PDA

View Full Version : Freeview on Virgin Media

muhaimin786
11-01-2008, 21:33
Hi,

I'm new to this forum and I have a question about self installing a virgin media box.

i've just moved into a flat where they previously had cable installed. I have been able to get my brothers old SMT 2110c samsung box (he moved to sky) with card.

Would I be able to connect the box to the box on the wall and recieve freeview channels. I don't really want to sign up for cable channels as all I really need is just the freeview channels.

so far, I connected the box and it displayed LD20, then LD30 then LD40 - whilst saying " virgin media....please wait..."

the LCD then displays 2110 and a flashing green light with the screen on a black and white virgin media logo.

I have rebooted the box using left right up down and OK. I have also been able to get to the installation menu by up down and OK....

Is there any settings like frequency or something else that will allow me to use this box as a freeview box?

any help much appreciated.

Tezcatlipoca
11-01-2008, 21:54
It isn't your brother's old STB - it's still the property of Virgin Media.

You cannot use it.

If you want cable TV, then you'll have to subscribe to Virgin Media & have an officially supplied box fitted, with an officially supplied smartcard.

If you just want "Freeview" channels, then I suggest you buy a Freeview STB. I got a cheapo Matsui one in Currys for £15 recently - nothing fancy, but does the job.

As the question has been answered, & to prevent this thread sliding further into dodgy territory, I'm going to close it.