PDA

View Full Version : 'Get your car TAX disc online'... Rubbish

Mick
04-12-2007, 17:37
Just what the hell is wrong with DVLA? - I know of a few people who have ordered their TAX disc online within the right time frame i.e 5 working days before the end of the month and still haven't received it.

They have phoned up several times now which they are being told 'It's been sent out 1st class - its Royal Mails fault'. When DVLA was asked 'What would happen if they got pulled by the police for not displaying a valid tax disc?". One DVLA rep said her car needed to be off the public road! While another DVLA rep said it would be okay, it would depend on the attitude of the police and whether they would check the DVLA database and confirm the TAX disc was being issued.

Why are they not sending the TAX discs by first class recorded delivery? You would think they would and even more so by the third attempt to inform DVLA that the tax disc still hasn't arrived and its now December 4th...

Anyone else who has used this service? Have you had issues ordering their TAX disc online??

deadite66
04-12-2007, 17:38
both times i've used it it arrived after only a few days.

MovedGoalPosts
04-12-2007, 17:43
When I've used it, it was fine.

I suspect it's like most computer systems. Great except for the odd black hole created by a bug.

superbiatch
04-12-2007, 17:44
The only trouble i had is when i was purchasing a tax disc, and my current insurance was due to run out before my tax disc did. Even though i had my new certificate of insurance (i suppose i could have cancelled) they would not allow me to purchase it online. The 2nd time i tried (6 months later) i had no problems at all :tu:

TheNorm
04-12-2007, 17:52
both times i've used it it arrived after only a few days.

Me too.

zing_deleted
04-12-2007, 17:57
wont effect me as I do not drive however if pulled and done for it id insist on a court case and show proof DVLA have not played the game>id imagine if this route was taken any case would be thrown out of court

bw41101
04-12-2007, 17:57
The only trouble i had is when i was purchasing a tax disc, and my current insurance was due to run out before my tax disc did. Even though i had my new certificate of insurance (i suppose i could have cancelled) they would not allow me to purchase it online. The 2nd time i tried (6 months later) i had no problems at all :tu:

Funny you should say that, as I had the same problem except (with me) it was the MOT that was due to run out just before the tax was ready for renewal - the kind of extra pressure one doesn't need just before the tax is due. :mad: Mind you, I cured that problem by buying a six month disk (this time around), when the next is due (January) I'll go back on to 12 monthly which will put the MOT in the middle of the tax period instead of the end. ;)

Si thee

superbiatch
04-12-2007, 17:58
Mind you, I cured that problem by buying a six month disk (this time around), when the next is due (January) I'll go back on to 12 monthly which will put the MOT in the middle of the tax period instead of the end. ;)

Si thee

I did exactly the same thing ;)

r1ch
04-12-2007, 18:03
Me too, although I think that the whole thing is a bit stupid. I've been stuck in limbo so many times where my car is not supposed to be on the road because I'm waiting for a new tax disc or insurance certificate so that I can get a tax disc because my insurance renewal date is the same as the tax date. MOT has to happen around the same time too. Why can't I just set up a monthly direct debit given that they can check the details by computer anyway?

---------- Post added at 18:03 ---------- Previous post was at 18:01 ----------

bw41101 (http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/members/27805.html) - snap... Guess that I need to buy a 10 month insurance deal too.

Derek
04-12-2007, 18:14
wont effect me as I do not drive however if pulled and done for it id insist on a court case and show proof DVLA have not played the game>id imagine if this route was taken any case would be thrown out of court

If the Police were being really picky about it they could point out the offence is failure to display a valid excise licence regardless of the reasons.

You would have to be VERY unlucky (or cheeky) to have it go that far though.

mrmistoffelees
04-12-2007, 18:18
I thought that you could apply for a tax disc up to month before the current one expired ? or is that just the MOT ?

If it is the case then why would anyone leave it until the five days before renewal before applying online ?

r1ch
04-12-2007, 18:20
I thought that you could apply for a tax disc up to month before the current one expired ? or is that just the MOT ?

If it is the case then why would anyone leave it until the five days before renewal before applying online ?

