PDA

View Full Version : BT line fault

Hornet
22-01-2008, 21:45
I had a BT line installed to a new house six years ago. All worked fine until last week. Now it doesn't ring on incoming calls, so BT came out and said the wire from outside to my mastersocket is faulty, but luckily there are two other sets to use. IS THIS RIGHT THREE CHANCES?

So they connected up new set and now I have crackling on line instead, I am presuming this wire could be faulty too?

If I have engineer back and third pair of wires also faulty, will they charge me to reconnect or is it their responsibility to get wires to master socket?

House was new 6 years ago and engineer said builder has probably stapled wires all along inside of walls causing creases and bends that have taken 6 year to go faulty??

Thanks

fluke123
22-01-2008, 21:54
CF,Bt are responsible for all wiring upto and including the master socket.I am presuming that the socket not ringing is an extention socket which rquires a third wire from the master aditional to the first to to make the phone ring , if this is the case then they might bill u.(master has capacitor which makes the phone ring...Extentions don't).Don't know if this helps if not .Is it the master or Extention? and I will advise u form here as BT charge about £100 for a call out

Hornet
23-01-2008, 06:33
Thanks for help.

All they did on Saturday for non ringing phone at callers end, rings at my end, was changed wires outside and on master socket to a different pair that were already there.

This new pair seem to make a crackling sound whilst talking, but the weird thing is it is only every 3rd or 4th call.

So if they come back and say it is wiring from outside to master will that be free to replace?

Thanks again

Paul K
24-01-2008, 16:24
Anything up to the master is BTs responsibility and therefor free if repairs required. Past the master socket and it's your bill.

PS1
25-01-2008, 20:59
If the master is fed via a lot of internal cable(eg its at the other end of the house to the external cables entry point)then following new guidlines,there is everychance they will just install a new master socket where cable enters into property, thus making your existing internal wireing your responsibility as it s now after the master socket.they might then tell you they will renew it but at a charge.and more than likely not at that visit as exsessive internal wireing needs to be agreed with trc first.:td: