strange that the server is physically located in Amsterdam :confused:

Can anyone imagine the carry on when something is wrong

customer > VM > Highwinds > wiremonkey with feet on desk and back again

doesn't bear thinking about :shocked:

Richy99
14-02-2008, 09:45
well i was under the understanding bt openworld or whatever its called these days didnt host binary newsgroups.

BT have been outsourcing to giganews for well over 12 months for their news service

kryogenik
15-02-2008, 15:39
I've just pulled about 4 gig straight off this server at max speed, so better already.
Nice.
:)

rmg
31-03-2008, 15:08
Can anyone provide a full list of groups on the beta server?

ceedee
31-03-2008, 21:52
Can anyone provide a full list of groups on the beta server?

Well, I could...
But right now there's 75,208 so it could be a rather long post!
;)
Are there specific ones you're interested in?

Why not set up newsgroups in Outlook Express and have a browse yourself?
You'll find a step-by-step guide here (http://www.virginmedia.com/customers/newsgroups/setting-up.php).

:angel:

Agent47
31-03-2008, 23:26
WOW X264, WMVHD and Xbox360 covered.

Looks like Ive got some serious downloading to do. Thanks VM.

Rackerz
31-03-2008, 23:35
Seems to be some newsgroups missing? Some popular ones ;).

Agent47
31-03-2008, 23:38
downloading a 1080p version of the empire strikes back and not one missing header yet :)

Ozzy121
31-03-2008, 23:40
waitwait can u guys explain what u mean? iv been gettin completly messed up speeds recenetly (im new to all this)

Rackerz
31-03-2008, 23:44
downloading a 1080p version of the empire strikes back and not one missing header yet :)

Is alt.binaries.boneless accessible for you?

Agent47
31-03-2008, 23:46
Is alt.binaries.boneless accessible for you?

Yes :)

ShineGet
01-04-2008, 00:21
currently paying for usenet access as previously the ntl servers didn't give me access to most binary groups. Will be giving this a go.

Any idea on the retention? only 7 days? sounds a bit crappy but ok for free i guess.

Rackerz
01-04-2008, 08:51
Yes :)

Can't find it out on Outlook Express, better off using a newsreader?

Agent47
01-04-2008, 08:56
well i was able to download the whole of the empire strikes back 1080p from the server with no missing headers.

as lord vader would say "impressive", "most impressive"

Rackerz
01-04-2008, 09:12
I'm using newsleecher and trying to download off alt.binaries.boneless but whem I do go to download newsleecher just says transfers scanned and says idle and ready for action. It won't download anything.

ichiban
01-04-2008, 14:13
its been acting up these few days, I'm able to down the headers from alt.binaries.multimedia but sometimes unable to download the files unless I wait a few hours.

Rackerz
01-04-2008, 14:28
I'm attempting to download files off some groups, I'm guessing NZB's older than 7 days aren't available for download?

Magilla
01-04-2008, 14:30
and outsourced to Highwinds ???

Looking at their postal address it appears to be identical to Easynews, so they're supplying the feed.

Rackerz
01-04-2008, 14:40
Wish it was Giganews ;).

graham1332
13-09-2008, 09:15
i have been using news.virginmedia.com, and for a while i have been using a site called united-forums, good site as lots of interesting things to look at, and for the past few weeks i cant download anything at all from united forum, but i could before, please dont tell me its retention i have been through all this before, its not that . all i want to find out is as virgin media done something so we cant do this anymore ? i use newsleecher and i wonder if there are anymore people out there thats having the same problem.:mad::mad::mad:

Sirius
13-09-2008, 09:33
i have been using news.virginmedia.com, and for a while i have been using a site called united-forums, good site as lots of interesting things to look at, and for the past few weeks i cant download anything at all from united forum, but i could before, please dont tell me its retention i have been through all this before, its not that . all i want to find out is as virgin media done something so we cant do this anymore ? i use newsleecher and i wonder if there are anymore people out there thats having the same problem.:mad::mad::mad:

I have no problems downloading from news.virginmedia.com with newsleecher. I use many differant sites to find my nzb's but if i want something that is 7 days or less old then i have not problems. If i want something older then i now use Hitnews.eu. And before you ask i do download a LOT.

