PDA

View Full Version : UK Timeline [Merged] Ashes to Ashes

sir_drinks_alot
09-07-2007, 14:04
Ashes To Ashes the life on mars spin off show this ones set in 1981 the leed Sam will be played my keeley hawes.and and also see the return much loved Characters Gene ray and Chris (no annie tho :() same sort of set up as Before.

cimt
09-07-2007, 14:08
Later this year it comes on isn't it? I don't think it will be good without John Simm coz him thinking he's going mental was part of the goodness of it all. Is this meant to be set a couple of years after or something happened to them to make them think they're in the future?

Chris
09-07-2007, 15:43
Later this year it comes on isn't it? I don't think it will be good without John Simm coz him thinking he's going mental was part of the goodness of it all. Is this meant to be set a couple of years after or something happened to them to make them think they're in the future?

It's 1981, which is 7 years after Life on Mars. But I wouldn't read too much into the setting or Gene Hunt's presence in the story - an awful lot of that went on after the final episode of Life on Mars was aired, but an interview with one of the creators in the Manchester Evening News within a week put paid to most of the theories of what it all meant.

It was quite straightforward in the end - he was in a coma, he was having some kind of delusion or dream in his coma, he woke up, didn't like life any more, and committed suicide by jumping off Police HQ's roof. His 'return' to 1973 at the very end took place in the final minutes of his life in the real world. We never get to see just how long Sam gets to live in the 1970s during those final seconds.

However we do know that while briefly back at work in 2006, he filed a complete report of his 1970s dream for the benefit of a police psychologist - who will now be played by Keely Hawes in Ashes to Ashes. Expect for her to get a nasty bump on the head and then find herself in her own delusional world whose characters and situations are fuelled not just by her own upbringing (as Sam's was) but also by having just read Sam's incredible story of Gene Hunt and co.

It's going to be fun, but don't expect it to be any deeper or strangely metaphysical than that.

EDIT

...Unless, of course, the creators' description of what it meant having been in the MEN and not actually within the programme itself, they change their minds and decide to portray it as some kind of alternate reality ... :spin:

But I doubt it. :)

Maggy
09-07-2007, 15:57
The point is that the ending is open to whatever interpretation the viewer cares to put to it.Those are always the best endings in my opinion.

That was the reason why I loved the end of The Prisoner...I didn't need anyone to explain it to me because I could put my own interpretation as to what had happened. :)

Chris
09-07-2007, 16:05
The point is that the ending is open to whatever interpretation the viewer cares to put to it.Those are always the best endings in my opinion.

That was the reason why I loved the end of The Prisoner...I didn't need anyone to explain it to me because I could put my own interpretation as to what had happened. :)

It's open if you choose to believe it is. But the fact is, Matthew Graham, the lead writer and co-creator, has gone on the record to say what the final scene is meant to show:

“The truth is, when I wrote it, what I was trying to say is that’s he’s died, and that for however long that last second of life is going to be, it will stretch out for an age, as an eternity for him. And so when he drives off in that car, he’s really driving off into the afterlife.”

From: http://blogs.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/ianwylie/2007/04/life_on_mars_the_answers.html

Hugh
09-07-2007, 16:08
So why didn't he just say/show that, rather than leave it open to interpretation?

And the article also says -
"So is this the last we’ll see of Sam Tyler, happy in 1973 cop heaven?
Matthew’s not sure. “You shouldn’t write him off completely.
"You never know with Life On Mars.”

Chris
09-07-2007, 16:13
So why didn't he just say/show that, rather than leave it open to interpretation?

It's your interpretation that he left it open to interpretation. ;) When they created the series they didn't believe they were creating a mystery. Another quote from MEN:

To be honest with you, I was always slightly surprised that people thought there was a genuine mystery. To me, it was very obvious – he got hit by a car, the doctors and nurses were speaking to him over the radio and through the television and he was in a coma.

