PDA

View Full Version : Problems in ST17

Monserrat
27-11-2007, 23:32
Most forums are taking 1+ minute to load up in my browser. Online gaming is unplayable, I keep breaking up on Teamspeak etc. Yes, I've rebooted the NTL:250 modem and PC, still lagging like a bayatch! Anyone else in the area with this problem?

william.nixon47
28-11-2007, 00:38
not sure if st17 is near my post code,st16, but my speeds been up and down like a lady of the nights knickers for the last week, some sites unloadable, particularly secure sites.

cleshe
28-11-2007, 00:45
I don't know where st17 is either. As stated, ST16 is utter chaos, speeds up and down like yoyos.
I'm told much of Stoke is the same.

dd2k
28-11-2007, 01:32
ST16 is around the town center and to the north, st17 is between the town and the uni spanning down to highfields i do believe, so yeh they border each other and will share the same local head end. chances are if one is suffering they both will.
Im not on cable myself but non of my cabled friends around staffs are online so chances are its across the area.

Monserrat
28-11-2007, 08:08
Yes, I'm in Western Downs, just a bit further out than Highfields :-) Thanks for the input everyone. Looks like we're all in the same boat at the moment.

Monserrat
28-11-2007, 22:42
Oki, problem still ongoing. How do I explain to an Indian call centre operative that I'm losing 25% of my packets when pinging? I could say that my net connection runs slow but all they're going to suggest is virii/spyware. No, I am a technician myself. I deal with customers' virii/spyware on a daily basis, so I know how to keep my 'puter clean thank you :-)

Any ideas on how to make this known to VM?

cleshe
28-11-2007, 23:06
A fortnight ago I tried reporting the same problem.India passed me back to the uk. The tech agreed there was a problem, organised an engineer visit.
the engineer never even came in, just told me everybody in this area had the same problem off and on, said he'd get back to me.It's all on here somewhere under poor speeds in Stafford.
I'm still waiting.So far it hasn't improved much, if at all.
Ntl is only on Common Road. Go and ring the bell and talk to someone.I've done so, hasn't made a bit of difference, but don't let it stop you trying.
If you push it a bit you might get a free month!
Best of luck.

Monserrat
30-11-2007, 12:46
Thanks everyone! It got raised as a ticket. It turned out that it was two simultaneous problem. Not only Stafford had it bad this week, but this ticket linked below confirmed problems with online gaming:

http://status-cable.virginmedia.com/vmstatus/serviceissue.do;jsessionid=51EDBA2E4507FABA1D200BD 967CA7CAC.jsps304p:28009?ticket=604389

stewlewis
30-11-2007, 18:18
I was due an engineer visit today, in Newcastle ST5. My connection, speeds have been lousy for a week, after 6pm dropping sometimes to 200k, they've been pretty solid at 1970kbps up until then. During the daytime they are still hitting 1970kbps.

Engineer phoned to say there wasn't really any point in a visit as the problems are due to my UBR, BAGU, being overloaded. But, there have been some new cards installed and it will take a few days for the load to be spread accross the new cards.

I am flagged for a follow up call at the beginning of next week.

I mentioned my Modem signal levels as a concern:
Up = 43.5 dBmv
Down=16.4 dBmv
Down SNR=38.2 dB
He confirmed those as being fine. Only being concerned of the up went higher than 58 dBmv.

Axegrinder
30-11-2007, 18:45
^The downstream level (16.4) looks abit high if you ask me.. should ideally should be near to 0 as possible.

stewlewis
30-11-2007, 18:58
^The downstream level (16.4) looks abit high if you ask me.. should ideally should be near to 0 as possible.

That's why I questioned my levels. He didn't seem fussed. And it was running at near 2meg during today. I've never really had a problem before and never looked at the levels.

Can it be reduced or do they just drop in an inline attenuator?
Does it really matter?
If my SNR is OK, again do the others matter?