PDA

View Full Version : Newbie in need of your help

VM2B
04-02-2008, 20:13
Hey Guys,

Its my first post on this great site, and im needing your help reagrding an installation which will tkae place later this week.

Firstly, we have virgin media broadband here connected to a 'Telewest broadband' box im guessing this is becos telwest is now VM. Also we have a telewest phone box and a BT phone box downstairs.

Later this week the tech will be adding TV and VM phone, although we have a Telewest phonebox I have requested that they put another phonebox upstairs so we can connect the phone upstairs. Also, we have been told that we can install the TV anywhere we want, and just tell the tech.

The internet will stay as it is downstairs, i guess which is ok as it is connected to a wireless router.

My main question is, how will they install this new phone box upstairs? How will it be wired? Will it look crap? It will not be in the outside wall, but the wall between two rooms.

Also, the same for the TV connection, this will be in a different room than where the phonebox is to be installed.

I have read some of the posts here, but tbh they are toooo complicated for me to understand, so please guys keep it simple for me please! Thanks so much!

Look forward to hearing from you.

Mathias
04-02-2008, 20:37
Hey Guys,

Its my first post on this great site, and im needing your help reagrding an installation which will tkae place later this week.

Firstly, we have virgin media broadband here connected to a 'Telewest broadband' box im guessing this is becos telwest is now VM. Also we have a telewest phone box and a BT phone box downstairs.

Later this week the tech will be adding TV and VM phone, although we have a Telewest phonebox I have requested that they put another phonebox upstairs so we can connect the phone upstairs. Also, we have been told that we can install the TV anywhere we want, and just tell the tech.

The internet will stay as it is downstairs, i guess which is ok as it is connected to a wireless router.

My main question is, how will they install this new phone box upstairs? How will it be wired? Will it look crap? It will not be in the outside wall, but the wall between two rooms.

Also, the same for the TV connection, this will be in a different room than where the phonebox is to be installed.

I have read some of the posts here, but tbh they are toooo complicated for me to understand, so please guys keep it simple for me please! Thanks so much!

Look forward to hearing from you.

Is there any reason why you wouldn't prefer a wireless phone(s)??? There fairly affordable nowadays, and don't need unsightly internal wiring. I'm assuming that aforementioned (we) is your partner, and you don't share a bedsit!

VM2B
04-02-2008, 21:34
Hey,

Yes we do, and that is why we want to connect the base handset to the phonebox up stairs.

How will it be connected, will it be just a wire going around and up the stairs?

What about the connection for the TV?

Thanks

Jonnymeg
04-02-2008, 21:50
The wire will be clipped internally to skirting boards. In my opinion this is really ugly.
If i were you i would just have the one downstairs connected and buy a decent set of cordless phones. You can get a set with two handsets for around £30 nowadays.

Mathias
05-02-2008, 00:33
The wire will be clipped internally to skirting boards. In my opinion this is really ugly.
If i were you i would just have the one downstairs connected and buy a decent set of cordless phones. You can get a set with two handsets for around £30 nowadays.

Yep!... I hear yer! We're definitely singing from the same hymn sheet!

VM2B
05-02-2008, 10:50
I did say that we have cordless phones already, lol, both of you missed it! lol

I wanted to know how it will be connected thats all.

So how will the TV be connected?

lostandconfused
05-02-2008, 12:01
I did say that we have cordless phones already, lol, both of you missed it! lol

I wanted to know how it will be connected thats all.

So how will the TV be connected?

You'll have a white box (usually in the front room) where the broadband comes into the house.

They will either run a cable from there to where you want the TV located, clipped to the skirting board.

Or they could use the current cable for the broadband, put a splitter on the end and run a cable from that point to where you want the TV