PDA

View Full Version : newbie installation questions....

Ramraider
10-12-2007, 22:05
Hi All, thanks for a very imformative forum, just a few questions before i have my V+ installed next week

1, VIP Package.....says the package includes an additional box, does that box have a hdmi connection or just standard scart?

2, Also we live in a terraced house and i dont want anymore cables running through my home,so this could be a headache!! as i want the additional box in the rear room but the box is on the front wall, only way i can see the engineer doing this is up and over the roof, will he do that?

3, DVD Recording....Do I have to record the program to the V+ HD then burn it to a Disc if we want to watch it in other rooms, or can I record straight onto a dvd+R etc...
I'm purchasing a Sony DVD Recorder no HD but with hdmi this weekend,so they new to me aswell hence the question, we got plenty of DVD players ;)

Thanks Ramraider :dunce:

MovedGoalPosts
10-12-2007, 22:53
:welcome: to Cable Forum :tu:

1) the "additional" Set Top Box, is a standard "V" STB, i.e. scart or RF outputs only.

2) Installers won't go over roofs or into roof spaces. Often they are reluctant to drill through anything other than walls. Ceilings, climbing longer ladders, roofspaces all have health & safety issues, or high risks of damage. Cables are usually routed from outside through an external wall and then surface clipped to skirtings.

3) Easiest option is archive to to the DVD having recorded to the V+ (you won't be able to archive HD format stuff this way. Connection between V+ and DVD would be via a scart lead. If you are using HDMI output from the V+ the scart would be disabled other than for archive, and thus you couldn't normally record direct to DVD from the cable TV feed unless you keep messing with the video settings on the V+. Alternative is to use the standard V box to record to DVD direct.

Ramraider
10-12-2007, 23:11
Cheers Rob for reply,

"Installers won't go over roofs or into roof spaces!!!!"
Looks like the additional box maybe out :-(

Also if i record a 2hr program to the V+ HD, then onto a dvd for family use in other rooms does it take another 2hrs to burn the dvd?
Just seems a time waste to me, even the outdated vhs tapes are quicker :-)

I'll figure it all out soon cheers Ramraider