PDA

View Full Version : Sony PlayTV - PS3 Freeview PVR add-on

Tezcatlipoca
19-01-2008, 01:00
http://threespeech.com/blog/?p=828

Looks good.

Not sure if I'll bother with it (unless it's cheap), as I already have a PVR (SkyHD).

The PSP Remote Play feature looks good too... Use your PSP while out & about to remotely access the PS3 & watch live/recorded TV.

icestar2
19-01-2008, 10:57
I agree it does look good. Been looking forward to it but the price tag is not small. Play did have it on pre-order for £99 but they seemed to remove the price now but the links still there. http://www.play.com/Games/PlayStation3/4-/3595202/Play-TV/Product.html

Heres a simple videos breakdown of how it will work http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qAuWAgZeJoI

Matty121
20-04-2008, 20:57
Hello. i have a question that has remained unanswered in my head since the 1st March and i think it's time to get an answer. Firstly you may not need to know what play tv is to answer my question but it would help. does anyone know how much memory, say a 1 hour program, would take up on my PS3's harddrive? please be aware that it also records in hd. i need to know if i should buy a bigger harddrive...
thanks very much

icestar2
20-04-2008, 22:07
As far as I know nothing been announced about space usage yet but I will check around. There are many diffrent factors as to how much space will be used e.g. format, compression, program length etc etc.

What model do you have 40gb or 60gb ? do you find your HD space being used up alot now ? Do you plan on keeping certain programs for a long time ?

Tezcatlipoca
20-04-2008, 23:55
Hello. i have a question that has remained unanswered in my head since the 1st March and i think it's time to get an answer. Firstly you may not need to know what play tv is to answer my question but it would help. does anyone know how much memory, say a 1 hour program, would take up on my PS3's harddrive? please be aware that it also records in hd. i need to know if i should buy a bigger harddrive...
thanks very much

I wouldn't believe all the HD stuff about it... there is no HD Freeview & won't be for a while yet... don't think the DVB-T2 standard has even been finalised yet, so there's no way I can see that Play TV would work with the (eventual future) HD Freeview.

For a rough estimate of HDD usage for recordings, I guess it would be similar to e.g. Sky+, where an 80GB PVR3 can record roughly 40 hours of content... so 2GB per hour.

Matty121
21-04-2008, 07:41
ok thanks a lot you two! i have a 60gb version

Bluffdemon
21-04-2008, 16:28
i would like to get one if the price is right ! be a cool addition to my ps3 !

icestar2
21-04-2008, 17:04
i would like to get one if the price is right ! be a cool addition to my ps3 !

I read somewere and I think play.com had it at £99.99. It was announced to be between $129 and $200 and since we get ripped all the time I am guessing the £99.99 marks about right. Everywere seems to of pulled the price now though so cant say for sure. Guess we'll find out soon enough.

Tezcatlipoca
21-04-2008, 20:08
Amazon had it listed as recently as last week - with a price (£69.99) & a date (July something 2008).

Checked again today... price & date have been removed.

If it comes out for £99, I think it's too much, considering the price of standalone Freeview PVRs.

Also a pity the PS3 doesn't have any rear USB ports... having this thing permanently plugged into the front would be annoying.

icestar2
21-04-2008, 23:39
Amazon had it listed as recently as last week - with a price (£69.99) & a date (July something 2008).

Checked again today... price & date have been removed.

Think amazon is trying to fool us all m8 heres some more info of amazon guessing again.

Amazon.co.uk has caused some confusion today when it listed a release date and price for the Digital TV recording peripheral, PlayTV (http://www.ps3fanboy.com/tag/playtv). With a date of July 31st and a price of £59.99, it was looking like a good deal for UK PS3 owners. Until Sony refused to confirm both details and Amazon pulled all the information on their site, that is. Instead, the release date is now set for October and there's not a price in sight. Weird.

http://www.ps3fanboy.com/2008/04/21/playtv-priced-and-dated-but-not-really/

Matty121
22-04-2008, 16:21
yeah i saw that on amazon. 31st of July and £59.99. pretty good. i will still buy it at £99.99 if that's going to be the price but it would be so much better if it was £40 cheaper, ha ha. when they took the price and date off their site, the date said october 2008!! don't know if it's there now but that's a bit late..!!

