PDA

View Full Version : Virgin BB XL in PO4 (Portsmouth) Area

deed02392
28-11-2007, 17:38
Hi all, just wondering if anybody in my postcode area PO4 in portsmouth has had any good experience with the XL Broadband package from Virgin? Do you get the advertised speed, or is it slow and unreliable? How about the upload, is it as good as advertised? Thanks in advanced!

nbubba
30-11-2007, 10:26
PO2 here, so close enough.

Used to have the 4MB connection and typically got 2.5MB - 3MB.

"Upgraded" to the XL ...

Typically get about 2.5MB - 3.5MB. :erm:

However, last night was dreadful and several tests showed average speeds of between 0.5MB and 1.3MB.

Reliability is fine; upload speed is typically close to what's advertised but download speed is abysmal for what's advertised. I'd complain but ...

1. I'm cynical that anyone can or will do anything about it.
2. My VIP "upgrade" actually led to a reduction in monthly costs so I'm still technically better off than before. Less money for more-or-less the same service.

deed02392
30-11-2007, 13:49
How did you manage to get it at the same cost? It seems strange that they should allow people to get slower speeds once they are paying for a better service. At least your upload speed is typically close to advertised speed. This is what I'm really after. I would love to change to Be, but I don't think that's available in Portsmouth is it?

nbubba
01-12-2007, 08:38
The cost was based on me initially having signed up years and years ago and carrying across package deals here, there, and everywhere: movies and sports, extra box, low tier BB, then mid tier BB. I was paying about £96 a month - I think - and then the VIP "upgrade" came along and said "change your unbelievably cruddy Pace box (don't press the red button!) for a V+ and ramp your BB from 4MB to 20MB and save £11 a month in the process". Had to do it. Can't really complain as the BB hasn't changed that much - would be nice to be faster of course - and I've been surprised by just how much I use VOD and the V+ recording features.

deed02392
01-12-2007, 18:13
Well I've been with them now since Cable and wireless, so it's been a good 10 years. Do you think there's any chance I should mention how long i've been with them when I telephone for 20Mbps?? What's this VIP upgrade you mention too?

nbubba
03-12-2007, 09:36
The VIP I'm talking about is this package deal:

http://allyours.virginmedia.com/html/bundles/vip.html

Mentioning how long you've been with them won't make the slightest difference; I've been through the Nynex, C&W, NTL, and Virgin brands with them.

frattonstation
03-12-2007, 13:03
I'm in the pompey area as well. With 20meg the best speed I have ever got is 7meg. Usually around 5-6 meg for me.
I complained once to be told that Portsmouth has a "pinch point"(?) cos it is an island which reduces the speed in this area.

Griffin
03-12-2007, 13:18
I'm in the pompey area as well. With 20meg the best speed I have ever got is 7meg. Usually around 5-6 meg for me.
I complained once to be told that Portsmouth has a "pinch point"(?) cos it is an island which reduces the speed in this area.

That sounds more like a lame excuse for covering an iffy network problem on vm's side

deed02392
07-12-2007, 14:33
I expect by pinch point they mean where the island connects to the mainland only by a bridge, they find it difficult to connect us to the rest of the country and thus the internet. And with Portsmouth being so crowded, having all these people routed through a single connection, I suppose I can understand what they mean... as long as you get the full upload speed, I may consider it?

dave6x
07-12-2007, 14:46
I was talking to a colleague who has recently had VM XL BB installed in Gosport. He is delighted, usually getting around 18Mb download and has not seen it drop below 14Mb. He's also an online gamer and gets excellent pings so very pleased about that too! But maybe being the other side of the harbour makes a differnce!

deed02392
07-12-2007, 17:10
lol, I certainly hope not!