PDA

View Full Version : V+ Box And Modem Installation

piledriver
30-11-2007, 16:02
Coming to replace my old samsung box with a new V+ tomorrow,
As the V box does not supply broadband i will be having a modem as well, will i now have two cables running around the room or can the cable be split behind the box and then feed both the box and modem?
Thanks in advance

vmtec
30-11-2007, 16:35
As the V box does not supply broadband i will be having a modem as well, will i now have two cables running around the room or can the cable be split behind the box and then feed both the box and modem?
Thanks in advance

yes you can split behind the box
then it would benifit you to get a wireless router
just to make life easy !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

piledriver
30-11-2007, 17:22
yes you can split behind the box
then it would benifit you to get a wireless router
just to make life easy !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thats good then will save me having to re-arrange the house.
Will the cable be fitted to a twin outlet box and just plug into that?
Have got a router already i hope this will still work with the new set up.

blakenhall
03-12-2007, 19:34
Thanks in advance

Advice needed please!

I'm due to have the V+ installed this Friday 7th Dec - I re-checked with Customer Services if the box will take the 4mb broadband thro its ethernet connection - they checked and informed that the set top box would accept it.

After seeing this post I am now concerned. Do I need to have a Modem installed at the same time / telephone CS to order it.

HowardCanning
03-12-2007, 19:50
Advice needed please!

I'm due to have the V+ installed this Friday 7th Dec - I re-checked with Customer Services if the box will take the 4mb broadband thro its ethernet connection - they checked and informed that the set top box would accept it.

After seeing this post I am now concerned. Do I need to have a Modem installed at the same time / telephone CS to order it.

Yes, CS lied to you, you can not use the V+ box as a modem :(

hairy_mick
03-12-2007, 20:04
now have seen a v+ on telewest network use the modem i did not think it was possiable but you can.

piledriver
03-12-2007, 21:01
Just got the V box and modem installed on Saturday the virgin tech did exactly what "vmtech" said and put a splitter box at a point most convenient to me to feed both box and modem. Whilst waiting for the box to boot he installed the modem and set it up for me which was great as c/s had not activated the account prior to his call and that saved me a great deal of hastle.
The box and modem are working great with stunning pictures through the hdmi, would recommend this upgrade.
And i would just like to say a huge thanks to Paul, the virgin tech, for such a professional installation:)

spiderplant
03-12-2007, 22:07
now have seen a v+ on telewest network use the modem i did not think it was possiable but you can.

It is technically possible, but you won't even get 1Mbps out of it.

blakenhall: Ring Customer Services and get them to arrange a modem for you.

blakenhall
03-12-2007, 23:25
It is technically possible, but you won't even get 1Mbps out of it.

blakenhall: Ring Customer Services and get them to arrange a modem for you.

Many thanks to the members prompt replies - I will ring Customer Services tomorrow morning and will give an update after installation on Fri/Sat.

blakenhall
04-12-2007, 10:41
Advice needed please!

Update -
Rang Virgin Customer Services with the concerns about broadband thro the V+ box, this time I was informed that I probably would need a modem, I was eventually transfered to Nottingham Sales Dept - at last I was able to get someone with the details that I wanted, the guy I spoke to gave me the following info - to me this makes sense.
Due to the speeds and fore-coming speeds the set-top boxes and the ethernet cable will not cope (my cable was at the time the longest they had, running from the front of the house to the back bedroom). Now they install the broadband thro coaxial cable into a modem, no longer thro the set-top box.
This will give a better and more consistent signal.
The V+ box and Modem will now be installed next Tues 11th Dec.

Many thanks to the advice I was given by the forum members and to Nottingham sales Dept, I will update after the insallation.

What would I have done without cable-forum - been without broadband!