STONEISLAND
15-08-2008, 15:14
• Record and view your favourite programmes at the same time - Play TV enables you to record both Standard Definition as well as High Definition
• Personal Video Recorder functionality - watch live TV, pause, fast forward and rewind
• Electronic Programme Guide (EPG) to show what's on, now and next - up to 7 days in advance in certain countries
• Mobile TV functionality - export content easily from PS3 HDD to PSP - watch TV on the go! Thanks to live streaming, you can watch your favourite show whilst abroad
• Channel surf with either your BD remote or your Sixaxis

Now is it me or is ' Mobile TV functionality - export content easily from PS3 HDD to PSP - watch TV on the go! Thanks to live streaming, you can watch your favourite show whilst abroad' miss leading as apparently you cannot transfer the files to the PSP?

icestar2
15-08-2008, 15:18
I think you may be looking at an old article because sony has said that although you will be able to remote play through the PSP you wont be able to tranfser anything.

Its a shame and I was looking forward to this but since our area has no digital signal yet then I would have to wait a year to make any use of it. I was looking forward to getting it to :(

STONEISLAND
15-08-2008, 15:26
I think you may be looking at an old article because sony has said that although you will be able to remote play through the PSP you wont be able to tranfser anything.

Its a shame and I was looking forward to this but since our area has no digital signal yet then I would have to wait a year to make any use of it. I was looking forward to getting it to :(

I got the info from Play.com so they need to update there site as its miss leading. I was going to buy but wont now.

Be wicked if you could do that.

icestar2
15-08-2008, 15:33
I got the info from Play.com so they need to update there site as its miss leading. I was going to buy but wont now.

Be wicked if you could do that.

Play are probably using the old specs then and do need to update it. My guess is this is what sony wanted to do it but simply cant get the rights to do it or are worries about more piracy issues.

Paranoimia
15-08-2008, 20:45
It's a shame you can't copy them over, but then again, with the ability to turn the PS3 on and off via Remote Play, the PS3 acts just like a Slingbox, allowing you to watch your recorded shows anywhere you can get an internet connection.

So for example... if you were on holiday in the US for 2 weeks, you wouldn't be able to copy your recordings to the PSP anyway. At least this way, you can still watch them in your hotel room in the evening, instead of having to watch the US channels, sitting around bored, or worse... having to talk to the mother-in-law!

http://www.playtvps3.com/en_GB/

Tezcatlipoca
16-08-2008, 16:02
Re. the copying:

Yep, it was originally announced that you'd be able to copy recorded content from the PS3, to view on PC, PSP, etc.

That feature has now been removed, although you can still use "Remote Play" to view on a PSP.

As for HD - As I said earlier in the original thread (now merged), it's not possible.

Freeview HD will use DVB-T2, while PlayTV is a DVB-T tuner.

http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=212585

STONEISLAND
22-08-2008, 09:37
Ok I may get this and cancel my V+ subscription as all I watch is the freeview channels. My only concern is leaving the PS3 on most of the time?

Your thoughts?

Graham M
22-08-2008, 09:40
Its probably better for it to be left on constantly than for it to be turned off as the constant warm/cool/warm/cool isn't really good for any electrical equipment, the only thing it might do is shorten the life of the moving parts.

STONEISLAND
22-08-2008, 10:42
Not sure about leaving it on constantly but I see your view.

They should have built in a sleep mode.

Stephen
22-08-2008, 11:24
Maybe there will be a system update that can add that as a feature....

RealDiamond
22-08-2008, 16:52
The PS3 has a sleep mode. just like VCRs its called "stand buy mode" thats why the DS3 and Sixaxis and BD remote and remote play can wake it up, when they want to.
The on/off button is at the back but you run the risk of those british made fuses sony use from going POP when you that to offen.

