PDA

View Full Version : DVD REcorder connection with virgin cable

patmills
21-12-2007, 19:54
CAn anyone help me? Trying to connect cable from Virgin, Atlanta 4200 with Phillips HDRW 720 recorder (non digital), video and non digital Phillips TV (two scart sockets). Is it possible to use the recorder to pick up the cable channels to watch and record? All help gratefully received in order to bring peace to the house due to my apparant inability to set them up in time for Xmas

MovedGoalPosts
21-12-2007, 20:01
:welcome: to Cable Forum :tu:

The cable set top box can only decode and output a single channel at a time. You need a Set Top Box to decode the cable TV signal. You can't decode with a DVD or other recorder, that has to accept the single feed output by the cable Set Top Box.

Ultimately you have too many devices to successfully connect everything by scart lead unless you wish to use a scart multi splitter unit. I'd be tempted to try the video player connection using RF (coaxial) lead connection only since this has the poorest quality, and then use scart for everything else.

patmills
22-12-2007, 10:37
Would it be better to buy a digital tv or a hd dvd recorder with built-in freeview as I do not really use an of the cable channels that are not available on freeview?