I think the explosion of speculation and interpretation is a function of the success of the programme and the cult success it achieved. Once that happens, the fans always like to think they have taken ownership of the story. Go join Outpost Gallifrey and sample some of the batty threads the Dr Who fans have going on over there if you want an extreme example of this phenomenon. :D

The Manchester Evening News blog, which contains the extended version of their interview with Michael Graham, is well worth a read if you haven't seen it:http://blogs.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/ianwylie/2007/04/life_on_mars_the_answers.html

Indeed. And that's the beauty of it. Despite what the writers intended, they subsequently discovered that their conveyance of it within the story was sufficiently ambiguous for people to put other interpretations on it. Seeing as their intentions were not adequately pinned down in the story, they could very well do something with Ashes to Ashes that takes Sam's story in a direction that they didn't themselves originally plan.

Personally I don't think they will, and that final quote is probably just the author playing up to the mystique and the hype Life on Mars generated, but we'll have to wait and see.

Maggy
09-07-2007, 16:14

Mind the cynical among us might interpret that to mean "I'm holding out for more money". ;)

Silent Wings
26-01-2008, 21:54
http://www.bbc.co.uk/drama/ashestoashes/

Something decent to watch at last.

Cobbydaler
26-01-2008, 22:12
Yes, let's hope DCI Hunt is just as non-PC as he was in Life on Mars.... :)

sir_drinks_alot
26-01-2008, 22:39
We already have a thread about this show ;)

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/23/33617447-ashes-to-ashes.html

Cobbydaler
26-01-2008, 22:44
Oh yes, last post back in July 2007...

Sorry, should have remembered. :rolleyes:

As you couldn't be bothered, here's a link (http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/23/33617447-ashes-to-ashes.html)...

Mods please merge to satisfy s_d_a

MovedGoalPosts
26-01-2008, 22:44
Ms Hawes is extremely yummy in the trailers currently being shown.

This will be a must for the V+ recordings.

sir_drinks_alot
26-01-2008, 22:50
Oh yes, last post back in July 2007...

Sorry, should have remembered. :rolleyes:

As you couldn't be bothered, here's a link (http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/23/33617447-ashes-to-ashes.html)...

Mods please merge to satisfy s_d_a

If you look you will find i did link it ;)

Ya just wonder if this will be half as good as life on mars

Cobbydaler
26-01-2008, 22:58
If you look you will find i did link it ;)

Ya just wonder if this will be half as good as life on mars

Sorry, wasn't there when I read your post. Must have caught it half way through you submitting it...

Stephen
26-01-2008, 23:49
From the trailers this already looks like it will be just a good as Life on Mars.

Also I was Born in 1981 so I should maybe remember some of the things that get referenced this time around :)

Cobbydaler
26-01-2008, 23:53
From the trailers this already looks like it will be just a good as Life on Mars.

Also I was Born in 1981 so I should maybe remember some of the things that get referenced this time around :)

Crikey, you must have a good memory! It's set in 1981... ;)

Stephen
27-01-2008, 13:57
You'd be surprised, lol.

well most of the things that were around in '81 were still around a few years later. :)

tweetypie/8
27-01-2008, 16:08
Ashes To Ashes the life on mars spin off show this ones set in 1981 the leed Sam will be played my keeley hawes.and and also see the return much loved Characters Gene ray and Chris (no annie tho :() same sort of set up as Before.

cant wait for it,if its comes close to life on mars it will do me.:D

SMHarman
27-01-2008, 23:29
Interview with Philip Glennister / Gene Hunt in the Times Culture section today...

http://entertainment.timesonline.co.uk/tol/arts_and_entertainment/tv_and_radio/article3241252.ece

A teaser...

When Gene Hunt steps out of his Audi Quattro and into Ashes to Ashes, the first thing we see is a snakeskin cowboy boot. It slaps onto the concrete outside a derelict industrial building, then stands as the camera crawls up the solid, nononsense frame above its pointy toe and cuban heel. Finally, the lens comes to rest on Hunt’s stern, craggy face, and his laconic Manchester drawl rings out across the car park: “Today, my friend, your diary entry will read, ‘Took a prozzie hostage and was shot by three armed *******s.’ ”

It’s beautiful timing. Until Hunt’s arrival, the sequel to Life on Mars has been more than slightly upsetting. The effervescent Keeley Hawes plays Alex Drake, a police psychologist who receives a tape from an officer – Sam Tyler – who has just committed suicide. (Okay, wait: if you didn’t see the hit BBC series Life on Mars, here’s what you need to know. Tyler had an accident and woke up in 1973. Was he mad, or in a coma, or had he been taken back in time? Whatever happened, it was as if he had landed on a different planet. He thought that maybe, if he could work out the reason he was there, he could get home. Then he killed himself.)