(My TV failed due to cheap fuses, so yes its very real fault, Replace the fuse, back to life )

icestar2
03-09-2008, 21:55
Well it looks like sony has decided to go back to the origonal plan and allow you to copy your Tv programs to PSP and any other MPEG-4 compatible device.

Well, with PlayTV in the hands of reviewers, it appears Sony has switched back to the original plan. You'll now be able to copy DRM-free versions of your recorded programs to your PSP, or any other compatible MPEG-4 device, at least according to CVG.

http://www.ps3fanboy.com/2008/09/03/playtv-goes-back-to-drm-free-psp-lovin-copying/

Tezcatlipoca
30-09-2008, 21:03
So...

Did anyone get one?

If so, what's it like?

I know the copying is back, which is a good thing.

Pity there's no RF pass-through though.

dilli-theclaw
09-01-2010, 18:17
So...

Did anyone get one?

If so, what's it like?

I know the copying is back, which is a good thing.

Pity there's no RF pass-through though.Bump (sorry;))

Does anyone have one of these?

Can I use it on a ps3 slim?

Can I copy recorded content off onto usb stick?

I am considering replacing my sky+ HD box when my contract expires.

Cheers all :)

Tezcatlipoca
09-01-2010, 18:26
I don't have one, but...

1) Yes, it will work on a PS3 Slim.

2) Yes, you copy stuff from the PlayTV Library to the XMB, and then from the XMB to a USB stick. AFAIK it uses the .m2ts container with MPEG-2.

It will never work with Freeview HD though, in case that's a problem for you. Also does not yet have any proper Freeview+ features such as Series Link yet AFAIK.

dilli-theclaw
09-01-2010, 18:31
Cheers for that :)

Not too fussed about the HD so that will be great.

dilli-theclaw
30-01-2011, 12:57
I have now cancelled sky and am switching to this.

It shoudl be delievered during the week so I hope it's good.

Hopefully it has series link now too.

I am also getting a 500gb hdd for my ps3 to put all the recordings on :)

Tezcatlipoca
30-01-2011, 13:22
It does have series link now, but AFAIK you have to pay extra for it via a premium software upgrade.

EDIT:

http://blog.eu.playstation.com/2010/08/20/playtv-is-set-to-get-even-better/

http://www.reghardware.com/2011/01/11/sony_playstation_play_tv/

RealDiamond
30-01-2011, 18:05
Series link is included in Playtv 2 which is why your paying for the upgrade.
Series link is provided buy the New Broadband EPG provider TVTV.
The UK is the only country to get the series link service via PlayTV.
Warning - - Any update you do has increased the chances of failure of PLAYTV. upgrading from PlayTV 1 software to PlayTV 2 for a lot of people needs deletion of previous content..
Like WinTv (PC) and EYETV (MAC) updates that include new features and not just bug fixes will cost money.
(Sony get charged buy TVTV to provide the EPG. So each user is paying a bit of that back with the upgrade costs)

dilli-theclaw
30-01-2011, 18:24
Cheers - Not worried about previous content as I plan to upgrade the HDD at the same time. £6.29 to upgrade the software though - MMMmmm

Mind you I think I'd still do it :)

Ravenheart
05-02-2011, 10:03
Just saw on HotUKDeals that Argos are selling these at £29.99

Source (http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/ps3-go-play-freeview-tv-tuner-recorder-29-99-argos/869023)

Tezcatlipoca
05-02-2011, 13:23
Not bad! :)

I wish Sony would bring one out with Freeview HD support.

RealDiamond
04-03-2011, 22:07
Not bad! :)

I wish Sony would bring one out with Freeview HD support.

Theres a new update for play tv 2.03

DVB-T2 is still not used in enough counties, CAMs are required as well in those that do Use it out side the UK. That means paying fees for decoding, for each system used.

Did BBC go a head with Freeview HD encryption being forced on the signal or not. which forces decoder box makers to pay the BBC for the keys so they can make a box for the UK market.