PDA

View Full Version : Standard BB Pricing

CountZer0
12-02-2008, 09:00
Here's an interesting one...

I'm on the 20mbps service (lucky to get 12 mind you so probably going down to 10 when my area gets the upgrade) and pay £37 a month.

I noticed on their site in the "legal stuff" on all the offer pages that the current standard price for 20mbps is £28.
I called to query this and they said the price is £37 and always will be and they said the "standard price quoted on the website is only for new customers" ie it's a special offer.

Now I'm kind of miffed about this. If a customer joins today they get 12 months of their special offer price and then they get their 20mbps at £28. I asked them if they thought this was fair? They said, and I quote, "20mbps is £37 it will never be £28."
Huh? Contradictory statements, what a surprise!

So I asked where on their website the current standard prices are for all their services... "They're not" they said.

They did try to say that I'm already getting a discount because I have all 3 services (M Phone, L TV and XL BB) and therefore get £10.50 off but that was sold to me as "you get half-price TV because you have the phone."
But since they don't have a list of standard pricing on their website current customers can't check to ensure they aren't getting the best deals.

Now I really feel ripped off! I'm paying over the odds for a service that has been less than stellar since NTL took over and they can't even explain the price disparity on their own website.

Here's the quote (the bold is mine):

Broadband prices are for 12 months when you take Virgin Phone. Broadband Size: M (up to 2Mb) is £4.50 a month, Broadband Size L: (up to 4Mb) is £11.50 a month, Broadband Size: XL (up to 20Mb) is £23.50 a month. Standard monthly prices (currently up to 2Mb is £9, up to 4 Mb is £16, up to 20Mb is £28) apply thereafter when taken with Virgin Phone.

Unless I'm reading it wrong (which is possible) that says that after the standard price for 20mbps when taken with phone is £28.
What do you all think?

Trancemaster
12-02-2008, 09:18
I had exactly the same conversation with both CS and sales a few weeks back after seeing the same thing in an advert in a national newsrag. They didn't know anything about those prices and refused to believe that it was real. In the end I gave up.

redfocusgreen
12-02-2008, 09:45
Its funny you should say that as I have just spotted on their website that upto 20 mb is now £20 with the M phone.

http://allyours.virginmedia.com/websales/product.do?id=3246

Ernie_C
12-02-2008, 11:09
Unless I'm reading it wrong (which is possible) that says that after the standard price for 20mbps when taken with phone is £28.
What do you all think?
It's the way they are marketing which is confusing.

They are saying that BB XL is £28 when taken with Phone M. That is TRUE.

Phone M is £11, making the total for Phone M and BB XL £39.

This price is a STANDARD PACKAGE price, based on the 2 for £20 package.

The 2 for £20 contains Phone M and BB M and can be upgraded to include BB XL for £19, hence the £39 price. The £19 comes from the difference between the list price of BB M and BB XL (£18 and £37).

It's all in the words.

The list prices for each service will always appear on your bill, along with the discounts which give you your final price.

CountZer0
12-02-2008, 12:29
Still very confusing as they don't have standard prices quoted on their site. And very much bad value for money considering you hardly ever get 20mbps in the real world.

There's no way I'm going to go to 50mbps as the real world speed will be about 15 tops.