PDA

View Full Version : Corporate/company hospitality at Christmas..?

Vlad_Dracul
21-12-2007, 10:25
I have started this thread as a bolt on to the "are you working over Christmas" thread.

I am surprised that the annual tabloid assualt on "big city bonus's" and corporate greed and excess in the square mile hasnt broken yet?

My view is that i dont expect anything from my company at Christmas. This fits well as they don't do anything anyway,at least not for my ranks. I just accept that i get paid for what i do and maybe store up some resentment for a later date!

So then,what corporate Xmas treats do you enjoy from your employer? A guide as to the size/scale of your employer might be useful for comparison i.e Global behemoth, UK Blue chip,small company, also a guide as to industry sector eg finance,retail,skilled trades etc etc

i'll start..skilled trades, Global behemoth, corporate hospitality? Jack **** for me

Mr_love_monkey
21-12-2007, 10:34
I have started this thread as a bolt on to the "are you working over Christmas" thread.

I am surprised that the annual tabloid assualt on "big city bonus's" and corporate greed and excess in the square mile hasnt broken yet?

I dont think bonuses were that big all round this year, due to the sub prime fiasco hitting a lot of banks.

There's only one bank that I know of that didn't really get hit by sub prime, and they shared out around $15 billion in bonuses.

i'll start..skilled trades, Global behemoth, corporate hospitality? Jack **** for me

I'm self employed so I don't get anything from where I am currently working.
However there were lots of happy people last week when the bonuses went out - as it's the bank above.

WHISTLED
21-12-2007, 11:09
I got a Rolex watch by way of a bonus this year, Mont Blanc fountain last year

Vlad_Dracul
21-12-2007, 11:13
I got a Rolex watch by way of a bonus this year, Mont Blanc fountain last year
Are you a plumber?

Raistlin
21-12-2007, 11:22
I got bugger all this year, and I'm expecting bugger all next year.....

Mr_love_monkey
21-12-2007, 11:23
I got bugger all this year, and I'm expecting bugger all next year.....

You got to bugger everyone? where _do_ you work?

Raistlin
21-12-2007, 11:24
You got to bugger everyone? where _do_ you work?

You wouldn't believe me if I told you ;)

Stuart
21-12-2007, 11:32
No bonuses, but our management always ensures we have a good Christmas do. We usually have several: The foundation that owns our campus organises one for all the institutions on site, which we buy tickets for if we wish to go. Then the School has one (our uni has several schools that are essentially seperate entities with only a couple of departments linking them), which the school pays 50% of the cost (our tickets cover the remainder of the cost, and we also pay for extra booze).

Then, our department head organsises a small gathering of our department (usually for a meal or something) and we pay for that.

I know it seems a bit excessive, but most of our department does jobs that can be suprisingly stressful, we nearly all have degrees (some BScs, so BAs, some MScs and some MAs), and we don't get great wages, so for a lot of us, the cameraderie generated by an extensive social calendar actually keeps us in the job.

PeteTheMusicGuy
21-12-2007, 11:51
No bonus for me and I work for a large Multinational ;)

Hugh
21-12-2007, 14:49
Self employed, currently working as an Interim IT Director for a Northern University - no bonus (but I consider my rate a daily bonus, so that doesn't worry me ;) ), but one of the Deans gave me a nice bottle of wine, and another gave me a book (How to fossilise your hamster).

I bought each of my direct reports (six, plus my PA) a nice bottle of wine, some Thorntons choccies, and took them to lunch (and no, I'm not claiming it back on expenses).

Uncle Peter
21-12-2007, 15:35
We got Christmas lunch paid for this year but our end of year bonuses get paid sometime in March! Should be enough for a nice holiday hopefully as they are usually quite generous.

superbiatch
21-12-2007, 16:57
I get nowt from the NHS :dozey:

Scarlett
21-12-2007, 16:59
Another self employed person here so no bonus for me but I do have a number of sales people who seriously owe me some favours as I'm ensuring that various late orders get processed before the end of the year.

My own ltd company will be doing a meal at some point over christmas though for the director and the company secretary (Me and the missus).

As the company is so generous, the director (muggins) will be paying for it all out of his own pocket :D

Can't say fairer than that can you:p:

lostandconfused
22-12-2007, 17:11
well this year, i'm not getting anything, and they cancelled the christmas party due to lack of funds.

I'm not really that bothered, they pay me per hour to do a job and i do it. I dont expect anything more at any time of the year. But it would have been better had they not set up a big internal vote, to select the venue for the christmas party and then said oh, hold on it turns out theres no cash.

And thats a fairly large company - manpower.

Vlad_Dracul
22-12-2007, 18:58
Self employed, currently working as an Interim IT Director for a Northern University - no bonus (but I consider my rate a daily bonus, so that doesn't worry me ;) ), but one of the Deans gave me a nice bottle of wine, and another gave me a book (How to fossilise your hamster).

I bought each of my direct reports (six, plus my PA) a nice bottle of wine, some Thorntons choccies, and took them to lunch (and no, I'm not claiming it back on expenses).

You sound nice. Can i come and work for you please?

---------- Post added at 18:58 ---------- Previous post was at 18:57 ----------

I get nowt from the NHS :dozey:

Its a vocation don;t you know...?

SMHarman
22-12-2007, 20:18
You not see the news?
http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601103&sid=aUHCJ33.KB.Q&refer=us
and well that is the end of the good news...
Morgan Stanley
http://www.thebusiness.co.uk/news-and-analysis/411306/morgan-stanley-secures-and365bn-from-china.thtml
Merrill Lynch
http://news.independent.co.uk/business/news/article3093848.ece
UBS (not just the Americans)
http://www.ubs.com/1/e/media_overview/media_global/latest.html?newsId=133686
and to sum up
http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601087&sid=aKx.Gintu5so&refer=home
So the big city bonus' are not going to be so big this year.