PDA

View Full Version : Think I need a new Dect phone.

dragon
09-02-2008, 11:47
At the moment we have a pair of Idect X1 (bingatone?) dect phones But I think the base has gone faulty

It's sometimes a bit crackles when first picking up the line, but more recently it's been not ceasing the line at all, Had an incoming call earlier and I Couldn't answer it despite pressing the Accept button on the handset 3 times, Luckily we have caller display so I knew who was calling and called them back (after several attempts before it actually picked up the line to dial-out)

Also yesterday It dropped a call several times and I resorted to using my mobile.

I think the handsets are probably OK and its the Relay in the Base station that ceases the line that's gone faulty, Does that sound like a fairly accurate diagnosis?

I could probably get one cheaper by ordering online, but I think in this instance its going to be a trip into town.

Only places I can think that sell DECT handsets are Argos, Robert dyas and woolworths might do some.

Did see the BT mango in black on offer in ARGOS reduced to £25 although I'm not entirely convinced I like the look of the thing, Id prefer to spend less than £30 because I don't actually use the phone that often as tend to use the mobile but It has to be DECT because of where our phone scoket is a corded phone would be very inconvenient.

So any recommendation's and anything I should avoid like a plague?

Cerberus
09-02-2008, 13:39
Avoid any Binatone products and you won't go wrong. Sent my mrs out to get a replacement digital cordless telephone as our old one just broke. She came back with the worst phone I have evr used. I nearly dropped her on the spot. :D

These (http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/5523276/Trail/C%24cip%3D1500011728.Office%2C%2BPC%2Band%2Bphones %3EC%24cip%3D1500011735.Telephones%3EC%24cip%3D150 0011737.Digital%2Bcordless%2Btwin%2Bhandsets.htm) don't look bad at all.

MikeyB
09-02-2008, 15:13
Agree with Cerberus about Binatone, been through two of their DECT sets, neither lasted much more than a couple of years.

Got a Panasonic one now, and believe me it's so much better, call quality is so much clearer and louder for that matter, and the battery doesn't run down so quick.

dragon
09-02-2008, 15:34
Avoid any Binatone products and you won't go wrong. Sent my mrs out to get a replacement digital cordless telephone as our old one just broke. She came back with the worst phone I have evr used. I nearly dropped her on the spot. :D

These (http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/5523276/Trail/C%24cip%3D1500011728.Office%2C%2BPC%2Band%2Bphones %3EC%24cip%3D1500011735.Telephones%3EC%24cip%3D150 0011737.Digital%2Bcordless%2Btwin%2Bhandsets.htm) don't look bad at all.

They are ugly to look at, got a Studio 1500 from woolworths in the end.
Was going to get the Twin pack without the anwser-phone but they where out of stock.

Didn't really need the anwserphone part (got 1571) but I turned it on anyway since we're more likely to notice we got a message than with the 1571 (problem with 1571 is we tend to dail the number then hit send and never really listen to the dialtone)

although left 1571 active so it can take a message if the line is busy (although it will take us a while to get the message, for the reason stated above)

Cerberus
09-02-2008, 17:28
:tu:

Hom3r
09-02-2008, 19:43
Look at Skype

dragon
09-02-2008, 21:31
Look at Skype

Actually I have a skype account already as well as SIP phone (hacked 6.2.2.6 homehub).

Kymmy
10-02-2008, 09:53
Try Tesco's for cheap DECT phone. They're normally the same price or cheaper than Argos but usually more local.

Kymmy

dragon
10-02-2008, 11:56
Try Tesco's for cheap DECT phone. They're normally the same price or cheaper than Argos but usually more local.

Kymmy

Pity I already picked one up
Didn't think to try tesco.

Osem
11-02-2008, 09:09
Agree with Cerberus about Binatone, been through two of their DECT sets, neither lasted much more than a couple of years.

Got a Panasonic one now, and believe me it's so much better, call quality is so much clearer and louder for that matter, and the battery doesn't run down so quick.

Different expereicne here - bought a Binatone Elite Quin pack for about £80 IIRC over 5 years ago and they're still going strong.

My only other advice for anyone is to get a model with a handsfree/speakerphone facility.

Matth
12-02-2008, 18:50
If all are gap comparible, you could also link the old handsets with the new base.

dragon
12-02-2008, 23:09
If all are gap comparible, you could also link the old handsets with the new base.

I got rid of the old ones, I did try that and they would see the new base and I could Dial out on them.

I could hear the other person clearly but the person on the other end was complaining of poor voice quality, they said I sounded like a darlik.

Only other thing was had to move the new DECT phone onto another phone socket at the other end of the room.

the new one uses what I think is a Switched mode Power supply rather than the traditional Brick like transformer, (its a lot smaller than most power bricks) problem is I had it on the same socket as the Broadband router and powerline network kit and it was interferaing with the powerline network adaptors.

If I used the UPA adaptors it would degrade the connection quality significantly and cause speed drops.

I tried my homeplug Turbo adaptors i had spare it knocks those otu completely.

Matthew
12-02-2008, 23:16
Have a look here (http://www.telephonesonline.co.uk/). I've currently got a Panasonic set which has been great. Both Panasonic and BT do some good phones and I have always found them to be good, everything else seems to be pretty bad value for money I think.

dragon
13-02-2008, 00:29
Have a look here (http://www.telephonesonline.co.uk/). I've currently got a Panasonic set which has been great. Both Panasonic and BT do some good phones and I have always found them to be good, everything else seems to be pretty bad value for money I think.

Thanks for the suggestion but i've already bought one, which is now working fine.:)

Not looking to buy another one at the moment

tweetypie/8
13-02-2008, 17:56
Different expereicne here - bought a Binatone Elite Quin pack for about £80 IIRC over 5 years ago and they're still going strong.

My only other advice for anyone is to get a model with a handsfree/speakerphone facility.

likewise i have binatone for 4 yrs and no complaints.

Paul
13-02-2008, 20:00
Had a Binatone Quad set for over two years, no major issues with them so far.

stripedcolin@csa
03-12-2008, 16:27
I have a Panasonic dect phone set up and one of the 3 has lost the base station. Everytime I follow the instructions to re register phone it doesent seem to connect up. I am confused about the number of the base stations that come up on the choice to select when re registering Can anyone help please. C

Dai
03-12-2008, 19:07

The prices look good but their website is rubbish with Firefox..

:dunce: