PDA

View Full Version : Sat Nav

Damien
04-12-2007, 14:35
Can anyone recommend a good Sat Nav? It's a Christmas Present and quality is the prime concern is quality rather than price. I have seen expensive ones that I am willing to get but only it if's actually good. I don't just want to get the fully featured ott one.

(Do they work in Europe as well?)

Hom3r
04-12-2007, 14:38
in one word TOMTOM

superbiatch
04-12-2007, 14:39
In my experience, nothing works as well as TOMTOM :tu:

Damien
04-12-2007, 14:40
Any model?

TheDaddy
04-12-2007, 14:41
Don't you need a different memory card for Europe?

Damien
04-12-2007, 14:41
Also do you really need bluetooth? What does it add?

Hom3r
04-12-2007, 14:48
I have bought the TOMTOM Europe mainly because I drive in europe as a part of my job.

Mine has bluetooth for some traffic updates. (but i'm on PAYG so don't bother)

What is your budget and where are you planning of traveling?

If you are just using it in the UK get the basic model.

---------- Post added at 13:48 ---------- Previous post was at 13:47 ----------

Don't you need a different memory card for Europe?

You only need a memory card of the Unit doesn't have enough, the top model has a 20GB HD (IIFC)

Mine had Western Europe built in.

Damien
04-12-2007, 15:01
Travel will be in the UK and France. It's not for me and I doubt they will want to link it up with a phone. But maybe having the option built in is ok..

http://www.amazon.co.uk/TomTom-Satellite-Navigation-Without-Bluetooth/dp/B000TXDOW4/ref=pd_sbs_ce_title_2

I was looking at that one

MovedGoalPosts
04-12-2007, 15:10
You only need the bluetooth type facilities to link to a phone if you want to susbcribe to traffic congestion type updates while you are on the move. That's probably the weakest part of the TomTom setup as you need to trigger the updates manually, not so easy when you are driving along and the gadget is stuck out of reach on the windscreen.

I have the Tom Tom One UK version, I find it easy to use and quite accurate. Some junctions can cause a mild confusion though as "bear left" or "turn left" can mean different things. It pays to glance at the displayed map.

Damien
04-12-2007, 15:12
What else makes a sat nav 'good' and do they come with maps built in?

MovedGoalPosts
04-12-2007, 15:18
The maps are generally stored on memory cards. The satnave you buy will have a set of these meps supplied. As time goes by you will need to purchase updates to address new road layouts and stuff. This can be done as an internet download. Similarly, a UK only version, can be upgraded by purchasing additional maps.

Think about where the Sat Nav will be used, in car, hillwalking or what - some have a limited battery life, is there a cigarrete type lighter socket in the car an charger can be connected to? Does the car have a heated windwscreen? Some satnavs need an external aerial to work with that.

TheDaddy
04-12-2007, 15:19
What else makes a sat nav 'good'?

In my experience not a lot, people I work with are quite literally lost without them, despite travelling on the same routes every day, not good in an emergency situation I can tell you, also I have noticed 'a lot' of the time it directs you on to a longer route, that said people seem to like them so who am I to criticise

MovedGoalPosts
04-12-2007, 15:21
One of the most useful features I've found is the speed camera warning systems. Usually an add on, requiring monthly subscriptions for an internet update (you attach the satnav to your PC by a USB lead), they do give good warning of sites as you approach. They can't deal with temporary sites such as camera vans though.

gaffer_gump
04-12-2007, 16:32
They can do the camera vans 'as the sites they sit on have to be mapped' etc if you enable all 4 camera warning modes, gatso / mobile / pmobile and specs, it even picks up the red light traffic lights that have cameras on them,

The one you linked from amazon is spot on Damien and will do everything you need.

Just remember to use your common sence and the voice cmds are always a little forward so when it says turn right it dont mean right NOW.. follow the little arrows and you will love it.

It's like having someone next to you that has been before and can read a map and dosn't feel the need to eat all your barley sugars and try to turn the cd player off.

SOSAGES
04-12-2007, 16:41
i find not going over the speed limit works a lot better than waiting to hear a BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

altis
04-12-2007, 16:57
I have a Garmin and Mrs A has a TomTom. They are very similar. If one is better at one thing then the other will be better at another.

