PDA

View Full Version : Installation woes!

trekka07
28-12-2007, 11:43
Morning all,

I'm relocating to Portsmouth (Southsea to be exact) and I've signed upto the 3 for £30 offer online (includes the line rental) and thought I was all ready to go with an installation date of 3rd Jan. So I received an email the other day telling me they need more information and I need to phone them up, OK I thought as it's probably just to verify things. I phoned them up and the chap on the other end of the phone said someone would phone me back by Thursday (yesterday). Alas, nobody phoned and so I phoned them back today.

Apparently my address cannot be found on their system and it's going to delay things. Huh? I said. It had my new address on the online sign-up form so how can they not have it now? "It's all to do with the NTL and Telewest migration Sir" I was told and that it will take another 10 days for them to verify my address actually exists and maybe another 10 days for them to come and do the installation. I was also told that if I don't get a phonecall within the next 10 days that it means I can't have cable installed. Strange one that as the flat itself already has an NTL line/box so effectively all I need is for it to be turned on!

I'm actually about to start a very important new job and as you can imagine I will need internet as a matter of urgency so I can swot up on things. I don't actually know the area I'm relocating down to well at the moment and the thought of finding/lurking in internet cafes for the first week in January doesn't fill me with joy :(

Anyone got any advice on how to possibly speed things up? The NTL cable hard line is present in my property so it shouldn't be anything too taxing. I'm sorry to say but if it's not sorted sooner rather than later, I will simply have to look elsewhere which is a shame. Any help is appreciated. Many thanks.

TheNorm
28-12-2007, 12:54
Have a solid plan B - saves a lot of heartache:

Kokopelli Internet Cafe, 023 92 875000, 99 ELM GROVE, Southsea PO5 1LH

trekka07
28-12-2007, 13:12
Cheers TheNorm, it seems as though I'll be spending a lot of money in this place!

Really disappointed in VM though, all of a sudden the dark lights of Sky for roughly the same price seems a lot more attractive:shocked:

BenMcr
28-12-2007, 14:10
The problem has been is the older ntl systems, you could over-ride addresses and have multiple accounts at the same place.

So if there was a 5 Smith Street on the billing system but there was actually Flat 1,2,3 there, you have all 3 people at number 5.

The new billing system will only allow a single account active at any property. so if we only have number 5 but there are Flats 1,2,3 then an investigation needs to take place to double check serviceability

So you do get the situation of a property having cables but not officially existing anymore

trekka07
28-12-2007, 17:52
The problem has been is the older ntl systems, you could over-ride addresses and have multiple accounts at the same place.

So if there was a 5 Smith Street on the billing system but there was actually Flat 1,2,3 there, you have all 3 people at number 5.

The new billing system will only allow a single account active at any property. so if we only have number 5 but there are Flats 1,2,3 then an investigation needs to take place to double check serviceability

So you do get the situation of a property having cables but not officially existing anymore

Thanks for the clarification. I suppose I had better just "ride it out" for these 10 days to see if I do actually get a phonecall.

TenderLoin
04-01-2008, 16:15
I've been waiting for over 7 weeks and I'm still waiting VM to update thier database and give me my services. Be warned!