PDA

View Full Version : Temp fix = dodgy picture, chirpy sound?

danny2324
01-01-2008, 22:16
I had NTL for 2-3 years and then cancelled it to go to Sky, in which time next door got NTL installed and there was no cable pulled and just linked up over the fence to the box on the side of my house. I have now gone back to Virgin Media for TV and Broadband. Inside I have no isolator just a 2 way splitter, one for the set top box and one for the cable modem.

The internet seems to work fine, but the picture on the TV has some squares every few seconds, and there is a chirp in the sound.

When I remove the splitter outside and put in a coupler, the images are a lot better, with the coloured squares and chirps happening every few minutes. I have also tried disconnecting both splitters and connecting the set top box directly to the incoming feed, with no joy.

Does anybody have any ideas for possible fixes?

sollp
01-01-2008, 22:29
I had NTL for 2-3 years and then cancelled it to go to Sky, in which time next door got NTL installed and there was no cable pulled and just linked up over the fence to the box on the side of my house. I have now gone back to Virgin Media for TV and Broadband. Inside I have no isolator just a 2 way splitter, one for the set top box and one for the cable modem.

The internet seems to work fine, but the picture on the TV has some squares every few seconds, and there is a chirp in the sound.

When I remove the splitter outside and put in a coupler, the images are a lot better, with the coloured squares and chirps happening every few minutes. I have also tried disconnecting both splitters and connecting the set top box directly to the incoming feed, with no joy.

Does anybody have any ideas for possible fixes?

Does your neighbour still have the service next door?

Again poor installations like the thread about the shocking installation, this again is the reason why new cable should be re-pulled and not hooked onto the neighbours service.

You could have a dogy STB,the external cable could be damaged, same as the internal, the connectors could also be damaged or poorly made. The reinstall could have been done incorrectly with the wrong levels ect.

You need to get VM out to investigate the problem.

danny2324
01-01-2008, 22:35
Yeah the neighbour still uses their broadband. My broadband works fine there.

I should of mentioned I took the STB to my mothers house and it worked fine there, where she has an isolator.

hairy_mick
02-01-2008, 06:21
you need an iso fitted sounds like level issue of some sort virgin should sort it.