PDA

View Full Version : PSP Version of movies on Blu-ray

Tod
08-01-2008, 17:50
Sony are going to be releasing their blu-ray films with a PSP version of the film included on the disc, which you can download to your PSP to watch on the move.

Source: http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/gaming/a83679/psp-blu-ray-could-end-umd-format.html

icestar2
08-01-2008, 21:18
Sounds like a good idea. Sony seem to be making all the right moves as of late and I only hope it continues though 2008. Could also be an end to the HD format war hopefully to soon :)

Damien
08-01-2008, 21:35
It is pretty much over now. I think they are over-estimating the populaity of the PSP however at least for movies. I would not watch a full film on my PSP. I think it would be better if they included a larger, better quality, digital DRM-FREE, file. Thus allows those of us who store content digitally to avoid ripping and PSP users can easiler transfer it anyway

Tod
08-01-2008, 22:18
Don't you think that this might prove a lot more popular than buying UMD movies, which you can only play on a PSP? I think it might prove a lot more popular.

dilli-theclaw
08-01-2008, 22:25
It may well do, myself I only got one movie on umd - which was it was free (spiderman)

I just use psp video 9 to convert now.

It is a nice idea to have a video already done tho.

Damien
08-01-2008, 22:26
Don't you think that this might prove a lot more popular than buying UMD movies, which you can only play on a PSP? I think it might prove a lot more popular.

More popular and smarter since it allows people to buy a proper version and a portable version. UMD failed because it required people to buy almost the same as a DVD and you could only play it on PSP.

But it also failed because:

1) The PSP is not as popular as DVDs by a long long way
2) Even a lot of us who own a PSP do not watch a full length movie on it

I think that most people buying a Blu-Ray disc, in the future (current blu-ray tends will favor early adopters who are technology lovers and the PSP will be over-represented) will not want to play the movie on a PSP.

icestar2
09-01-2008, 00:59
I have to agree with Damien on this one. But its still a good idea for the people who own both the PS3 and PSP and buy blu-ray movies lol - Kind of rewarding there loyalty a bit.

Tod
09-01-2008, 09:15
I have to say, and maybe it's because I like gimmicks, but I would buy a Sony blu-ray over another if it gave me the additional feature of PSP version.
However, this is a good feature if you have children. Say you buy a film like Cars on blu-ray and it gave you a PSP version. It would be handy to put this version on the PSP for you kids to watch in the back of the car for those long journeys.

icestar2
09-01-2008, 09:46
I think you've hit the nail on the head there Tod. I used to use my PSP when I had it to watch movies on the long journey's. Like crosing the channel lol.

Damien
09-01-2008, 10:29
I still think it would be better if they provided a more commonly used, higher-res, video format to allow watching and storing on a computer

punky
09-01-2008, 11:08
I could never understand the point of UMD movies. Why would someone buy a film UMD for the same price as a DVD, that you can only watch on your PSP, when you can buy the DVD and convert it to PSP for free and watch on both.

I suppose it wil help sway some, like Tod says. I think its a bit unnecessary and overkill. The amount of people who own a PSP and Blu-ray player is a small subset, and people who'd actually use the UMD is smaller still. Plus its cumbersome keep lugging UMDs about so i'd still prefer to convert it to my memory stick. Offering as a DRM (locked to your PSP serial number). I can imagine ebay being flooded with these free UMDs, so maybe everyone does win.