Tell you what i will register with that forum and try to download a nzb, Whats the link to it.

is it this

http://www.united-forums.co.uk/phpBB2/index.php

graham1332
13-09-2008, 09:38
the stuff i tried to d/l was only hours old .. and its been going on for weeks , its well within the 7 days, oh and good luck to Warrington today, they are a good set of lads , all of them ......;),, but yes get back to united forums ,, have a look using news.virginmedia.com ,, like i say i could d/l before but not now ,,

Sirius
13-09-2008, 09:44
I have no problems downloading from news.virginmedia.com with newsleecher. I use many differant sites to find my nzb's but if i want something that is 7 days or less old then i have not problems. If i want something older then i now use Hitnews.eu. And before you ask i do download a LOT.

Tell you what i will register with that forum and try to download a nzb, Whats the link to it.

is it this

http://www.united-forums.co.uk/phpBB2/index.php

Ok registered

Tell me something you cannot download pm if you want.

---------- Post added at 09:44 ---------- Previous post was at 09:39 ----------

the stuff i tried to d/l was only hours old .. and its been going on for weeks , its well within the 7 days, oh and good luck to Warrington today, they are a good set of lads , all of them ......;),, but yes get back to united forums ,, have a look using news.virginmedia.com ,, like i say i could d/l before but not now ,,

Thanks

pm me with a nzb you are having problems with and i will try it.

graham1332
13-09-2008, 09:46
message on its way

Sirius
13-09-2008, 10:02
Well here is something new. I can get the nzb's and a file thats less than 7 days from that forum . However the file will NOT download with News.virginmedia.com however it downloads fine with http://www.hitnews.eu/english/damage.html and with giganews.com. So i have to say that there is something amiss with Vm's news server or VM are up to something :mad:

Horace
13-09-2008, 10:25
Take a look at the header from where it was posted, if it was Virginmedia then its probably propagated to the rest of the Usenet servers but VM have had a request to remove the file(s). Most of the commercial servers pay lip-service to those requests, VM may be different.

Taf
13-09-2008, 10:29
Many files found by Binsearch don't last long on VMs servers.. they suddenly vanish... even when only a couple of hours old...

graham1332
13-09-2008, 10:35
Never had any problems before ,,, like it was said , VM must be upto something ,, to have something then have it taken away from you is not on .

cook1984
13-09-2008, 23:08
Providing a good news server is probably in VM's interests. It cuts down on external bandwidth and means people "burst" chunks of bandwidth (e.g. to download a TV show) rather than just running BitTorrent which although slower for downloading also uploads for hours on end.

My BT client is on 24/7, uploading a constant 60k/sec. Now VM's news server suck a bit less, that may change.

Zanny
14-09-2008, 09:16
you do seem to get some that get deleted by virgin or whoever but 90% of them are there, just try another file or search for same file with another nzb indexing site and see if same thing happens.

cook1984
14-09-2008, 17:02
BTW, I use newshosting.com as a secondary server. Good speeds but most importantly you can buy chunks of downloads (say 50 gigs) and use them as you like. It's ideal as a secondary server for fills when VM fails.

barf0r
15-09-2008, 19:32
Yes, posts from united-forums are definitely being removed.
Less that 7 days old, and posted to two or more groups - not to be found in any.

I remember with the old VM servers when they ran news.ntlworld.com they did the same thing with filtering posts with certain phrases in the headers. It's annoying as anything.

Here is my thread from about 18 months ago:
http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/12/33609380-newsgroups-filtering-certain-posts.html

Richy99
16-09-2008, 12:23
dont forget if the server is being run by another source ( not VM ) then it is possible posts are being dmca'd and removed from the server

graham1332
17-09-2008, 11:46
i did read somewhere , that you could ask VM to add certain newsgroups , but i did complain about U/F , and i said its there if i look going through outlook , but when i go to download using Newsleecher its not there ,, VM just passed the buck and said it could be the site thats doing it . :mad:

Chris
17-09-2008, 11:52
dont forget if the server is being run by another source ( not VM ) then it is possible posts are being dmca'd and removed from the server

VM is still ultimately owned by an American company, listed on NASDAQ, even though all its operations are in the UK. I would have thought it possible that they could well be on the receiving end of DMCA takedown notices. I'd be surprised if US-based copyright owners weren't up for at least trying to use that law against them.

dmarook
19-09-2008, 16:14
Do VM's news servers support SSL?

cook1984
19-09-2008, 21:21
Do VM's news servers support SSL?

LOL... Even if they did, VM would be logging who accesses what. It's not like the music/movie companies can spy on your connection, their pathetic "investigations" just rely on seeing your IP address listed on a BitTorrent tracker. There is no way they can tell if you are downloading from usenet unless they somehow get access to VM logs. I don't think even VM are dumb enough to allow that.