Drake has a daughter, and is driving her to school when she gets involved in a hostage situation with a gunman who has asked for her by name. Awful things happen, and her poor daughter seems in terrible jeopardy. Then Drake takes a bullet to the head and wakes up on a boat on the Thames. Before she can say “Why am I dressed as a prostitute at a party where the only music they are playing is from 1981?”, she’s in a scuffle with a posh drug-dealer, and we don’t know why, what’s happened to her daughter, whether she’s dying or what on earth she’s doing in 1981. Then Gene Hunt arrives, and we know everything’s going to be all right.

---------- Post added at 18:29 ---------- Previous post was at 18:27 ----------

I imagine there are going to be some interesting Gene Hunt isms. If they are continuing with Gene knowing Sam in the past and his mad ramblings about cellphones and cotton mills being turned into luxury apartments then he is going to start discovering that the rants were not so mad!

Chris
07-02-2008, 16:29
Heads up ... it's on tonight at 9pm. Our phone will be off the hook. :D

Maggy
07-02-2008, 17:50
Heads up ... it's on tonight at 9pm. Our phone will be off the hook. :D

Sadly as is the usual state of affairs I have a clash.I've managed to keep up with the last series of Eureka on the Sci Fi channel on Thursdays at 9pm.Well as they don't seem to be repeating that series anywhere I may hope to hell that Ashes will be on catch up TV or on the BBC player.

Why do I have this problem? I only watch tv for about an hour 2 or 3 times a week but I always get a clash.:mad: So much crap the rest of the week too.:mad:

Damien
07-02-2008, 18:13
Sadly as is the usual state of affairs I have a clash.I've managed to keep up with the last series of Eureka on the Sci Fi channel on Thursdays at 9pm.Well as they don't seem to be repeating that series anywhere I may hope to hell that Ashes will be on catch up TV or on the BBC player.

Why do I have this problem? I only watch tv for about an hour 2 or 3 times a week but I always get a clash.:mad: So much crap the rest of the week too.:mad:

It should be on iPlayer

alferret
07-02-2008, 18:27

Would you like me to record this for you and pop it in the post? Wouldnt be a problem :)

Maggy
07-02-2008, 18:38
Would you like me to record this for you and pop it in the post? Wouldnt be a problem :)

I'll see if it appears on the BBC player first.If it doesn't I may ask you for next week.:)

alferret
07-02-2008, 18:44
I'll see if it appears on the BBC player first.If it doesn't I may ask you for next week.:)

No probs :tu:

Chris
07-02-2008, 18:49

It's bound to be on the iPlayer. Whether or not the BBC has sufficient bandwidth for you to watch it is another matter!

Halcyon
07-02-2008, 18:57
Looking forward to watching this.

alferret
07-02-2008, 19:27
Looking forward to watching this.

Me too, infact Thursday nights are taken up by 2 1/2hrs of BBC now, what with ender\waterloo rd and now Ashes :)

sir_drinks_alot
07-02-2008, 21:41
Nice way to tie up the lose ends left my life on mars ;)

Russ
07-02-2008, 22:00
Nice way to tie up the lose ends left my life on mars ;)

Well they did say they didn't find his body.

Anyway, this looks like it'll be just as good as LoM - but for some reason I prefer this Gene Hunt.

Ah well there go my thursday evenings for the next few months :D

cimt
07-02-2008, 22:00
It was a good first episode, it pretty much tied up Sam's death.

Cobbydaler
07-02-2008, 22:02
Loved it, some wonderful Huntisms... :D

Stephen
07-02-2008, 22:03
Amazing! some of Gene's one liners were great.

Uniform you're the C Team, Drake you're the B Team and I'm the A Team, lol :)

Saaf_laandon_mo
07-02-2008, 22:14
Fire up the Quattro

sir_drinks_alot
07-02-2008, 22:16
as a kid in the 80's i was more than happy to see zippy and george and other references to thing's from that time :)

Russ
07-02-2008, 22:16
Fire up the Quattro

I have a feeling that's going to be the most popular Huntism this series :D

Marge
07-02-2008, 22:17
Currently showing on BBC4 is Life On Mars :)

Saaf_laandon_mo
07-02-2008, 22:43
I think I will prefer this more to Life on Mars simply because I can identify with the 80s. My older sister's hubby also had an Audi Quattro and I used to love that car.

