PDA

View Full Version : replace old ntl modem?

redbluetwo
12-02-2008, 10:35
Looking forward to the 10mb upgrade whenever it comes about - (Wilts)
Is it worth me buying a new cable modem to take full advantage currently using my old NTL Home 120 silver modem which the speed test tells me getting 3.34mbps av. with 4mb service.

This has ethernet connection to my desktop pc (no wireless) then another ethernet connection to wireless router which serves my laptops and Wii.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

dave6x
12-02-2008, 10:48
Well VM reckon that the old NTL Home 120 is still suitable for 10Mb in the hardware checker at the link: http://allyours.virginmedia.com/html/existingcustomers/faster/hardware_selection.html

I also have a NTL Home 120 and was looking forward to a replacement, although I have to say it worked OK on 10Mb with DL at 1.2MB when I had it just over a year ago and is working OK on 4Mb now with DL at 480-490KB.

However when I first upgraded to 10Mb a few years ago the modem had to have new software flashed to it by NTL, it would only DL at approx 5-6Mb (625-750KB) before the software upgrade.

xpod
12-02-2008, 10:55
MY old NTL120 was perfectly capable of 10Mb......till it one day became 20Mb

You need to use a modem provided by VM too.

Halcyon
12-02-2008, 11:00
As Xpod says, if you need a new modem, you should give Virgin a call and they can advise you if you even need a new one.
Buying a modem from any other source will not work.

redbluetwo
12-02-2008, 11:16
Thanks for the advice - will get on the phone.

Ermintrude
12-02-2008, 15:28
Well VM reckon that the old NTL Home 120 is still suitable for 10Mb in the hardware checker at the link: http://allyours.virginmedia.com/html/existingcustomers/faster/hardware_selection.html

They seem a little confused, I ran that checker last Tuesday, it said I'd need a replacement modem, so ordered one. Today it says I don't need a replacement! [NTL Home 120]

dave6x
12-02-2008, 16:05
They seem a little confused, I ran that checker last Tuesday, it said I'd need a replacement modem, so ordered one. Today it says I don't need a replacement! [NTL Home 120]
They took the checker off-line for a few days and seem to have modified it! I think it was the checker they'd been using for 20Mb. And I have to be fair, as Xpod and I said above, the NTL Home 120 did seem to work perfectly OK for me on 10Mb and I got full speed after the software was upgraded.

BenMcr
12-02-2008, 16:38
Thanks for the advice - will get on the phone.

If you don't use the website, only BB Tech support can order a replacement, not Customer Care

Ermintrude
12-02-2008, 17:12
They took the checker off-line for a few days and seem to have modified it! I think it was the checker they'd been using for 20Mb. And I have to be fair, as Xpod and I said above, the NTL Home 120 did seem to work perfectly OK for me on 10Mb and I got full speed after the software was upgraded.

Thanks for clarifying that, if they do send one out I'll just sit on it and see what happens when they upgrade me to 10mb. Don't want to mend it if it ain't broke!