PDA

View Full Version : One cable for two services?

Great One
31-01-2008, 12:26
Hi

Sorry for the amatuer question, i'm not that clued up on IT and hardware

Was just wondering if one coaxial cable can be used for both TV and the Broadband modem.

Basically, I'm getting an additional STB for my room, and I have the net in my room, so rather than having two coaxial cables running upstairs from the front room, can I use one cable to go into my room, then split it into two, using a splitter and two short coaxial cables to use for the STB and modem?

if yes, would running two things off one cable effect the bandwidth/quality of either service?

some advice would be greatly appreciated

thanks

Paul K
31-01-2008, 12:42
Are VM doing the install? If they are then don't worry as they will probably look at what service you have piped to your room and then use that output for the STB via a splitter, make sure you get them to check the signal levels on both STB and SACM when finished though.

Great One
31-01-2008, 14:27
thanks for the reply

Yes, VM are doing the install, but the sales advisor that I spoke to when requesting the additional STB, said that a £75 charge would be made if I want any changes to my Broadband set up, regardless of how big or small the job is??? I thought he was nuts, but thats what he clearly stated.

I reckon the engineer will be a bit more clued up and sort out the cabling for both TV and BB when he visits me tomorrow morning, but just incase he bangs on about the £75, i'll have to do it myself

Thanks for the hint on asking them to check signal levels, I wouldn't have known about that