PDA

View Full Version : 60gb hdd in 40gb ps3?

dragon
02-12-2007, 21:54
Am I right in thinking it doesn't void the warranty changing the hard-drive?

Is it worth going though the hasstle of changing it just for an extra 20gb?

Only ask becuase I 2.5" 60gb Sata drive in a USB caddy, it was orginally out my macbook.

Was wandering if I should swap it with the 40gb in the ps3...
Although Would I need to put the original drive back in to send the ps3 for repair if it went faulty (which wouldn't be a problem unless I lose the USB caddy)

Keane
03-12-2007, 01:44
Believe me, you're getting more than just an extra 20gb when you buy the 60gb.

With the 60gb, you are still able to play PS2 games via software emulation bcause software was removed when they did the 40gb (because Sony are daft ****s who think their current measly selection is better than their back catalogue). The 40gb has had some USB ports and the card reader removed.

While it may not seem like much, if you've got a lot of PS2 games or like PS2 gaming then you're best choice is the 60gb. The carder comes in handy if you've a PSP as do the extra USB ports.

--

If you sent your PS3 in to be fixed, then it would have to include the original hard drive. Using a different drive would be useful if you plan to install Linux on your system because then you can keep all your files seperate.

shawty
03-12-2007, 12:26
Believe me, you're getting more than just an extra 20gb when you buy the 60gb.

With the 60gb, you are still able to play PS2 games via software emulation bcause software was removed when they did the 40gb (because Sony are daft ****s who think their current measly selection is better than their back catalogue). The 40gb has had some USB ports and the card reader removed.

While it may not seem like much, if you've got a lot of PS2 games or like PS2 gaming then you're best choice is the 60gb. The carder comes in handy if you've a PSP as do the extra USB ports.

--

If you sent your PS3 in to be fixed, then it would have to include the original hard drive. Using a different drive would be useful if you plan to install Linux on your system because then you can keep all your files seperate.

If people have loads of PS2 games then Im guessing they (or the majority) still have a PS2. Yes maybe it is a bit of a pain keeping it out or plugged in, but to be honest, if there PS2 games mean that much to them, then it wont bother them.

Also Dont forget if you are wanting backwards compatibility (which he never actually mentioned when talking about the 40GB so I dont know what you have brought it up for) then you will need a memory card adapter to be able to carry on the current level you are on.

dragon
03-12-2007, 12:50
Lack of BC doesn't worry me as the last ps2 game I bought was ages ago and I still have my ps2 anyway..

I already have a 40gb Ps3, the question I asked is is it worth changing the drive just to get an extra 20gb seeing as I have a 60gb drive "spare" (it's in a usb caddy atm but theres not much on it so I could swap it with the 40 inside the PS3)

icestar2
03-12-2007, 14:54
Lack of BC doesn't worry me as the last ps2 game I bought was ages ago and I still have my ps2 anyway..

I already have a 40gb Ps3, the question I asked is is it worth changing the drive just to get an extra 20gb seeing as I have a 60gb drive "spare" (it's in a usb caddy atm but theres not much on it so I could swap it with the 40 inside the PS3)

Will you need the extra space ? if yes then I surgest doing it. Not realy hard to do and that extra 20GB can come in handy if you put videos on or download games from the PSN store.