PDA

View Full Version : V+ Signal level with new cable

swapshop1
10-01-2008, 22:23
I have just bought an extension cable from maplins so that I can move the tv to a different corner of the room. Now I have an intermittant flashing connection light on the front of the box. All appears to be ok however my box never flashed before.

So what do I do? Call an engineer? won't I get billed because I changed the cable?

Signal levels are -5dB to -10db for AGC and 32dB for SNR in the technicall menu.

I tried looking for signal levels as I remember seeing a post about correct levels but cannot find it anymore

Thanks

Nedkelly
10-01-2008, 22:38
On the wall plate is is there 2 outputs ? :) If you could not get it working and you do need a tech there is a £30 call out fee:)

swapshop1
10-01-2008, 23:28
My installation is: 1 BB upstairs with an what looks like either an fm splitter of some kind? And 1 TV point with a single tap downstairs. The TV appears to work ok, while the flashing is about 10 minutes long for 4-5 times in the evening.

I have a 12dB filter at the back of the V+ box also.

The Ntl cable I have is about 1 metre long with a 5 metre maplin extension screwed into it.

So to get a single cable/correct dB filter I will have to pay £30?

colin-bennett
12-01-2008, 08:57
if you call it in as a fault then their is no charge. Any other call out is £75. If tech finds it is your extension then he may report this back.
However he may not and just treat it as a fault. depends on tech.

swapshop1
14-01-2008, 15:38
I phoned up and you're right its £75 for a longer cable. Kiss my ringo starfish! I'll live without on demand, I get a good enough signal to keep my epg upto date.

Without the filter the signal hardly ever locks. With the filter and the occaisional 'return path is off' then the signal shows -15 to -20dB for AGC and 0 for return path.

Would a different cable help, all in one piece instead of the extension join connector? Or do I need a new filter unit? Can I get these anywhere so that it costs less than 75 hard earned pounds?

---------- Post added at 15:38 ---------- Previous post was at 15:26 ----------

How about a 5 foot scart lead?

Jonnymeg
14-01-2008, 16:30
The signal for a decent service should be -8db. You can go to -12 but beyond that you can expect problems.
If the signal is fine without the join then it is obvious what the problem is.

The filter you have is probably and equaliser which drops the power on the analogue signal, some times it knocks a couple of db's of the digital signal too so it is probably best to leave it off. Without a meter it is hard to say what is truely best.

Try screwing the extension cable directly to the wall socket so there is no join and see what the results are.

swapshop1
15-01-2008, 16:45
Thats how my system was set up???? The old cable was 1 metre, and it was fine but I added a 5m extension which has a connector to allow the female to female connector be connected. The filter does affect the signal strength. Without it I guess its too strong and so dumps????? with it, it is too weak and cannot make it through the amps????

The cable from maplins must be a poor conductor of RF, since from my first post, the strength with the filter was within acceptable parameters. The maplin cable must be degrading the signal. It's a 75 Ohm.

swapshop1
16-01-2008, 19:17
Thinks its solved!! = the inner conductor of the coaxial extension cable is rather thin gauge copper. I noticed that one connector made the picture flicker when I waggelled it. I put a small kink in the conductor, a slight bend so that when it was inserted into the female socket and screwed up, that the conductor would press against the inside of the hole. If you follow. I guessed that it was not contacting properly.

I'm adding this so that others can search for a solution.