PDA

View Full Version : connected to 2 different lines? (crappy BT)

surrealkid
07-12-2007, 13:08
I've finally got a BT engineer to get my phone line "working" after waiting 3 months since I foned them to get connected (Can't get Virgin :( )

Now the point of this post ....
The engineer said that the first engineer to connect the line put it into a cabinet at the other end of the street (they can't manage to get my address right). After a bit of searching for the right cable he got the thing connected to the right box. But, now there is an echo on the line whenever I call anyone and I get a dialing tone constantly in the background.

Before I send BT yet another complaint, I'm wondering is it possible that the my line is still connected to two cabinets? Would that explain the problems with the line now?

dragon
08-12-2007, 01:01
Dial 17070 (147017070 if you withhold your number) what you should get is a recorded message saying this circuit is defined as *you number* press 1 for ringback, 2 for quietline 3 for fast-test or clear down.

3 won't work as it needs an engineer id but if you press 1 it should ringback ok.

if you hear 2 numbers being read-out over eachother or constant dailtone whist its reading it back then yes it probably a crossed line.