PDA

View Full Version : FTP blocked on VM??

deano_b
07-02-2008, 20:12
Hi.
I cannot access my ( non virgin ) website or indeed ANY FTP site from my pc at home. I have tried 3 different FTP clients, and a few different FTP sites for testing purposes.
I CAN access these FTP sites via testing websites
( ie - http://www.g6ftpserver.com/en/ftptest ) so I know my website is definitely working and accepting FTP requests!

I have disabled my firewall temporarily to test FTP, so I know its not the firewall blocking it.

Any ideas? Do VM block FTP access?

Many thanks in advance

Dean

MovedGoalPosts
07-02-2008, 20:16
VM don't block FTP. I can happily upload and download stuff to websites I control. However, some sites do expect you to access from within their IP, for example VM webspace provided to customers can only be updated from a VM IP conection.

I'd look closely at your ftp client configuration, your antivirus and firewall. If you are browsing via a router are the necessary ports open?

Toto
07-02-2008, 20:16
Nope, VM do not block FTP access, either too an FTP server, or one run on your home network.

deano_b
07-02-2008, 20:29
I'm using a direct connection ( no router ).
My FTP clients' settings are all correct ( have used 3 programs so chances of them all being "wrong" are slim" )

I wonder - the wife recently installed "mywebsearch" tool bar from facebook, which contains spyware. I have deleted this but am thinking something has been corrupted along the way?

Is there a way to "reinstall" ( if that's the correct phrase! ) FTP on my pc?

---------- Post added at 20:29 ---------- Previous post was at 20:21 ----------

Got it!

Windows Firewall was turned on for some reason, as opposed to my 3rd party firewall.

Disabled Windows FW and FTP is working now!
Thanks for the replies guys!

Dean

Horace
07-02-2008, 21:25
I guess this is why VM decided to charge for support..if ANYTHING goes wrong it's their fault.

TehTech
07-02-2008, 21:43
I guess this is why VM decided to charge for support..if ANYTHING goes wrong it's their fault.

NEVER once did the OP blame VM, it was just a question, hence the two questiom marks in the title..

Horace
08-02-2008, 00:43
"FTP blocked on VM??" I guess he's blaming SKY.

dev
08-02-2008, 01:25
NEVER once did the OP blame VM, it was just a question, hence the two questiom marks in the title..

why question something if you're not implying anything? if i start a thread titled 'TehTech is a murderer??' you'd take offense, correct?

TehTech
08-02-2008, 08:04
why question something if you're not implying anything? if i start a thread titled 'TehTech is a murderer??' you'd take offense, correct?

This has NOTHING AT ALL to do with me, so keep your personal assualts to yourself, see, other people dont like it when I jump, yet I'm supposed to sit & take it when OTHERS do it, what an f'n joke

dev
08-02-2008, 14:59
This has NOTHING AT ALL to do with me, so keep your personal assualts to yourself, see, other people dont like it when I jump, yet I'm supposed to sit & take it when OTHERS do it, what an f'n joke

i think you proved my point, i was merely asking a question, well 2.

MovedGoalPosts
08-02-2008, 15:22
Time to stop throwing teddy out of the pram please. No more of this petty behaviour :(