PDA

View Full Version : Buying online from abroad?

ginge51
11-12-2007, 18:25
Hi all :)

I'm going to try and buy something from zipzoomfly.com
I've never bought anything from abroad before, Seeing how I'm from the uk and i think that store is from the U.S.A i can buy a product for 176.87 gbp from this site and over here in the uk It's like 220 gbp.
Will i have to pay anything extra like tax when the item I'm after is shipped to the uk?
Or will it just be shipping?

Web-Junkie
11-12-2007, 18:30
You'll probably have to pay VAT (or import duty or whatever customs try to rip you off with these days) as well as shipping, so it may cost more!

MovedGoalPosts
11-12-2007, 18:31
Thread moved. What did this have to do with Virgin Media :confused:

ginge51
11-12-2007, 18:36
You'll probably have to pay VAT (or import duty or whatever customs try to rip you off with these days) as well as shipping, so it may cost more!
Thanks for the answer m8.
What a seriously ripoff country we live in.
Pathetic.

Alien
11-12-2007, 18:57
I'm going to try and buy something from zipzoomfly.com
I've never bought anything from abroad before, Seeing how I'm from the uk and i think that store is from the U.S.A i can buy a product for 176.87 gbp from this site and over here in the uk It's like 220 gbp.
Will i have to pay anything extra like tax when the item I'm after is shipped to the uk?
Or will it just be shipping?
It depends. I've had a few things shipped from the US & not been asked to pay VAT on delivery, but you need to be aware that it can happen. It seems to be somewhat random, but you should factor in the possibility of VAT when working out potential savings.

For example, a purchase that I'm considering:
UK price: £364.90
converted US price: £296
converted US price if I have to pay VAT : £347.80

Depending on the delivery charges for both stores, it might be worth it, but if the US store has expensive shipping, & the UK 1 doesn't, then it might not be worth it.

Unfortunately another US site, Newegg, doesn't ship to the UK, or I'd be able to get what I want for only £246 [£289.05 with VAT] + shipping. :(

ginge51
11-12-2007, 19:22
It depends. I've had a few things shipped from the US & not been asked to pay VAT on delivery, but you need to be aware that it can happen. It seems to be somewhat random, but you should factor in the possibility of VAT when working out potential savings.

For example, a purchase that I'm considering:
UK price: £364.90
converted US price: £296
converted US price if I have to pay VAT : £347.80

Depending on the delivery charges for both stores, it might be worth it, but if the US store has expensive shipping, & the UK 1 doesn't, then it might not be worth it.

Unfortunately another US site, Newegg, doesn't ship to the UK, or I'd be able to get what I want for only £246 [£289.05 with VAT] + shipping. :(
Aarghhh thanks mate that's cleared it up for me.
I've always wondered why newegg doesn't ship to the uk.
Whats the next best/cheapest thing to the us in terms of value and shipping to the uk?
Any ideas please?
The only u.s site I'm looking at at the moment is zipzoomfly.com
But I'm not sure if they ship to the uk?

Alien
13-12-2007, 00:17
I've always wondered why newegg doesn't ship to the uk.
Yeah, it's a pain, as they do some good prices.

Whats the next best/cheapest thing to the us in terms of value and shipping to the uk?
Any ideas please?
I don't know about next cheapest in general, as prices of various items vary from site to site, all I know is that eWiz (http://www.ewiz.com/) were the next cheapest for what I was looking at, & apparently they do ship to the UK.

The only u.s site I'm looking at at the moment is zipzoomfly.com
But I'm not sure if they ship to the uk?
No, they don't.

j52c
13-12-2007, 08:12

You will have to pay a processing charge by the carrier, this works out at around 12-15 pounds if your item is selected for VAT, Royal Mail do charge a fee.

I have just had an item come from Texas, value on customs label was £200, it was delivered by UPS and here are the charges I had to pay.

Import Vat - 42.83
Brokerage Surcharges - 11.00
Total - 53.83

The only good thing about this is that the item that was sent was a gift, plus the people that sent it have given me the money back it cost me.

Would have been an expensive item if I had bought it from there.