PDA

View Full Version : is it possible to access the cable box

saggyman
30-12-2007, 00:21
HI
apologies for posting not sure if this is exactly the correct forum?
anyway while trying to move the VM cables from one room to another I unfortunately cut through the phone line and as mentioned in other threads VM would kindly charge me £75 :shocked: for renewing the line?
I have tried to access the box to renew the cable myself but I can't find the correct tool for opening the box, I am assuming it has security screws from what i can see. So my question is does anybody know where i can get the correct tool to get passed the security screws?
Unfortunately Maplin weren't able to help.
Any helpful advice would be appreciated.

v0id
30-12-2007, 01:58
Pay the call out fee, and get it done by VM.
Or you could do it yourself and face a £75 charge anyway and a grumbling tech if anything goes wrong in the future

saggyman
30-12-2007, 20:10
thx I'll take option 2
and if you know where i could get the right tool for removing the cover that would be even better?
thx again

sollp
30-12-2007, 20:15
thx I'll take option 2
and if you know where i could get the right tool for removing the cover that would be even better?
thx again

Have come across those screws before, would like the correct tool myself and i work for VM. Luckily on the few occasions i haven't needed to take the isolator cover off nor should you.

SMG
30-12-2007, 20:57
Are you talking about the little box fitted to the house wall, or the main Virgin box at the end of the street? Why cant you simply re connet the cable using wire connectors, or re solder them together?

saggyman
30-12-2007, 21:06
OK do tell
how do i open the cover without removing the screws
cause brute force is going to pull the whole box off the wall?

SMG
30-12-2007, 21:12
OK do tell
how do i open the cover without removing the screws
cause brute force is going to pull the whole box off the wall?

HELLO??

Are you talking about the little box fitted to the house wall, or the main Virgin box at the end of the street? Why cant you simply re connect the cable using wire connectors, or solder them together?

mark_hamilton
30-12-2007, 21:13
something tells me he isnt on about the box in the street...unless he wants to run a new cable from there down his road into his house....inconspicualously........

SMG
30-12-2007, 21:24
I agree, but I honestly cant see the problem. A soldering iron would do the trick, simple & easy.

sc00bie
05-01-2008, 20:38
Try Maplin electronics or a local tools store. You can buy security 'bits' for changeable bit screw drivers.

If you know where the break in the phone cable is then a simple repair with a soldering iron and some insulating tape should do the trick, obviously match the wire colours when doing so.

If your accessing a telephone type socket then you may need a punch down tool to insert the new cable wires. Make sure you take note of the terminal number and wire colour used for each.

If your are not comfortable with this then option 1 and have it done by the
appropriate people.
Scoobie

RedDragon
05-01-2008, 22:34
The master socket, extension socket and junction box's all use normal screws, the only box to use a security screw is the old isolator cover which has a single security screw in the middle. If the box's are old and have been painted over the screws may need to be cleaned off.Maplins sell the necessary bits to do a repair without the use of solder and if you think VM's charge is excessive BT charge (£216.21 inc VAT), for each minimum visit period, which is an hour.

TechFreak
05-06-2008, 10:32
The Screws used on the Telewest / Virgin Wall Boxes usually fitted on the inside of your house are called 'System Zero'.

Here is the data sheet for them :

http://docs-europe.electrocomponents.com/webdocs/0b45/0900766b80b458f2.pdf ;)

RS Components sell the Screws and the Screwedrivers for them ! ;)