PDA

View Full Version : New install - when does broadband go live?

MrB
07-02-2008, 14:53
Once they have installed the cable and connected your modem (moved from old house as existing VM customer), how long should it normally take for the connection to go live please?

Many thanks

MrB

BenMcr
07-02-2008, 15:03
ex-ntl, once you go to reactivate it through the registration pages. (depending where you live two different ways of doing it)

ex-tw, as soon as the tech confirms it is installed

If you can put the first bit of your postcode, can let you know

Welshchris
07-02-2008, 15:35
it depends if the registration page is working or not, its down more often or not days which mean new modems cant register. Ive heard of users waiting a day or 2 before being able to register.

Sirpingalot
07-02-2008, 15:39
Should be immediate but it can often be hassle - You may need to call CS several times before you get the help you need.

BenMcr
07-02-2008, 15:39
it depends if the registration page is working or not, its down more often or not days which mean new modems cant register. Ive heard of users waiting a day or 2 before being able to register.
No problems yesterday.

Should be immediate but it can often be hassle - You may need to call CS several times before you get the help you need.

done right it is very simple. for ex-ntl as long as you know you PIN/email and password you are 95% of time fine. As I've said ex-tw, you should just be able to plug in and go

There are some very negative people on here ;)

MrB
07-02-2008, 17:15
I am in ex-NTL with existing NTL 250 modem - installed first thing this morning, modem is still flashing green tick on right hand side Ready tick - have spoken to Moves and Transfers who say their system shows everything registered okay - have been transferred to faults but they claim only to deal with TV and as the TV is working, the cable must be okay. Have been told by one CS it can take up to 24 hours, the install guys said 2 hours (now 8 hours later!), another CS 2 mins - now have been given the premium rate line to call which I think is a bit annoying paying 25p a minute to get the service working on install day - I was told to simply plug in my old kit as this would cause less hassle than having new kit and I have spent a day faffing about so far!

Many thanks

MrB

Sirpingalot
07-02-2008, 18:04
There are some very negative people on here ;)

No, I've moved the connection location multiple times and in my experience it's always been hassle.

---------- Post added at 18:04 ---------- Previous post was at 18:02 ----------

I am in ex-NTL with existing NTL 250 modem - installed first thing this morning, modem is still flashing green tick on right hand side Ready tick - have spoken to Moves and Transfers who say their system shows everything registered okay - have been transferred to faults but they claim only to deal with TV and as the TV is working, the cable must be okay. Have been told by one CS it can take up to 24 hours, the install guys said 2 hours (now 8 hours later!), another CS 2 mins - now have been given the premium rate line to call which I think is a bit annoying paying 25p a minute to get the service working on install day - I was told to simply plug in my old kit as this would cause less hassle than having new kit and I have spent a day faffing about so far!

Many thanks

MrB

Go to the modem page > 192.168.100.1

login with the user and pass: root

check if network access is allowed or not.

MrB
07-02-2008, 20:27
Thank you for your comments and suggestions - I reluctantly phoned BB support line and apparently it looks like something has not been connected correctly in the cabinet. I have to wait in for a technician again tomorrow morning - so a wasted day since the install first thing this morning and more time wasted tomorrow waiting for VM.

Many thanks

MrB

MrB
08-02-2008, 08:55
Apologies for my negativity yesterday evening - I was fed up after having spent a frustrating day trying to get the broadband to work. A technician has already been - changed the router as the IP wasn't being recognised - broadband now sorted (and much faster than the neighbours wireless connection which I have relied on since I moved in ;)).

Just as a suggestion for any VM people reading this. I suggest updating the install procedure/protocol. As part of an install, if the installers leave for the system to refresh or whatever it does (I was told it could take a few hours - and I wouldn't expect them to wait around until it refreshes!) then it should be policy for the installer to phone back a few hours later to check that the kit is working properly and if not arrange for it to be resolved quickly (that day ideally) either by coming back themselves or sending a technician. It may only be a 1 minute phone call - the cost in time and money would be more than off set by the curent alternative.

As it is, it is for the customer to chase various support lines (in my case, being given a different response each time as it happens :rolleyes: - wait 2 hours, wait 2 minutes, wait 24 hours ... it cannot be resolved by waiting, we need to send a technician!) to then get someone else to come out to resolve the problem that shouldn't be there if the install was signed off satisfactorily. I am sure that I am not an isolated incident and this must be costing VM a lot of money (and customers a lot of frustration as the "new toy" does not work as intended, which takes the shine off an otherwise excellent install).

Anyway, many thanks for suggestions.

MrB

PS - Why is it that you can only edit briefly after submitting a message and don't have an option to amend or delete later, as you do on other discussion boards?