PDA

View Full Version : Taking my modem to new cabled enabled address

bigsanta
21-12-2007, 01:58
Hi,because i'm already a bb cable customer,have been out of my 12 month contract for eight or more months,and soon i will be moving to another cable enabled address, which is two minutes away from where i now live.

So i checked the moving home page,which tells me that i can just take the modem with me,but the page mentions that an engineer will install them,which i don't need them to ,and i certainly don't want to pay for something that i can do myself,considering that i read somewhere that if all equipment is already at the property,then virgin can send you whatever else you need through the post,cutting out the need for an engineer to call.

Another thing the moving home page doesn't mention ,is whether i have to sign up for a new twelve month contract,if i do,then i don't want to be stuck with what i'm paying at the moment,which is £18 for 2 mbit,would i be able to tell them i want the offer that's available at the moment £15.50,broadband with the phone line ,if i have to have a new 12 month contract,as i'd be stupid not to .

Fraser

MovedGoalPosts
21-12-2007, 02:39
:welcome: to Cable Forum :tu:

If you are out of contract the simple thing would be to tell VM you are ending the agreement at your current house on whatever date (30 days notice).

Whatever happens by moving to a new property, they will treat it as a new connection, and thus you start a 12 month period. On that basis to get new customer offers, it might be simplest to start without ties from your old property.

Self install kits are available, but you'll want to be certain that the property is in fact fully cabled with all services live and no hidden faults. That can only be done by an engineer installation, so you have to accept there is a risk by going the self install route.

Your current modem won't work at the new property, unless VM associate it with your new address and account. That can be a hassle to organise, so it's often easier just to go with a new modem.

bigsanta
21-12-2007, 02:47
http://allyours.virginmedia.com/html/existingcustomers/moving/moving_home_your_details.html

http://allyours.virginmedia.com/html/existingcustomers/moving/movingfaq.html

Seems simple enough rob,and the other thing is, i would really like to keep my old virgin media email addresses.

fraser

One thing i forgot,i'll need the access point moved to the upstairs room,which means i WILL need a call out !

---------- Post added at 01:47 ---------- Previous post was at 01:46 ----------

BenMcr
21-12-2007, 03:43
Moving house, even if it done by a install engineer, is free.

Recently they have been offering the quickstart option for house moves but unless everything is where it needs to be it isn't worth it

Best thing to do is have a work with House Moves. They are generally resonable people and happy to see what they can in relation to giving an up to date offer when you move

As long as you are moving within the ex-company you can keep your e-mail. At the moment if you move from an ex-ntl to an ex-telewest area or vice versa you can't keep your e-mail

lostandconfused
21-12-2007, 10:55
As long as you are moving within the ex-company you can keep your e-mail. At the moment if you move from an ex-ntl to an ex-telewest area or vice versa you can't keep your e-mail

if the email adress is that important they can move it onto a pay as you use dial up account to keep it active, but it doesnt happen often

bigsanta
21-12-2007, 16:38
Alright then,i'll do that,and both areas are all under the wallsend UBR,so they will have all been under telewest.

And in two weeks my family will be in a new ,lovely ,peaceful ,neighbours from hell free house & area,what a way to start the new year.

Thanks for the help and good bye:D

fraser

BenMcr
21-12-2007, 17:36
if the email adress is that important they can move it onto a pay as you use dial up account to keep it active, but it doesnt happen often

Even that is done, it may get deleted as part of the computer migration next year