Actually, IIRC it is only 15 days (online at least), which means that if you are on holiday or away on business at the wrong time it can be tricky.

mrmistoffelees
04-12-2007, 18:24
Actually, IIRC it is only 15 days (online at least), which means that if you are on holiday or away on business at the wrong time it can be tricky.

You are correct in the online sense however for taxing in person

Tax in advance
You can renew your tax up to two calendar months in advance in person or by post at a Post Office® branch that deals with advance applications or a Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) local office.

So long as the insurance still has at least one calendar month to go IIRC

Mick
04-12-2007, 18:43

One thing, they are on a monthly salary and they don't receive it until the latter end of the month. My friends ordered it on the 22nd November which is ample time IMO.

Anyone who applies for a TAX disc way before it is due, is very keen at handing over money to the governments coffers.

Personally, I always collect mine, in person - from the post office.

TheNorm
04-12-2007, 19:03
...which means that if you are on holiday or away on business at the wrong time it can be tricky.

There aren't many holiday or business destinations without internet access...

Mick
04-12-2007, 19:12

Yeah and just think of the security implications using any net access point used by Joe public. I don't think it would be a wise idea filling out Credit card details on a machine that is used by any Tom, Dick or Harry.

mrmistoffelees
04-12-2007, 19:21

And people can also collect your tax disc on your behalf too

Paul
04-12-2007, 19:31
I didn't even know you could do this.

(The lease company sends me my disc).

mrmistoffelees
04-12-2007, 19:35
It's not something I would do, I prefer as Mick said above to go and get mine from the post office. The chances are that if DVLA could get it sent out some dodgy postie somewhere would have it stashed in his bedroom ;) :D

Help!!!
04-12-2007, 20:16
Never had that problem with mine, came within days. If your friend was desperate why didn't he do it the old fashioned way?

Mick
04-12-2007, 20:31
Never had that problem with mine, came within days. If your friend was desperate why didn't he do it the old fashioned way?

*She* wasn't desperate, I never said she was, at the time when she first ordered it there was plenty of days for the tax disc to arrive. But she will be going back to doing it the next time round, the old fashioned way, by going to the PO to collect it.

Vlad_Dracul
04-12-2007, 21:31
I have used the service several times and it has worked perfectly...

Marge
04-12-2007, 22:08
No problems here when I renewed mine online :)

Wicked_and_Crazy
04-12-2007, 22:34
Just what the hell is wrong with DVLA? - I know of a few people who have ordered their TAX disc online within the right time frame i.e 5 working days before the end of the month and still haven't received it.

They have phoned up several times now which they are being told 'It's been sent out 1st class - its Royal Mails fault'. When DVLA was asked 'What would happen if they got pulled by the police for not displaying a valid tax disc?". One DVLA rep said her car needed to be off the public road! While another DVLA rep said it would be okay, it would depend on the attitude of the police and whether they would check the DVLA database and confirm the TAX disc was being issued.

Why are they not sending the TAX discs by first class recorded delivery? You would think they would and even more so by the third attempt to inform DVLA that the tax disc still hasn't arrived and its now December 4th...

Anyone else who has used this service? Have you had issues ordering their TAX disc online??

I've used the service and not a problem at all. However last week two items were posted to me on Monday 1st class and they were delivered on Saturday so im inclined to believe its Royal Mails fault :mad:

AndyCambs
04-12-2007, 22:36
If the Police were being really picky about it they could point out the offence is failure to display a valid excise licence regardless of the reasons.

You would have to be VERY unlucky (or cheeky) to have it go that far though.

No tax is indicative of no insurance and/or MOT as well though.
Unless it's changed, the police report for the offence of no tax, DVLA do the prosecuting.

Wicked_and_Crazy
04-12-2007, 22:45
(The lease company sends me my disc).

And Gordy enjoys your extra tax contributions ;)

Help!!!
04-12-2007, 23:44
*She* wasn't desperate, I never said she was, at the time when she first ordered it there was plenty of days for the tax disc to arrive. But she will be going back to doing it the next time round, the old fashioned way, by going to the PO to collect it.

Well it seems the service is fine maybe its just your area. ;)

Xaccers
04-12-2007, 23:47
And Gordy enjoys your extra tax contributions ;)

Bloody theiving wotnots if you ask me.
My car on it's current fuel is considered CO2 neutral, but I'm still charged £200 a year!
LPG cars get a discount on fuel and on tax, so why not SVO which are even cleaner?
Grr.

