PDA

View Full Version : new installation/no ready light

angela32
20-12-2007, 22:19
Hi,
First post so Hi everyone ;)

We recieved a self install modem pack today but its refusing to play nicely :mad: The ready light is just flashing on and off and I cant even get onto any settings pages or anything :( I have phoned the quick installation team who didnt seem to have a clue what to suggest and put me though to the tech support line. Tech support are sending an engineer out but it wont be until the 27th dec :(

I was wondering how likely it is that the engineer will say that the signal is not strong enough? We have virgin XL tv and we had a right runaround getting that installed aswell in May. The first guy who came out said there was no signal but when the field engineer came out, he found it straight away :confused: Is there any way of finding out what the signal is like without being able to get into that root page thing?

The other thing is, inside the bag with the installation guides there was a little connection thing but no instuctions on where to put it.. any ideas anyone?

The modem is the VM255 and we are in an x ntl area if that helps.

Angela

homealone
20-12-2007, 23:29
hi :welcome:

do you have any more info on the 'connection thing'?

- was the self install pack sent to replace an existing modem or to upgrade from an existing set top box internet connection?

Jonnymeg
21-12-2007, 16:40
Do you have TV with virgin?

Mr_love_monkey
21-12-2007, 16:44
We have virgin XL tv

angela32
21-12-2007, 16:50
Do you have TV with virgin?

Yes, we have the XL tv package

I have been on the phone to them again all day :( The problem seems to be that no one in the tech department seems to know what to do with the 255 Modem :( One guy on the quickstart number (about the 5th I had spoken to) told me that the ready light will not stay on until I have gone through the process to activate BB. He told me that I had to just plug in the ethernet cable, no power and no green tipped coax then i would be able to get to activation but it still doesnt work. The people on the tech support line say that 'sounds odd' so its all very confusing. I guess I will just have to wait for th engineer but I am going to feel a right lemon if I just dont have it plugged in correctly :dunce:

Has anyone activated one of the new modems before?

Angela

ps the 'connection thingie turns out to be a 'cap' what am I supposed to do with that?

Jonnymeg
21-12-2007, 18:06
Ok,

If you have TV then you have a signal coming into the house.
Are you installing the modem in the same position as the TV?

Make sure you have the cables connected to the right ports on the splitter. You will have received the splitter in the pack, it is a metal thing about the size on a matchbox with two screw on ports on one side and a single one on the other.
The cable from the wall runs into the single port and the TV and Modem connect to the two next to each other.

angela32
21-12-2007, 19:02
Ok,

If you have TV then you have a signal coming into the house.
Are you installing the modem in the same position as the TV?

Make sure you have the cables connected to the right ports on the splitter. You will have received the splitter in the pack, it is a metal thing about the size on a matchbox with two screw on ports on one side and a single one on the other.
The cable from the wall runs into the single port and the TV and Modem connect to the two next to each other.

:dunce: Oh I am so embarrassed!! In my head I had the cables plugged in correctly but in reality I didnt :( I feel like such a lemon but I had plugged the main cable straight into the TV part of the splitter :dunce:

We are all up and running now, well apart from setting up the router... I have never used a cable router before so I hope its quite straightforward!

Speed isnt quite the 20 meg we were promised but 5 meg is 3 meg more than we can get on our cruddy phoneline :D I know this is a really busy time of day for the net anyway so maybe later it will be better!

Thanks so much for giving me the kick I needed to check the cabling rather than me keep assuming I had it all set up correctly!! I cant believe I have spoken to at least 10 tech people from virgin since yesterday and not one asked me to check i had the cables in correctly! I would have died of shame if the engineer had come out and found I had set it up wrong ;)

Angela

Jonnymeg
21-12-2007, 20:41
:dunce: Oh I am so embarrassed!! In my head I had the cables plugged in correctly but in reality I didnt :( I feel like such a lemon but I had plugged the main cable straight into the TV part of the splitter :dunce:

We are all up and running now, well apart from setting up the router... I have never used a cable router before so I hope its quite straightforward!

Speed isnt quite the 20 meg we were promised but 5 meg is 3 meg more than we can get on our cruddy phoneline :D I know this is a really busy time of day for the net anyway so maybe later it will be better!

Thanks so much for giving me the kick I needed to check the cabling rather than me keep assuming I had it all set up correctly!! I cant believe I have spoken to at least 10 tech people from virgin since yesterday and not one asked me to check i had the cables in correctly! I would have died of shame if the engineer had come out and found I had set it up wrong ;)

Angela

Glad to hear you have it all sorted. It is normally something silly that catches us out.