PDA

View Full Version : Clues please-TT to VM phone..

Vlad_Dracul
11-02-2008, 19:20
Hi all,

My current situation is that i get VM broadband size M and pay £18 pm.

My phone line rental is via BT on direct debit

My phone traffic is via Onetel now Talk talk.

I don't pay for any TV services and just have standard terrestrial and freeview
box.

I need to rationalise this lot as I'm loosing money!

The only VM hardware i have in the house is an ex NTL cablemodem.

I also have an ex NTL phone socket which is still there,wired but obviously dead.

My plan of action is to switch to VM for my phone. I just need the basic phone service though i understand they throw in size M tv for free on the deal?

So how does it work?

If i apply for VM phone to be added,will they deal with all the stuff with talk talk and BT?

Presumably I keep the same number and an engineer visit would be required to re-activate the phone socket and install the free size M TV hardware?

Do i have to pay any install costs?

Sorry to have to ask here but i cant ring customer service at VM as I have a really difficult time making myself understood with non UK call centre staff and it frustrates me..

ta

jo

lostandconfused
12-02-2008, 08:54
There would be an install charge - £30.00

You may have trouble porting the number from talk talk to VM, AFAIK there isnt an agreement between the two so couldnt do it directly.

You would have to transfer from TT to BT for the minimum 3 months and then transfer it to VM.

If you wanted it sooner than that you could have a temp VM line installed, but would then end up paying line rental twice for the three months.

esdxc37
12-02-2008, 18:55
There would be an install charge - £30.00

You may have trouble porting the number from talk talk to VM, AFAIK there isnt an agreement between the two so couldnt do it directly.

You would have to transfer from TT to BT for the minimum 3 months and then transfer it to VM.

yes L&C is correct
you may get a sales advisor who will offer to pay the bt rental fee as I have seen it being done

wabbit
12-02-2008, 19:50
Porting from Talk Talk in a nutshell..............

a) If you pay the bills to BT then its ok. The port will go through as if its with BT [just a normal port order].

b) If you pay the bills to Talk Talk [i.e. opal] then you MAY be able to port the number.

if your unsure whether a) or b) then call to BT will help.

WHEN CAN THE NUMBER BE PORTED IF YOU PAY TO TALK TALK/OPAL

Simply put - only if you are in an EX-TELEWEST area. NOT EX-NTL area.

HOW DOES IT HAPPEN
1) advisor places order onto system and should give it at least 10 working days. This is to enable the number to be put on the VM switches, made live, etc. Its purely the VM side.

2) Advisor should also email the Number Ports department [NP] to place the order, informing them that the number is with talk talk. The NP department will then send the order off manually to talk talk and bt. The order will be for the date the advisor raised in 1) above.

3) on port day, NP will get the number released from talk talk and to ensure that BT points the number to VM. They will also contact the other VM departments involved to do other things.

NOTES
- porting occurs at 1pm and after. Its because the 3 companies involved need to sycnch everything

- if its an install, the tech is NOT involved in the porting. As long as the tech is satisfied the install is complete and communicates that everything is fine, NP will release the number. If its just a port order and not an install, then NP will just wait till 1pm and start the process.

If you live in an EX-NTL area, then i'm afraid you cannot port the number directly from talk talk [a contract is in the making however]. You will have to do the long way round as someone explained above - get number working with BT [which means entering into new BT contract, any installation fees] - VM ports from BT to VM [BT will charge an early cancellation fee due to contract e.g. BT gets it up and running on day 1 and VM requests for number on day 6]. Of course BT may charge you for other things e.g. calls made etc. Long winded and more expensive but its the only way at the moment.

The above is a general guide for everyone.

p.s. once the transfer completes, the talk talk account should auto cancel [depending on individual situation]. You may ring talk talk to confirm/settle anything just in case. Just dont cancel with talk talk before the transfer completes.

dave_dph
13-02-2008, 10:10
If your line rental is still with BT then the port is straight forward and Talk Talk aren't involved.

Vlad_Dracul
13-02-2008, 18:10
I think ive sorted this now. I simply went on BT website and put in an application to return to BT with option1 i,e weekend national calls included, no minimum contract. I'ver received a confirm email with a 10 day activation window so its bye bye one tel. Once i'm back in the BT stable i can then consider my next move. Thanks all.