Vienna is one of my fave songs of all time so any series which has this playing within the first 5 mins or so is always going to be a classic.

sir_drinks_alot
07-02-2008, 23:01
I wanna know about what happend to Annie Cartwright she was big part of life on mars but from watching ashes you'd not know she ever existed at all :(

Chris
07-02-2008, 23:08
:tu: Very good indeed. Admit it people, you all wanted to cheer when Gene Hunt turned up. :D

dilli-theclaw
07-02-2008, 23:09
Not seen life on mars yet, but I have borrowed it so I may watch it tomorrow.

Halcyon
08-02-2008, 20:01
Took me a little while to fit into the new series after Life On Mars but now can't wait until the next episode.

Cobbydaler
08-02-2008, 20:14
:tu: Very good indeed. Admit it people, you all wanted to cheer when Gene Hunt turned up. :D

'My reputation precedes me...' :D

spike7451
08-02-2008, 22:08
Some classic Gene Genie one liners...

"Seeing you with that <gun> all in leather gives me the horn!".......

"OK Miss Bollinger knickers"....

"If that skirt got shorter,I'd see what you had for dinner".....

Trust the Gene Genie.!!

Mal
08-02-2008, 22:31
For the Gene Hunt fans (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Rules-Modern-Policing-1973-Life/dp/0593060202/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=gateway&qid=1202509816&sr=8-1) :D

tweetypie/8
10-02-2008, 00:10

watched the first episode last night and was impressed.;)

SMHarman
13-02-2008, 19:15
I'm feeling very ex-pat now. I might get LOST broadcast to me in HD and recorded on my DVR for zero effort but to watch Ashes to Ashes is some serious effort well more of a thank you easynews (and I love that my DVD player plays divx.avi files).

A good start, certainly an opening episode setting up the characters. I look forward to next week.

Is it being broadcast in HD. I had to watch an admitedly very high quality SD broadcast. Last night watching that made me briefly miss working in London, as did trudging through 3 in of snow home last night.

Cobbydaler
13-02-2008, 19:18
Not being broadcast in HD here yet, but I watched it through my V+ via HDMI & the quality seemed well above average for SD...

Stephen
13-02-2008, 19:48
No HD broadcast unfortunately although the PQ is very good.

supremus
14-02-2008, 00:31
Not a great first episode. For one thing, it didn't really feel like they nailed the 80s as well as LoM did with the 70s, and the episode had more than a few very suspect moments. Style over substance, really, but probably about as good as you can expect from British TV. <shrugs>

SMHarman
14-02-2008, 14:37
Not a great first episode. For one thing, it didn't really feel like they nailed the 80s as well as LoM did with the 70s, and the episode had more than a few very suspect moments. Style over substance, really, but probably about as good as you can expect from British TV. <shrugs>Possibly because you remember the 80s more than the 70s (I have no idea how old you are so this is a guess). I think if you compare to S1E1 of LOM it is comparable.

Stu038
14-02-2008, 21:02
Not a great first episode. For one thing, it didn't really feel like they nailed the 80s as well as LoM did with the 70s, and the episode had more than a few very suspect moments. Style over substance, really,

I disagree, I think that they got it pretty close, folks tend to forget just how many changes in styles and fashions there were through the 80s it wasn't all Spandau ballet and Duran Duran thank god. 1981 was still very much Saturday Night Fever with a bit of Fame attitude thrown in for good measure

The Jam, the clash, the Police, Siouxsie & the Banshees, Blondie and The Damned were all going strong. The New Romantics were just staring to make an impression :( and the "alternative" comedians such as Elton, Fry and Laurie, Enfield, Mayall and Sayle were just around the corner.

Besides much of what I remember about the 80s was style over substance anyway :D Just look at the Joan Colins Fan club :D

but probably about as good as you can expect from British TV. <shrugs>

I take you haven't got a very high opinion of British television then. :(

WHISTLED
14-02-2008, 21:04
I thought the last episode was twonk - Watching now but not holding my breath

Saaf_laandon_mo
14-02-2008, 21:09
I've watched episode 1 more than once and there are some cringing moments in it. I think they've made it a bit more comical than Life on Mars, its not as subtle. Having said that its still good overall.