Pia
26-10-2008, 21:53
Minor Bump ;)

I bought a car earlier this week and i left the blokey to send the details to DVLA for me to await my new V5 certificate...
I've not got it yet and i want to tax my car which expires this month... I would have preferred to do it online, is this not possible now? :( What if i don't get the log book before the 31st? I can't tax the car?

SMG
26-10-2008, 21:58
Ive used the online service twice, & both times the disc arrived within a few days. Very impressed.

whydoIneedatech
26-10-2008, 22:01
Minor Bump ;)

I bought a car earlier this week and i left the blokey to send the details to DVLA for me to await my new V5 certificate...
I've not got it yet and i want to tax my car which expires this month... I would have preferred to do it online, is this not possible now? :( What if i don't get the log book before the 31st? I can't tax the car?

Whenever I have taxed my car online they have sent out a reminder with a special code on it that you have to input in order to process the Car tax.

You may have to go to your local car tax office if you have no V5 or did he give you a part of the V5, if so you may be able to use that at a Main Post Office to renew your tax.

You can check the online Car Tax Website Here (http://www.taxdisc.direct.gov.uk/EvlPortalApp/application;JSESSIONID_EvlPortalApp=JGyg80cSHLQSv6 C2K6QtHQbbJvTn1Q2lCyvnPQ8shzC4ScTJTLJx%21-1473811166%21-1808533086?origin=vnav_bar.jsp&event=bea.portal.framework.internal.refresh&pageid=Apply+for+a+tax+disc+NOW)

Gary L
26-10-2008, 22:02
When DVLA was asked 'What would happen if they got pulled by the police for not displaying a valid tax disc?". One DVLA rep said her car needed to be off the public road! While another DVLA rep said it would be okay, it would depend on the attitude of the police and whether they would check the DVLA database and confirm the TAX disc was being issued.

When you order it online you get a receipt to say you've purchased it. date/time and such.
You print it out and show the Police if you get stopped.
I don't think they would do you for failing to display, he probably wouldn't dare if he's not sure what to do if you show him the DVLA print out.

tweetypie/8
26-10-2008, 22:33

one of our mlas didnt bother his a..e taxing or mot ing his motorbike and was caught on and dealt with,;)

Pia
26-10-2008, 22:39
You may have to go to your local car tax office if you have no V5 or did he give you a part of the V5, if so you may be able to use that at a Main Post Office to renew your tax.

You can check the online Car Tax Website Here (http://www.taxdisc.direct.gov.uk/EvlPortalApp/application;JSESSIONID_EvlPortalApp=JGyg80cSHLQSv6 C2K6QtHQbbJvTn1Q2lCyvnPQ8shzC4ScTJTLJx%21-1473811166%21-1808533086?origin=vnav_bar.jsp&event=bea.portal.framework.internal.refresh&pageid=Apply+for+a+tax+disc+NOW)

Car tax office? :shrug:

I've got the green slip from the V5, if that might help but i'm sure i read on the direct.gov site that you need the full version, in your name?

Gary L
26-10-2008, 23:03
Car tax office? :shrug:

I've got the green slip from the V5, if that might help but i'm sure i read on the direct.gov site that you need the full version, in your name?

You can tax the car with the little green slip. the V5 is sent to DVLA with new keepers details.

Pia
26-10-2008, 23:05
Ah sweet, thanks... Do you have a link or anything where it says that?

On another note, is there anywhere online where i can check how much it's going to cost for my particular car?

whydoIneedatech
26-10-2008, 23:09
Ah sweet, thanks... Do you have a link or anything where it says that?

On another note, is there anywhere online where i can check how much it's going to cost for my particular car?
Click on my link above and go to vehicle enquiry and put your reg and model in and it will tell you the cost, ignore the timeout just click to continue.

Gary L
26-10-2008, 23:14
Having just read my V5, it looks like it's all changed.
you can use the slip to tax for 2 months from date of purchase.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/OwningAVehicle/HowToTaxYourVehicle/DG_4022118

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/OwningAVehicle/HowToTaxYourVehicle/DG_069680

whydoIneedatech
26-10-2008, 23:17
Mine only costs £35 a year and I have to pay it all at once, less than 119mg emissions.

