PDA

View Full Version : Connection dropping on Download

Janusian
28-11-2007, 12:10
I have an issue with my home cable Internet (a 20MB connection)

It works fine for browsing, but if start to download files, I get constant connection drops.

I can rule out the following

The Computer (I have tried it on several, including different o/s)
The Router (recently upgraded)It happens both with normal downloads and P2P traffic at all times of day.

Sometimes the issue will resolve itself, after a while, sometimes it requires a modem reboot.

I think the fault must be the modem, but there anything else it could be before I take the plunge and try and get some sense from VM customer service!

Raistlin
28-11-2007, 12:21
Have you ruled out the router on the grounds that it's new, or on the grounds that you've tried downloading with the router taken out of the network?

If the latter then it certainly sounds like either an issue with the modem, or something that you're doing in the way that you're downloading (ie. you could be swamping your downloads so much that upstream packets are being lost/inhibited).

Janusian
28-11-2007, 12:27
On the grounds that it is new, and the issue was the same with the old one.

When the connection drops, it drop completely, not just stopping the download, but all browsing traffic as well. It takes between 1-2 minutes to come back, or, as mentioned in some cases a modem reboot.

Raistlin
28-11-2007, 12:30
Sounds very much like a fault with the Modem then.

Be prepared for Virgin to say that they can't see the fault from their end (of course they can't, it won't be broken when you call them), and that they need you to reboot the modem (regardless of how many times you've already done it - probably several times ;)

Janusian
28-11-2007, 12:34
I 'll see if I can kill it before phoning them then.

fayraz
28-11-2007, 20:02
Which modem is it?

Janusian
29-11-2007, 11:52
Killed Connection, Phoned VM customer service, helpful chap from India assessed connection, service engineer coming round THIS AFTERNOON! :shocked:

Thanks for all your help.

Raistlin
29-11-2007, 11:56
Cool, let us know how you get on - good luck :tu:

Janusian
29-11-2007, 12:24
Just been, changed the modem (Guy seemed to think we should have had that done a long time ago!)

Now running along at 2.2MB/s on Utorrent.

Sweet!

brundles
29-11-2007, 12:46
Killed Connection, Phoned VM customer service, helpful chap from India assessed connection, service engineer coming round THIS AFTERNOON! :shocked:

Thanks for all your help.

Now I'm REALLY cheesed off :mad:.

I've been having problems with intermittent connection issues for several weeks now and although I thought they'd fixed it I was sadly mistaken. Yesterday evening after being forced through the script by someone at the call centre who helpful told me (3 times in case I didn't realise) that "if there are not 4 lights on the modem there is a fault" the earliest tech they had was Monday morning :(.

What did you do to get a same day visit?!?!

Janusian
29-11-2007, 12:54
I have absolutely no idea, to be honest I was very surprised. I had my diary open thinking hopefully it will be in a couple of weeks, I think I can fit that in.

I reckon they realised they have messed up with not replacing the modem yonks ago!