PDA

View Full Version : How are multiple VM services provided?

rtidrtid
04-02-2008, 15:28
Hello There,

I am getting the VM 3 for £30 deal.

Do all 3 services (phone, TV and broadband) come into my house on 1 cable, then split into 3 services once its in the house?

(I have no existing services at the moment)

I then presume the 3 services are extended to wherever i need them in the house?

I am getting everything installed next week and want to prepare as much as i can! Or at least think about it!

Any help is appreciated!

Mathias
04-02-2008, 16:31
Technically, you'll have a SIAMESE cable (twinned) running from a Green Cabinet to a Box (OMNI) on an outside wall of your house. Essentially it's TWO cables stuck together, One COAXIAL and the other TELCO.
The INSTALL TECH will make a connection via a drilled hole from the box outside to where the customer wishes (WITHOUT CONTRAVENING HEALTH & SAFETY OF COURSE!) within the property.
The TELCO cable carries the phone signal and the COAX handles both the TV and BROADBAND, but must also be SPLIT (1in 2out) to feed a seperate SET TOP BOX (STB) and STAND ALONE CABLE MODEM (SACM).

Hope that clarifies STUFF 4 YER!

---------- Post added at 16:31 ---------- Previous post was at 16:11 ----------

Technically, you'll have a SIAMESE cable (twinned) running from a Green Cabinet to a Box (OMNI) on an outside wall of your house. Essentially it's TWO cables stuck together, One COAXIAL and the other TELCO.
The INSTALL TECH will make a connection via a drilled hole from the box outside to where the customer wishes (WITHOUT CONTRAVENING HEALTH & SAFETY OF COURSE!) within the property.
The TELCO cable carries the phone signal and the COAX handles both the TV and BROADBAND, but must also be SPLIT (1in 2out) to feed a seperate SET TOP BOX (STB) and STAND ALONE CABLE MODEM (SACM).

multiskilled
04-02-2008, 16:41

---------- Post added at 16:31 ---------- Previous post was at 16:11 ----------

Hmm a post with an echo? :D

Perfect Choice
04-02-2008, 16:43
Once the cable is split from the OMNI box, the cabling will typically be attached to the outside of your property to the multiple locations where you want the cable to enter and holes drilled through.

The point here is that you then have 3 cables running around the outside your house if they need to be drilled through at different locations to where the OMNI box is put on the outside of your house to first terminate the VM cable from the street to your property. Your TV, PC and telephone may be located in different parts of your house so you need to decide how the cable will get to them, how much is outside and whether you will cable inside (get a wireless router if I were you for broadband which if you had ADSL before means you have to buy a new router)

So think where you want the OMNI box located and decide how the cabling will go around your house.

In my own case I had ducting put under the brick work at the front of my house to hide the cables otherwise it may look a little “busy” with 2 thick and one thin (phone) cable attached to your house to where you want them to be drilled through, if you want the OMNI box to be fixed to your house away from where the cabling will enter your house. All down to individual circumstances of course.

On the inside the installation engineer will fix sufficient cabling attached to your TV. etc where the entry point is in the same room as the item. They will not cable around the inside of your house so make sure they drill through where you want them to avoid problems, better to sort out with cabling on the outside rather than the inside IMHO. I’ve also heard of bad experiences where cable has been left across the floor of a room to get to the destination like a TV, not my experience but shows you need to think about the cable entry points to the inside of your property.

rtidrtid
04-02-2008, 16:48
thanks Mathias! that does help.

I may try to prepare the cable split from the box coming into my house for broadband and tv before the engineer comes to save time!

I want to split my tv connection into 3 rooms from the connection coming into my house. (all will watch the same channels as i dont want seperate STB in each room)

Anyone recommend any decent splitters? Or will i lose too much on the signal taking 1 connection and splitting it into 3?

Graham M
04-02-2008, 17:00
Hmm a post with an echo? :D

He looks to be shouting at himself

---------- Post added at 17:00 ---------- Previous post was at 16:58 ----------

I want to split my tv connection into 3 rooms from the connection coming into my house. (all will watch the same channels as i dont want seperate STB in each room)

Well you don't split the incoming VM coax for that... In fact you don't touch the incoming VM coax at all unless you want to pay every time an engineer has to fix it?

icstm
04-02-2008, 17:18
On the inside the installation engineer will fix sufficient cabling attached to your TV. etc where the entry point is in the same room as the item. They will not cable around the inside of your house so make sure they drill through where you want them to avoid problems, better to sort out with cabling on the outside rather than the inside IMHO. I’ve also heard of bad experiences where cable has been left across the floor of a room to get to the destination like a TV, not my experience but shows you need to think about the cable entry points to the inside of your property.

This worries me slightly. I am looking to have BB, TV (and phone) installed. The flat used to have VM but now only the phone wire remains. The Cable box is right above the front door.

I want them to run a wire neatly to the lounge which splits for TV and BB and I would also like a cable in a bedroom for Radio.

Is that possible?

I don't want cable just thrown around the place!

rtidrtid
04-02-2008, 17:32
thanks Zeph. I was going to put the splitter after the OMNI box in my house, i presume this is okay?!

---------- Post added at 17:32 ---------- Previous post was at 17:21 ----------

icstm - i've been told they wont do the neat parts for you! they just want it up and running and off to their next job.

From advice i've had, best to make sure you tell them where you want the services then just let them do their job. Once they're done, its time to do the neat part yourself...

Graham M
04-02-2008, 17:46
thanks Zeph. I was going to put the splitter after the OMNI box in my house, i presume this is okay?!

No, it needs to be after the Set top box, AT THE MOMENT SOME TVs can reach a high enough range to display the unscrambled Analogue content, but this will be disappearing eventually so it's a bit of a pointless exercise.

Perfect Choice
04-02-2008, 18:06
icstm – I think the case I was referring to was another post here some time ago where the cable entered a room on one side but the TV was at the other end of the room. I would expect the engineer to leave you enough cable length to go around the edge of your room but it will be up to you to do it “neatly” This is my own experience here and what I’ve learnt on cable forum.

Mathias
04-02-2008, 19:24
This worries me slightly. I am looking to have BB, TV (and phone) installed. The flat used to have VM but now only the phone wire remains. The Cable box is right above the front door.

I want them to run a wire neatly to the lounge which splits for TV and BB and I would also like a cable in a bedroom for Radio.

Is that possible?

I don't want cable just thrown around the place!

Don't think cable provides seperate radio now, but the STB has radio channels as well as tv... Sorry for the unintentional echo earlier! I'm new to foruming (totally made up word!)

rtidrtid
04-02-2008, 19:52
thanks Zeph. Is there another way of getting VM in other rooms that you recommend?

icstm
05-02-2008, 15:40
Thanks,
I'll bear that in mind.
How many connections can you reasonably ask the technician to install, if I am getting TV, BB and phone?

I was hoping for 2 in the lounge for TV/BB and 1 in a bedroom again for TV/BB should I move it around.

The phone cable is already in the flat.

Perfect Choice
05-02-2008, 16:20
They will only put the primary cables in unless you have a second STB in the bedroom as an additional service. Thus you will get 2 cables put into your lounge after routed on the outside of your property to a suitbale entry point through the wall.

You will have to do the cabling to your bedroom if you move the TV/BB later to your bedroom, unless you want to pay VM to do it at a later date when you do this change. I would investigate on this forum for alternative methods. Other people have done this so take their advice as I haven't!