PDA

View Full Version : Usenet annoyances

simosimo
28-11-2007, 22:30
I recently subscribed back to usenet, and have been enjoying it. But sometimes if there's something to download, I'll open up an NZB and the files in the que qill just be highlighted red and don't download. Which is really frustrating and happens 20% of the time.

No idea why, but I think it's something to do with 'retention'. If anythings older than 75 days then I can't download it? If so, that sucks.

I never had this problem before (i'm using the same usenet provider and newsleecher setup, unless newzbin has made changes). It's quite annoying, if there's something really unique to download, I can't if it's over 75 days old? That's.........not very good, not very good at all..

TraxData
28-11-2007, 22:33
Most (cheap) providers only provide 70 days retention.

If you want more, then giganews is your best bet with 200 day retention

zing_deleted
28-11-2007, 22:54
I recently subscribed back to usenet, and have been enjoying it. But sometimes if there's something to download, I'll open up an NZB and the files in the que qill just be highlighted red and don't download. Which is really frustrating and happens 20% of the time.

No idea why, but I think it's something to do with 'retention'. If anythings older than 75 days then I can't download it? If so, that sucks.

I never had this problem before (i'm using the same usenet provider and newsleecher setup, unless newzbin has made changes). It's quite annoying, if there's something really unique to download, I can't if it's over 75 days old? That's.........not very good, not very good at all..

Thats what you pay for its easy enough to check post date if your to tight to pay for the best you can hardly complain

homealone
28-11-2007, 23:22

Then get a decent provider, newzbin is just an index, the NZB files it provides are a convenience, not a guarantee the files are available.

In fact the change they have been making is to align with the 200 day retention on Giganews, so if your provider 'only' has 75 days, it is them that 'suck', not the index, or usenet, in general :)

Richy99
29-11-2007, 12:00
depends on who you are using for your access and what their retention is, you dont say who you use so im going to guess its newshosting or some reseller