PDA

View Full Version : V+ upgrade + airport express

cypress
10-12-2007, 17:30
I'm getting a new V+ box tomorrow to replace my old NTL set-top box and I understand I'll need a modem as the V+ no longer supports broadband. I phoned Virgin back to get them to install this at the same time (after reading about it on here - thanks guys).

But, i'm still convinced I'll be left without an internet connection at this crucial time before christmas.

I've got a Mac (OsX.4) plus Airport Express wireless router, which is currently connected to my set-top box with an ethernet cable. I've got my mac and a PC upstairs connected wirelessly like this. Can i just unplug the ethernet cable from the set-top box and plug it into the modem? will it really be that simple? should i have told them that i have a mac? and a wireless router? will it be a problem?

anyone any ideas as to how easy this all this? will they do it for me? will they go oh my god you've got a mac! and will it be a total nightmare?

i'm being pessimistic about the whole thing and if it's all working by tomorrow evening it will be a minor - or even major - miracle!

Thanks in advance for any help or advice.

MovedGoalPosts
10-12-2007, 17:44
Ultimately it will all depend on whether or not the modem arrives with the install package. If it does then it will simply be a case of the installer wiring up the new cable connections to the V+ and separate modem, checking the modem is activated, and you then following the install instructions. I'd setup a single mac direct to modem first, and then get to router going once the modem account has been activated. You'll want to phone tech support to get your email accounts migrated to the new modem account too.

cypress
10-12-2007, 18:03
Hi Rob
Thanks for this. The sales guy did say that they would be bringing a modem along too and said that i'd have to ring back the sales team for a PIN so I could connect to the modem. not quite sure what you mean about the email accounts though? excuse my ignorance, but what does that mean about 'migrating'? will i have to change settings in my email account?

Mmmm.. sounds like the whole thing might be a bigger nightmare than I thought. Partly because my mac isn't near where the modem will be connected to the wall, so I was hoping that I wouldn't have to start moving a lot of wires about and have them trailing around the house while i set this up and try various things out. (I have 3 small children who are bound to fall over them, yank them out etc...)

sounds like i could be on the phone to virgin for a while tomorrow so i guess i better write down their numbers before i go offline for the foreseeable future.

thanks again though, really helpful. [but i'm beginning to wonder if V+ was worth it...]

Jonnymeg
10-12-2007, 19:38
It should be fine.

All you should have to do is power down the Airport Express and disconnect from the set top box.
Once the installer has connected up your v+ and Modem plug the ethernet cable into the new modem and power up the airport express.

Then call tech support and have them register the Modem MAC address (on bottom of modem) onto your account. The modem should then reset itself, watch the lights as they should all go off and then come back on- takes about 30 secs.

With this all done switch your computers back on and it should all be as normal. There is no need to use the CD's etc.. as you already have an account.

How do i know? Because i work for them!

MovedGoalPosts
10-12-2007, 19:51
At the moment the email accounts you have will be linked to your Set Top Box. When you set up broadband via the modem, effectively you will create a new account for your broadband use. If you went to try and manage your email addresses from the Virgin Media account website, you will find your new modem user account won't know about the old email addresses assigned to your STB account. Migration is simply the VM tech support messing with their database to lift and reassign your STB emails to the modem account. Quite painless and doesn't need you to change any settings including passwords in your email client.

The PIN Number is something that is normally posted to you. It's required, once only, as part of the initial sign on process in setting up the modem as a new account to you. This is a one off process that you shouldn't have to go through again, unless for some reason a modem was to be swapped out.