PDA

View Full Version : New build, on cable available road without triangular box...

mcounsell
02-12-2007, 23:44
Hi,

I just bought a new house that is in a cable area. I don't have a little triangular box in the pavement outside the front but the house next-door-but-one is reported by VM to be "ready for cable" and there is a green utility box outside the front of the house. The houses accross the street are also reported to be able to get cable. Despite this, at first try, NTL/VM are dragging their feet. I'm made many many calls but got nowhere. I'm considering running my own cable to the green box in the hope that this will help ( on a different topic I'll clearly want to ensure that I use the right cable and maybe pay a premium to ensure that it's up to spec). Does anyone know if this "part DIY" route to running the last few metres of cable will help? The distance is 41m.

Mike

WHISTLED
03-12-2007, 00:39
Yes I know and no of course it wont help, to guarantee services and offer any fault calls they need to do the install. Do you even know if the green cab is VM or BT?

Whats 41M? The cab from the prop?

mcounsell
03-12-2007, 09:56
I think that the green cab is VM given the layout of the pavement refills etc.

41m is the distance from our land to both the green cab and the border of the first house that VM have listed as connected to the cable. IE the green cab is right at the end of the previous run of houses if that makes sense.

WHISTLED
03-12-2007, 10:03
Yes it does - 41m is a hell of a long way, im in a similar situation but only a arund 6m but crossing the road also in a new build.

Im staff and I couldnt swing it for myself IMO your chances are unfortunetaley 0%

sprattgraham
03-12-2007, 23:40
We had the pay NTL half the cost to install us as the cable run was 50m and they had to enter a private road.

Try and contact VM on 44 (0)1256 752000 and ask for complaints they might be able to you through to the correct department in your area.

mcounsell
04-12-2007, 00:09
Thanks for the info. I would gladly pay all of the install cost if it meant I could get back my much loved 20MB

since1979
24-12-2007, 18:24
I have just moved into a different property and when i asked VM they just said there not expanding coverage i have the small black cover on the street and all i need is the cable laid from there to my house but they are not intrested. What annoys me that i have been a cable customer for over 9/10 yrs and this is how im treated