Gary L
26-10-2008, 23:21
Mine only costs £35 a year and I have to pay it all at once,

That's a lot of money to have to fork out all at once. once a year :(

idi banashapan
26-10-2008, 23:21

that happened to me too, so i phoned them and they send another one which duly turned up. since then, i just phone the number on the reminder and enter in my reference number - it's actually quicker on the phone than online!

whydoIneedatech
26-10-2008, 23:22
That's a lot of money to have to fork out all at once. once a year :(
The first year it was £75 the second £40 now its £35 every 31st of January.:shocked:

Gary L
26-10-2008, 23:27
The first year it was £75 the second £40 now its £35 every 31st of January.:shocked:

Give me a second.
right, what car is it?

whydoIneedatech
26-10-2008, 23:30
Give me a second.
right, what car is it?
It is a Suzuki Alto and supposedly can do 72 miles to the gallon, it is double overhead cam and is very nippy and of course cheap to run, I average 50mpg because I hammer it.

Now you can laugh:p::p::p::p:

Pia
26-10-2008, 23:34
Click on my link above and go to vehicle enquiry and put your reg and model in and it will tell you the cost, ignore the timeout just click to continue.

Thanks, it's £66 for 6 months.

It is a Suzuki Alto

My friend has a Clio and pays £35 a year too.

whydoIneedatech
26-10-2008, 23:36
Thanks, it's £66 for 6 months.

My friend has a Clio and pays £35 a year too.

That is not bad for a Saxo about the same as a Ford KA, her Clio is probably quite new then and possibly a small diesel.

Can you tax it online or not?

Pia
26-10-2008, 23:39
One more thing, on the vehicle enquiry it says

Vehicle Type Approval null

What does that mean then? :dunce:

---------- Post added at 23:39 ---------- Previous post was at 23:37 ----------

That is not bad for a Saxo about the same as a Ford KA, her Clio is probably quite new then and possibly a small diesel.

Can you tax it online or not?

Date of Liability 01 11 2008
Date of First Registration 01 08 1996
Year of Manufacture 1996
Cylinder Capacity (cc) 1124CC
CO2 Emissions Not Available
Fuel Type Petrol
Export Marker Not Applicable
Vehicle Status Licence Due to Expire
Vehicle Colour BLUE

Why aren't my co2 emissions available then? Booooo :td:

I still don't know if i can tax it online :shrug:

It tells you to verify that you are the registered keeper and have the V5 cert, which technically i'm probably not yet the registered keeper am i?:dunce:

whydoIneedatech
26-10-2008, 23:41

---------- Post added at 23:39 ---------- Previous post was at 23:37 ----------

Date of Liability 01 11 2008 Date of First Registration 01 08 1996 Year of Manufacture 1996 Cylinder Capacity (cc) 1124CC CO2 Emissions Not Available Fuel Type Petrol Export Marker Not Applicable Vehicle Status Licence Due to Expire Vehicle Colour BLUE Vehicle Type Approval null
Why aren't my co2 emissions available then? Booooo :td:

I still don't know if i can tax it online :shrug:

It tells you to verify that you are the registered keeper and have the V5 cert, which technically i'm probably not yet the registered keeper am i?:dunce:

not sure on the null because mine says M1

Emmisions will be due to the age of the car.

Try taxing it as they can only say yes or no, if no then you will have to take you documents to the Post Office.

Gary L
26-10-2008, 23:42
It is a Suzuki Alto and supposedly can do 72 miles to the gallon, it is double overhead cam and is very nippy and of course cheap to run, I average 50mpg because I hammer it.

Now you can laugh:p::p::p::p:

I'm not laughing.

honest :)

whydoIneedatech
26-10-2008, 23:49
I'm not laughing.

honest :)
It does what I want and has took me to quite a few places and is really economical on a long journey.

Kymmy
27-10-2008, 07:43

NULL means that it's before March 2001 and so the figures are not relevant...

Anything before March 2001 only falls into one of two catagories based on engine capacity..

Not over 1549cc
Over 1549cc