PDA

View Full Version : Installation questions - Dell Ethernet connection.

kaz74
11-12-2007, 17:38
Can anyone help pls. I sign up to virgin media broadband with ethernet card modern. The ethernet card on my dell pc doesn't work. I used usb modern in the past but virgin dont supply usb modern anymore.
I got a USB- Ethernet converter and it still doesn't work. Try to install a new NIC card but dell motherboard is different from standard board.
can anyone help pls or is their any one with an old USB virgin modern which they aren't using amymore?

MovedGoalPosts
11-12-2007, 17:47
:welcome: to Cable Forum :tu:

I've moved your post to it's own thread as you'll have your own specific issues to discuss.

Can you confirm the model of your Dell computer. I can't beleive that even if your inbuilt ethernet card is broken that there is no means of expansion to add a replacement card, unless that is you have used the slots for other cards.

You won't be able to use somebody elses old modem. The only modems you can use are the one supplied directly to you by Virgin Media.

danpad
11-12-2007, 19:13
stupid question, you have checked your on board LAN is not disabled, you can also check this in the BIOS on boot

kaz74
11-12-2007, 19:19
Dell Is An Optiplex Gx280, I Tried Downloading The Driver For The Card From Dell Dell Site Ages Ago, No Joy Either.

MovedGoalPosts
11-12-2007, 19:46
Unless you have used them all there should be slots in that Dell case to insert a supplementary network expansion card.

The question however is why your current network port won't work. Are you absolutely convinced it is faulty. Have you tried uninstalling the driver / card from within hardware device settings, rebooting the PC and reinstalling the current drivers? Make sure in network connections the card once reinstalled is enabled, and not blocked by any firewall / antivirus software.

Occasionally, when you've been using a USB connection that can confuse things. Try deleting that. Make sure the ethernet port is set to auto configure and detect of the IP (TCP/IP) in the connection's properties.

chickendippers
11-12-2007, 20:00
This might not be massively helpful, but as this is related to your computer and not your connection, have you contacted Dell? There's nothing VM can do about it.