PDA

View Full Version : Telephone Extension

don_1
05-01-2008, 23:54
Anyone know how to wire and do a telephone extension, from the main/master telephone socket? I wanted to have a telephone socket in my room.#

What items will i need and is it easy to do?

Are their any good websites (with pics) out their that can help me?

Thanx

Raistlin
05-01-2008, 23:58
It's pretty straight forward, so long as you're careful and take it slow. One of these sites should help:

http://www.wppltd.demon.co.uk/WPP/Wiring/UK_telephone/uk_telephone.html

http://www.adslnation.com/support/extensions.php

http://www.diydata.com/projects/telephone_socket/telephone_sockets.php

don_1
06-01-2008, 00:01
It's pretty straight forward, so long as you're careful and take it slow. One of these sites should help:

http://www.wppltd.demon.co.uk/WPP/Wiring/UK_telephone/uk_telephone.html

http://www.adslnation.com/support/extensions.php

http://www.diydata.com/projects/telephone_socket/telephone_sockets.php

Thanx again ;)

Raistlin
06-01-2008, 00:01
NP :)

don_1
06-01-2008, 00:35
NP :)

I have a few questions, before i start to doing this:-

What is the cable wire called, that i will require? Which is the best cable and can i buy it from Ebay (any1 got a link plz)?

How many wires should their be in the master socket, before i do the extension?

Do i leave the wires as they are (dont touch the wires already fitted it the Master Socket) and add the new wires/cable in the Master Socket, the same way as i will do on the slave sockets?

Do i have to off the electic from the mains, before I do this?

Cheerz

dragon
06-01-2008, 01:21
I have a few questions, before i start to doing this:-

What is the cable wire called, that i will require? Which is the best cable and can i buy it from Ebay (any1 got a link)?

look for telecom grade cable, try your local DIY store they probably sell it

How many wires should their be in the master socket, before i do the extension?

2 and A leg and B leg

Do i leave the wires as they are (dont touch the wires already fitted it the Master Socket) and add the new wires/cable in the Master Socket, the same way as i will do on the slave sockets?

Try and avoiding messing with the pair of wires in the master socket if you can.

Do u have to off the electic from the mains before I do this?

No the phone system is seapeate to the mains system, you might get a bit of a shock if the phone happens to be ringing and you touch the end of the wires but thats about it, if there is mains voltage on your line then something is seriously wrong!

Cheerz

Also if you have ADSL you only need to connect pins 2 and 5 as the microfilter has a capacitor in, the only reason pin 3 is connected was to provide ringing as theres not usually one in an extension socket, however that said Modern phones will sometimes ring without one being connected anyway (due to them having an electronic ringer)

don_1
06-01-2008, 01:32
Also if you have ADSL you only need to connect pins 2 and 5 as the microfilter has a capacitor in, the only reason pin 3 is connected was to provide ringing as theres not usually one in an extension socket, however that said Modern phones will sometimes ring without one being connected anyway (due to them having an electronic ringer)

Is the telephone cable not called CAT5e or CAT 6 (better quality) telephone cable?

Thanx m8

dragon
06-01-2008, 01:43
Is the telephone cable not called CAT5e or CAT 6 (better quality) telephone cable?

Thanx m8

CAT5e / CAT6 is actually network cable (for computer networks)
Although I think you could use it to wire your extension up, I'm sure I've heard of people doing it to improve their Broadband speeds (it has better shielding that standard telephone cable)

don_1
06-01-2008, 01:45
CAT5e / CAT6 is actually network cable (for computer networks)
Although I think you could use it to wire your extension up, I'm sure I've heard of people doing it to improve their Broadband speeds (it has better shielding that standard telephone cable)

Ok cheerz m8.

don_1
06-01-2008, 15:23
2 and A leg and B leg

In the master socket, i only have one BLACK wire. What do u mean by '2 and A leg and B leg?'

dragon
06-01-2008, 16:36
In the master socket, i only have one BLACK wire. What do u mean by '2 and A leg and B leg?'

If you looked at the back of the socket you'd see actually its 2 wires i suspect you are confusing the external casing (protects the wires inside) with the actual wire, it wouldn't work with just 1 wire ;)

don_1
06-01-2008, 16:44
If you looked at the back of the socket you'd see actually its 2 wires i suspect you are confusing the external casing (protects the wires inside) with the actual wire, it wouldn't work with just 1 wire ;)

lol ok m8, ill have a look again... :)

don_1
06-01-2008, 21:04

Ok just had a look in the master socket, there are 4 wires from the extension cable, BLACK, BLUE, WHITE and RED. Where do these wires go in the master socket?

dragon
06-01-2008, 22:57
One of the sites linked earlier should show you what the colour code should be...
Ideally you want to follow this as it makes it easier to work on it later (perticalarrly if someone else works on the socket/extension) but you can get away with ignoring it there's nothing special about any of the particular coloured cables so providing you connect both ends the same it would still work.

Its only pins 2 and 5 you actually need to connect and maybe 3 (if the phone on the extension don't ring then connect 3)

you will see them labeled on the back of the sockets

don_1
06-01-2008, 23:12
One of the sites linked earlier should show you what the colour code should be...
Ideally you want to follow this as it makes it easier to work on it later (perticalarrly if someone else works on the socket/extension) but you can get away with ignoring it there's nothing special about any of the particular coloured cables so providing you connect both ends the same it would still work.

Its only pins 2 and 5 you actually need to connect and maybe 3 (if the phone on the extension don't ring then connect 3)

you will see them labeled on the back of the sockets

Yea, just done the extension.

Big thanx to 'Dragon' and 'Raistlin'. :)

Cheerz

dragon
06-01-2008, 23:24
try calling

then press option 1, your phone should ring...
If the extension rings ok then its all working ;)

don_1
06-01-2008, 23:28
try calling

then press option 1, your phone should ring...
If the extension rings ok then its all working ;)

Just tested it, works fine. Is that test number free lol

;)

dragon
06-01-2008, 23:37
Just tested it, works fine. Is that test number free lol

;)

yes its the engineers line test facilty

don_1
06-01-2008, 23:40
:tu::tu::tu:

;)