What ever you do, make sure you get one that will allow you to download up to date maps. My Garmin StreetPilot C330 (with mapping for nearly all of Europe) allowed me to do this free when I registered it.

Loads more info here:
http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/

Damien
04-12-2007, 17:33
Cheers everyone!

I think I might get this:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/TomTom-Western-Europe-Travel-Free/dp/B000Q7ARPK/ref=sr_1_34?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1196785891&sr=1-34

Is there anything else I should know/get with it?

TheDaddy
04-12-2007, 17:48
A stylus wand thingy might come in handy, like you get with the DS, saves getting the screen greasy ;)

Damien
04-12-2007, 17:52
Cool comes with maps built in? How is it powered?

gaffer_gump
04-12-2007, 19:51
Cool comes with maps built in? How is it powered?

Battery powered lasts about 2hrs I think, but you get an in car charger and also a usb cable that charges it as well.

The maps are built in on the version 3 so no sd card and its loads quicker than the other versions as it picks the country after its turned on unlike the version 2 that loads every country on start up.

Tis cheaper in halfords but you don't get a case, £10 tops on fleebay, as stated before it's a real good idea to have a little plastic stylus as per Nintendo ds

Hom3r
04-12-2007, 20:41
When I bought my TT Europe it came with a case.

It is vey accurate, I also downloaded John Cleese's voice which is very funny.

Currently TT are doing a map sale (50% I think)

I charge mine using the car charger, or using the same USB cable that I use to connect my PSP/Creative Zen to the PC.

Vlad_Dracul
04-12-2007, 22:37
Had a tomtom one for a couple of years and it works fine. They publish regular software updates. At the moment i have on mine,

GB maps,
Major roads of western Europe
East side of USA

I used it when on hols on the US last year for three weeks of driving. It never faltered and totally enriched our experience,saw loads more,made the driving a pleasure.

World of one
04-12-2007, 23:57
I've had both Garmin (i3 & Geko) and Tomtom (Go710 European with TMC) and I have to say I liked the Garmin most, the only reason I chose the Tomtom is because they are meant to have the best maps of Europe (in reality I don't think this is the case) and display current speed on screen at all times (can be converted to KPH when in Europe which was handy) The biggest down side (and it's a big one) was that the maps of the UK were very inaccurate, and their customer service is awful, it tried to navigate me up a one way street on more than one occasion, something my Garmin i3 NEVER did. The latest Tomtom 520 & 720's now have a feature called Mapshare which may partly fix this issue, but I just don't trust them anymore with customer care (just check out the Garmin and Tomtom websites and see which is more helpful in the real world)

Damien
05-12-2007, 00:49
Does the in-car charger come with it?

Damien
09-12-2007, 12:28
One question: Does the last model I linked to have speed camera spotting?

bopdude
09-12-2007, 12:48
One question: Does the last model I linked to have speed camera spotting?

The camera feature is an add on / download, I get my updates via rar file and just copy and paste the files into the map folder, then it's just a case of managing your P.O.I's ( points of interest ) and the various parameters such as sound and distance etc.

Nidge
09-12-2007, 19:39
in one word TOMTOM

Yup can't go far wrong with TOM TOM.

STONEISLAND
24-06-2008, 14:07
Does anyone use the Bluetooth for mobiles? What’s the quality like?

danielf
01-08-2008, 00:24
Perhaps you guys can help me out here. I'm looking to get the wife a satnav for her birthday, and I think it needs to be a TomTom (one). I'm a little stumped with all the models/features (and vast price differential). I think I want to get UK and Europe maps, I don't think she's bothered about cameras. I'm not sure about the traffic updates. If I understand correctly this is a paid service that requires bluetooth connectivity (which pushed the price up quite a bit)? If so, I don't think she'd really be interested in that.

I've also noticed there's V4, V3 and even the odd V2 available. Does one of these stand out as being much better? Finally: I saw there is an XL model that has a larger screen. Would this be worthwhile, or is the standard screen size adequate?

TIA :)

homealone
01-08-2008, 00:53
Perhaps you guys can help me out here. I'm looking to get the wife a satnav for her birthday, and I think it needs to be a TomTom (one). I'm a little stumped with all the models/features (and vast price differential). I think I want to get UK and Europe maps, I don't think she's bothered about cameras. I'm not sure about the traffic updates. If I understand correctly this is a paid service that requires bluetooth connectivity (which pushed the price up quite a bit)? If so, I don't think she'd really be interested in that.

