PDA

View Full Version : Drilling a hole

iglu
05-12-2007, 09:03
I want to drill ONE hole to attach a bracket to secure a gutter. I am scared of heights so, I call the handymen...

*it will be 200 quid mate, I know it is small job but I takes time to come to your place bla bla bla..No thanks, I said...

*75 quid mate. Ok, I said. He did not show up...

It appears that 75quid is the minimum cost for anybody coming out to do a job in Guildford.

Isn't this OTT?

Ramrod
05-12-2007, 09:20
Sounds a bit ott. Not got any family or friends who could do it?:(

Mr_love_monkey
05-12-2007, 09:46
Was the hole you wanted drilled 6ft wide?

£75 is bad enough, but £200??????

goldoni
05-12-2007, 09:58
As guttering comes under plumbing why not phone a plumber, I think you phoned a person with a horse. Look in yellow pages under Institute of plumbing.

The only problem I can see is most plumbers are busy and give a two week lead time, but you never know.

iglu
05-12-2007, 09:59
Sounds a bit ott. Not got any family or friends who could do it?:(

The gutter was not that bad before a friend pulled it while cleaning it :rolleyes:

Osem
05-12-2007, 10:01
Apparently you can buy bags of self adhesive pre-drilled holes in various sizes at most major DIY stores.

:D

iglu
05-12-2007, 10:06
As guttering comes under plumbing why not phone a plumber, I think you phoned a person with a horse. Look in yellow pages under Institute of plumbing.

The only problem I can see is most plumbers are busy and give a two week lead time, but you never know.

Thanks, I will try that.

I am looking forward to the end of Terminal 5 in March. Most trades are @T5 attracted to the high salaries: sparkies make 80K+ at T5......

---------- Post added at 09:06 ---------- Previous post was at 09:03 ----------

Apparently you can buy bags of self adhesive pre-drilled holes in various sizes at most major DIY stores.

:D

Noaaaah, I have it sticks like sh*t (http://www.screwfix.com/prods/22070/Sealants-Adhesives/Adhesives/Grab-Adhesives/High-Performance/Sticks-Like-Sh-t-290ml) but still somebody has to go up there to stick it:D

soup dragon
05-12-2007, 15:22
what about the friend that broke it whilst cleaning it?

swoop101
05-12-2007, 16:02
Heights are not the problem,
Falling is not the problem,
Landing is the problem,
So find someone big and soft to land on, preferably the mate who broke it.:p:

Halcyon
05-12-2007, 18:44
See if a friend or a neighbour can help you out.
Buy them a box of chocolates and a bottle of wine or a drink down the pub and they'l be happy and you'l have saved a load of money too.

Uncle Peter
05-12-2007, 19:00
Some window cleaning firms do gutter repairs. My window cleaner sorted mine out... can't stand going up ladders myself despite being booted out the back of helicopters and C130s on numerous occasions.

Help!!!
05-12-2007, 19:03
£75 what a rip off, I agree get someone with a ladder to help you, most it would cost is a bottle of wine or pint.

MovedGoalPosts
05-12-2007, 20:08
The job itself may only take 5 minutes, but you have to allow for the costs of getting to and from the property (van costs and fuel), time (traffic is a real killer these days), getting the ladder off the vehicle erected tied off, and subsequently put back on the van, admin costs for invoicing, bookeeper (even if you pay by cash your legit non cowboy handyman will declare the income to the taxman :erm: ), and realistically to comply with Health & Safety you'll have contributed to the handyman having sent himself on a ladder awareness training course which cost him some sort of exhorbitant sum which probably means he needs a helper to support the ladder in case of falls, back up ambulance / first aid / welfare staff and all sorts.

So OK I started seriously, and then became a bit more flippant, but bottom line, for Surrey, the £75.00 probably is a sensible going rate. Problem is how to get the bloke to turn up and do the job. :shrug:

Jon T
05-12-2007, 20:11
The job itself may only take 5 minutes, but you have to allow for the costs of getting to and from the property (van costs and fuel), time (traffic is a real killer these days), getting the ladder off the vehicle erected tied off, and subsequently put back on the van, admin costs for invoicing, bookeeper (even if you pay by cash your legit non cowboy handyman will declare the income to the taxman :erm: ), and realistically to comply with Health & Safety you'll have contributed to the handyman having sent himself on a ladder awareness training course which cost him some sort of exhorbitant sum which probably means he needs a helper to support the ladder in case of falls, back up ambulance / first aid / welfare staff and all sorts.

So OK I started seriously, and then became a bit more flippant, but bottom line, for Surrey, the £75.00 probably is a sensible going rate. Problem is how to get the bloke to turn up and do the job. :shrug:

Make sure you factor in the huge insurance costs associated with working at height. I know a guy who is an aerial erector and he say's the insurance is astronomical.

iglu
08-12-2007, 07:30
Some window cleaning firms do gutter repairs. My window cleaner sorted mine out... can't stand going up ladders myself despite being booted out the back of helicopters and C130s on numerous occasions.

The window cleaning firm promised to repair it but when they came, they had forgot their tools.

Anyway, I found a "handyman" that wants £20 per hour or £120 a day. He is coming on Tuesday....let's wait and see..

Vlad_Dracul
10-12-2007, 17:27
Seems to me that if your mate can stnad hieghts enough to get up there,clean the gutters and bugger it up,then he can go back up and fit a new bracket. Either way,if your not keen,don't risk it. Look what happened to Rod Hull.

£75 isnt too bad. After all,it isnt really the drilling of the hole thats being chraged for. Its your exclsuive use of said tradesman for about an hour plus materials.