Russ
14-02-2008, 21:13
The scene on the snooker table..... :spin:

Anyway - Gene Hunt for PM!

WHISTLED
14-02-2008, 21:14
Pink or brown guv - haha

Cobbydaler
14-02-2008, 22:14
"Careful Bolls, that Formica was hewn from the hills above Florence" :D

Hugh
14-02-2008, 22:25
Worrying thing is, I had the same coat in 1981 as the Cockernee property developer was wearing......

And I went to Blitz (and Billy's) - God, I feel old.

supremus
16-02-2008, 03:56
I disagree, I think that they got it pretty close, folks tend to forget just how many changes in styles and fashions there were through the 80s it wasn't all Spandau ballet and Duran Duran thank god. 1981 was still very much Saturday Night Fever with a bit of Fame attitude thrown in for good measureWhat I mean is, the period was very much a part of LoM's identity, while AtA seems to rely almost entirely on Gene Hunt in a way that borders on self parody, if not outright contrivance.

I take you haven't got a very high opinion of British television then. :(In terms of drama? No. It's mostly quite awful. LoM was a step up, though, but there's a long way to go, and AtA seems to have stumbled backwards.

sir_drinks_alot
16-02-2008, 21:55
Wonder if there will se a second season just to tie up all the ends ;)

skattie
19-02-2008, 09:18
I'm sure the 1st episode (which we caught) was on catch-up TVOD but the second one (which we missed) isn't...
I think it's on BBC3 after the 3rd episode on BBC1 on Thurs, so will have to watch it then.
But why is TVOD so hit and miss, you never know if a program will be available or not? And I just found out my kids are paying a £1 a time to watch ER on demand
- which used to be free :mad:

Maggy
19-02-2008, 11:55
I'm sure the 1st episode (which we caught) was on catch-up TVOD but the second one (which we missed) isn't...
I think it's on BBC3 after the 3rd episode on BBC1 on Thurs, so will have to watch it then.
But why is TVOD so hit and miss, you never know if a program will be available or not? And I just found out my kids are paying a £1 a time to watch ER on demand
- which used to be free :mad:

Episode 2 is on Catch up TV on demand..Press the on demand button go to Catch up TV on Demand,choose A-Z and Ashes to Ashes 14/2/08 is available.:)

SMHarman
19-02-2008, 14:46
What night does it first run?

Aragorn
19-02-2008, 15:29
What night does it first run?
Thursday, 9pm BBC1

skattie
20-02-2008, 21:26
Episode 2 is on Catch up TV on demand..Press the on demand button go to Catch up TV on Demand,choose A-Z and Ashes to Ashes 14/2/08 is available.:)

thx = yes watching it now...but it weren't there 2 days ago (Mon) so it was at least 4 days late...

SMHarman
21-02-2008, 21:59
Is the more music focussed than LOM or is it just I recognise the music more. I notice that the A2A site on BBC lists the tracks on the episode so maybe it is not just me.

Halcyon
21-02-2008, 22:49
Thought tonights episode was good, but I still feel that I prefer Life On Mars more.

Talking of tonights episode, did anyone see the news straight afterwards. Very similar content to the episode.

SMHarman
21-02-2008, 22:53
Thought tonights episode was good, but I still feel that I prefer Life On Mars more.

Talking of tonights episode, did anyone see the news straight afterwards. Very similar content to the episode.I found that a little surreal last week watching A2A on the Charles and Di wedding and then watching the news on the Di death conspiracy.

alferret
13-03-2008, 22:25
Season 2 to start filming Aug-08 and the option to take up a 3rd season.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/hi/entertainment/newsid_7293000/7293756.stm

Cobbydaler
13-03-2008, 22:28
Season 2 to start filming Aug-08 and the option to take up a 3rd season.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/hi/entertainment/newsid_7293000/7293756.stm

Good to know that, it is getting better episode by episode IMO...

Russ
18-02-2009, 09:41
*Bumpage * :D

Info about the new series......

http://www.mirror.co.uk/tv-entertainment/tv/tv-land/2009/02/18/roland-rat-to-star-in-ashes-to-ashes-115875-21131778/

Roland Rat AND Mrs McCluskey!!!

