PDA

View Full Version : New install

justjohn
04-02-2008, 03:51
Hi

After at least 5 calls to customer support and a lot of head banging I ended up here.

Virgin Media self install, went fairly painless in my sons new house, the house had all the wire from the previous occupant so basically it was plug and play.

Not so, BB tested with my laptop and surfed a few sites okay. Next day setup sons PC and it keeps giving error message "Limited or no connectivity"

Tried rebooting etc. CS says as lights are steady they can do no more, will not even send an engineer, although an engineer is coming on Tuesday as the phone does not work either.

Any suggestions how to check the cable modem etc?

Are they any settings for the PC?
TIA
John

Cerberus
04-02-2008, 04:30
:welcome:

How are you connecting the PC? Wirelessly or directly to the modem, or via a router?

If you are using a router then power that down and the modem. Wait about 30 seconds then power the modem on first. Once the lights are stable on the modem then power the router back on.

Seems strange that your lappy works, but your sons PC isn't. Have you tried connecting your lappy again?

You can login to the modem config by going to http://192.168.100.1/ and entering the username & pass as root, but this will only give you information relative to the modem and not anything to do with connection problems.

Cerberus
04-02-2008, 06:41
You can also try a repair in Windows, which should disconnect you from the network and repair the connection. Also, in addition to the above. When powering down your modem and/or router. Make sure your son's PC is switched off too.

justjohn
04-02-2008, 07:36
:welcome:

How are you connecting the PC? Wirelessly or directly to the modem, or via a router?

If you are using a router then power that down and the modem. Wait about 30 seconds then power the modem on first. Once the lights are stable on the modem then power the router back on.

Seems strange that your lappy works, but your sons PC isn't. Have you tried connecting your lappy again?

You can login to the modem config by going to http://192.168.100.1/ and entering the username & pass as root, but this will only give you information relative to the modem and not anything to do with connection problems.

Just using the VM cable Modem that came with the system, no router at this time although we initially tried to set it up with a wireless router which we shelved until we can get the connection fixed.
The laptop no longer works either?

Once we login to the modem should we set up anything? Never tried this but at the stage were desperate as the call centre just revolves around in circles.
PS we did try repairing windows without success, "windows cannot repair this connection"

Cerberus
04-02-2008, 14:54
What lights are currently showing on the modem? Did you also call Virgin Media after you installed the modem? I think (if memory serves me correctly) you need to contact VM to give them the MAC address of the modem.

You may also wish to browse through this. (http://www.virginmedia.com/help/support/broadband_cat_iassist_browsing.php)

justjohn
04-02-2008, 15:53
What lights are currently showing on the modem? Did you also call Virgin Media after you installed the modem? I think (if memory serves me correctly) you need to contact VM to give them the MAC address of the modem.

You may also wish to browse through this. (http://www.virginmedia.com/help/support/broadband_cat_iassist_browsing.php)

Two lights on constantly and PC light flashes continuously.
(not in front of modem at present)

Never called anyone as the laptop was working, will go through all the stages mentioned previously and update the thread.

justjohn
05-02-2008, 15:24
Just an update on this.

Technical support is just a joke and needs serious attention, after costing an absolute fortune in mobile calls from 3 different phones and Asia saying that everything is okay with the modem and the fault is with the PC ranging from network card, windows xp not genuine, settings etc.

It turned out to be the Modem. I ran the tests listed on this forum and was fairly sure it was the modem, I said earlier the phone was not working and an engineer was booked for this morning. Plus another engineer booked for Wednesday for the BB issue which we were informed would likely cost £70 as we have been told the fault was with the PC.

Told my son / daughter in law to ask nicely if he could have a shufty at the BB while he was here. Phone engineer was really helpful, fixed the phone by turning it on outside somewhere in the street, it was disabled.

He had a spare modem, stuck it on and hey presto everything is working.

All you have to do is get past Asia and the written script.

Many thanks to all who helped, not racist by any means but this was a mind numbing experience.

again many thanks
John