I've also noticed there's V4, V3 and even the odd V2 available. Does one of these stand out as being much better? Finally: I saw there is an XL model that has a larger screen. Would this be worthwhile, or is the standard screen size adequate?

TIA :)

I'm a newbie when it comes to sat nav, having been provided with one for my new job - the Traffic option requires a separate module & antenna, afaik, it works on FM, rather than Bluetooth & is not an option with the cheaper/basic modules.

Bluetooth is not an option with the basic models, but afaik adds pairing with a suitable mobile so you can use the nav unit for hands free.

Mine is a Navman S30, which has a 3.5" screen I find adequate - tbh the voice directions are more useful, I find, as I'd rather look at the road, than the screen..

I've not used it much, yet, but I found it recalculates very quickly if you stray from the recommended route.

The Tesco direct Tom Tom One with UK and Europe maps

http://direct.tesco.com/q/R.200-4468.aspx

looks good, if I didn't have the work one I would have seriously considered it ...

Ricksta7
01-08-2008, 00:54
I have a TomTom One XL and find it fantastic... I have only had it about 6 months and no problems, Also as you probably already know, TomTom has "Mapshare" feature which basically means when you plug it into you're PC you will get everyones little corrections that TomTom have checked ofcourse. Great device overall, and as for the XL version, It is not too much bigger in comparison to the standard size, but I prefer it :) Also I saw it in my local ASDA for £129.99 but don't think that was Europe? Only UK and Ireland.

MovedGoalPosts
01-08-2008, 01:13
If you aren't likely to use Europe, you only need a GB version ;)

I've been very happy with the Tom Tom One, standard size. TBH a bigger map isn't that essential. You only briefly glance at it when you are driving and approaching a potentially confuising junction. Everything is still very clear.

Traffic cameras are a nice add on. It's a computer based updating subscription.

With the Tom Tom, traffic congestion uses bluetooth and your mobile phone. Can add up a bit on call charges as it does need to regularly update if it's going to try and get you round the easiest route. I don't find it that useful.

danielf
01-08-2008, 01:29
If you aren't likely to use Europe, you only need a GB version ;)

I've been very happy with the Tom Tom One, standard size. TBH a bigger map isn't that essential. You only briefly glance at it when you are driving and approaching a potentially confuising junction. Everything is still very clear.

Traffic cameras are a nice add on. It's a computer based updating subscription.

With the Tom Tom, traffic congestion uses bluetooth and your mobile phone. Can add up a bit on call charges as it does need to regularly update if it's going to try and get you round the easiest route. I don't find it that useful.

I don't think we'd be using Europe a great deal, but it seems criminal to not include it (seeing we are both 'Continentalists'). Traffic cameras appear to be standard with most versions. From the responses so far, it looks like I won't need to bother with the large screen or traffic congestion, which leaves the version number: 2 (which seems a bit old for a present), 3 or 4. Any thoughts?

MovedGoalPosts
01-08-2008, 02:04
If you get an older version, be sure that it has a current map. Otherwise there probably isn't a massive difference.

A lot of the sat navs have "free" traffic cameras, but in fact it allows you only one month's worth of updates. The Tom Tom updates are monthly, so effectively this allows you to ensure the thing is current when you buy it. In my view traffic updates should allow a year's worth of free updates so check what it actually means in the small print.

LSainsbury
01-08-2008, 10:12
The TomTom traffic camera subscription is not worth the money IMO...they are not updated that often - only about once every 3 months in reality and don't believe the marketing rubbish from them.

If you want a better speed camera DB, get yourself along to the http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/ site and get theirs...

I think it costs about £12 for a years subscription...

tweetypie/8
01-08-2008, 12:16
in one word TOMTOM

agreed.

danielf
02-08-2008, 00:06
:LOL:

I posted here as I was planning to buy a Tomtom for the missus as a birthday present. Over dinner she mentioned that she has a trip coming up next week, and was considering popping into Halfords tomorrow to get a Tomtom. That's the birthday present plan scuppered... She was pleased with the research I had done though, and we quickly settled on the Tomtom that meets her needs. She suggested I get her a moro cookbook as a birthday present instead.