Chris
23-02-2009, 13:00
Yessss, I'm so glad this is coming back!

sir_drinks_alot
10-04-2009, 06:54
the show returns on april 21st at 21:00 see thay are switching it from Thursday to life on mars is old slot on a Tuesday

Halcyon
10-04-2009, 11:17
I'm looking forward to this.... A little bit of 80's nostalgia is always good fun.

sir_drinks_alot
11-04-2009, 20:07
it's been moved to the 20th 21:00

lucy7
20-04-2009, 21:11
New one on now, lets hope its a good series.

Rough, old school cops, those were the days!

Chris
20-04-2009, 22:47
Now that was very good. Dirty, gritty and full of nostalgia.

Peter_
20-04-2009, 22:49
A fun romp through the Eighties.

Chris
20-04-2009, 22:51
Anyone want to offer a theory as to who the nurses were looking after on the hospital bed at the very beginning?

Stephen
20-04-2009, 23:28
Anyone want to offer a theory as to who the nurses were looking after on the hospital bed at the very beginning?
I think it could be someone we have seen before, Possibly from Life on Mars

Russ
20-04-2009, 23:28
Not sure about that but I did spot an error when she breath-tested Kevin - in 1982 they didn't have the elctronic hand-held devices, they used a plastic bag with colour-changing chemicals.

Peter_
21-04-2009, 06:22
Not sure about that but I did spot an error when she breath-tested Kevin - in 1982 they didn't have the elctronic hand-held devices, they used a plastic bag with colour-changing chemicals.
Yes I noticed but did not click at the time, they will get around it by saying its all in her mind.

sherer
21-04-2009, 09:33
enjoyed this right up to the end where they had to go on about Princess Diana. Why on earth do we have to drag her in this ?

Hugh
21-04-2009, 09:47
Perhaps it is because they are showing that someone else in her timeshift has also "come back" from the future (has foreknowledge of Diana's death).

Chris
21-04-2009, 10:17
enjoyed this right up to the end where they had to go on about Princess Diana. Why on earth do we have to drag her in this ?

Diana was permanently big news at the time Ashes to Ashes is set - in the summer of 1982 she had been married to Charles for about a year and William had just been/was about to be born (depending on precisely when the series is set).

sir_drinks_alot
21-04-2009, 11:59
I think it could be someone we have seen before, Possibly from Life on Mars

well they did say that a old face from LOM would be returning so maybe it has something to do with that ? could it be sam !

soup dragon
21-04-2009, 14:53

I don't know who it is but i reckon it is the other 'back in time' person - if you get my drift?:erm:

Stephen
21-04-2009, 15:00
well they did say that a old face from LOM would be returning so maybe it has something to do with that ? could it be sam !
However didn't they already say that Sam died a few years previously at the start of series one?

I think the Diana thing is trying to show that maybe everything isn't in her mind and that someone else is there from the future. I really recognised the guys voice but can't really work out who he is. Or maybe her mind is just playing tricks on her.

Pierre
22-04-2009, 10:58
However didn't they already say that Sam died a few years previously at the start of series one?

I think the Diana thing is trying to show that maybe everything isn't in her mind and that someone else is there from the future. I really recognised the guys voice but can't really work out who he is. Or maybe her mind is just playing tricks on her.

Sam died at the end of season 2.

After recovering he decided he liked it better in his imaginary world and jumped off the top of the building.

Either way, who ever the "other" person is.......he's still just a figment of her imagination so it doesn't matter if he's dead or alive in real life.

Stephen
22-04-2009, 12:30
Sam died at the end of season 2.

After recovering he decided he liked it better in his imaginary world and jumped off the top of the building.

Either way, who ever the "other" person is.......he's still just a figment of her imagination so it doesn't matter if he's dead or alive in real life.
You misread my post. I was talking about the first series of Ashes they mentioned Sam died the previous year. So the person couldn't be Sam at all.

Also the 'other' person might not be a figment of her imagination. Ithink maybe there will be a twist in the story and it won't be as straight forward as LOM ended up.

Derek
24-04-2009, 11:46
You misread my post. I was talking about the first series of Ashes they mentioned Sam died the previous year. So the person couldn't be Sam at all.

I don't have the series on DVD to check but did they not say Sam went into a canal during a car chase and was presumed dead?

Damien
24-04-2009, 12:45
Does it matter? It's her imagination (as far as we know) so he can come back...

Stephen
24-04-2009, 12:51
Does it matter? It's her imagination (as far as we know) so he can come back...
Thats the thing though, it might not be her imagination. Maybe whoever is in the bed has some how ended up in the same 80's dream?

Russ
11-05-2009, 22:15
Great episode tonight, looking forward to Operation Rose.

One question about tonight though, does anyone know who that solicitor was? He was dead familiar.

Halcyon
11-05-2009, 22:59
I agree, A definately great episode tonight. Good storyline and lot's of clues.

I liked it!

cimt
12-05-2009, 09:50
That woman, was she from LoM? I don't remember her at all. Unless she's from the episode where people are taken hostage at the newspaper?

Peter_
12-05-2009, 09:58
Great episode tonight, looking forward to Operation Rose.

One question about tonight though, does anyone know who that solicitor was? He was dead familiar.
The drink driving one where he asks what will it be and goes into a series of voices.

Click here http://motortorque.askaprice.com/videos/watch.asp?video=101

Russ
12-05-2009, 10:01
Yes! Thanks!

Maggy
25-05-2009, 22:08
Seemed a bit nimby namby tonight..rather a boring plot line.:erm:

sir_drinks_alot
26-05-2009, 17:56
I've got a feeling that thay will surprise us all and end the show at the end of this season

Russ
01-06-2009, 21:48
Noooooooooo!!! Chris!!!

Chris
02-06-2009, 08:26
What? :D

Angua
02-06-2009, 08:44
What? :D :rofl:

Russ
02-06-2009, 08:47
In case anyone has yet to watch it....

Of all the coppers to take backhanders I NEVER thought he'd be the one....

:(

Chris
02-06-2009, 09:03
Yes, but Gene Hunt knows the difference between a bent copper and an idiot who let himself get compromised - hence why he's not letting him resign.

I'll remove the spoiler tags in a day or two, there's no point leaving them in after people have had a chance to catch up.

sir_drinks_alot
02-06-2009, 09:23
That has to me the best plot twist thay have had on this show i'd never have guessed it was him i hope thay do what thay did with LOM and end It after 2 season's

Maggy
02-06-2009, 13:30
I have to say after lasts week's nimby namby show this week's was terrific...More of the same please.:D

cimt
08-06-2009, 11:24
http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/cult/a158793/ashes-to-ashes-to-end-after-next-series.html

It's been renewed for a third and final series.

Chris
08-06-2009, 12:34
Just enough time for the duty controller to slam in the tape with the 'she's not going home yet' ending on it then. :D They left the announcement a bit late this year - I wonder if they were a bit hesitant?

sir_drinks_alot
08-06-2009, 20:36
thay sould have left it one day more before the announcement just to keep us guessing

MovedGoalPosts
08-06-2009, 22:03
Excellent confusing ending. So what reality is she not in now :confused:

Halcyon
08-06-2009, 22:17
Excellent episode and a great series overall.
Cant wait for the final season.

sir_drinks_alot
08-06-2009, 22:34
Excellent confusing ending. So what reality is she not in now :confused:

i'm not sure maybe a coma coma ?

Chris
10-06-2009, 22:03
The show creators have said in the past how surprised they are at fans over-analyzing it. They actually try to keep the thing reasonably simple. I think it is the way it appears - she has arrived back in 2008 and the season cliffhanger is, will she or won't she do a Sam Tyler and go back into the other world to try to help Gene Hunt out of a pickle?

They have already seeded the possibility of being able to dip in and out of the other-world through the character of Summers, who had a lot more awareness of what was going on back in 2008 than Alex ever did.

Stephen
11-06-2009, 09:14
It may not be that simple though.

She was shot in 1982 and suddnely woke up in 2008, so she possibly fell in to a coma in 1982.

Also if in the real 2008 she probably wouldn't be seeing Gene Hunt on every TV monitor.

Maggy
11-06-2009, 09:44
I think we are over analysing it to bits..why not wait and see what unfolds? ;)