PDA

View Full Version : GadgetShow Speedtester is Bull !

Numenor
27-11-2007, 15:08
After watching the gadget shows plight about fair broadband advertisements, I thought Id give it a try.

Im a lucky fellow who gets full 20MB constantly. No problems, no loss of speed etc.

I download files any time of day at full whack, speedtests such at speedtest.net gives me these results;

https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2007/12/16.png

And the Gadget Shows speedtest (which actually uses speedtest.net....)

It gives 5343kbps - RUBBISH. It is a seriously unfair test and if they plan to use this as 'evidence' against ISPs then they do not have a leg to stand on.

southwell
27-11-2007, 15:13
bbmax is the best speed test ive used so far. It's consistently in the ball park of what i expect.

Chrysalis
27-11-2007, 15:14
yeah this has been discussed in various places their own speedtester is clearly overloaded, but even if it wasnt if they are to launch a campaign against isps they would need more than one source of evidence or the isps will just laugh it off sticking together.

ECW_Original
27-11-2007, 15:29
After watching the gadget shows plight about fair broadband advertisements, I thought Id give it a try.

Im a lucky fellow who gets full 20MB constantly. No problems, no loss of speed etc.

I download files any time of day at full whack, speedtests such at speedtest.net gives me these results;

https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2007/12/16.png

And the Gadget Shows speedtest (which actually uses speedtest.net....)

It gives 5343kbps - RUBBISH. It is a seriously unfair test and if they plan to use this as 'evidence' against ISPs then they do not have a leg to stand on.

Er, you are wrong there!

It is a BBMax speedtest NOT speedtest.net!!:)

TimIgoe
27-11-2007, 16:24
speed tests are reliant on the end server being able to deliver, as well as the whole network between the server and the user - try it again a few times at different times of day. (just after a show is not a good idea)

Numenor
27-11-2007, 18:05
Er, you are wrong there!

It is a BBMax speedtest NOT speedtest.net!!:)

Er, you are wrong there....

Download Failed (1) (http://img90.imageshack.us/my.php?image=speedrv7.jpg)

It is speedtest.net NOT BBMax speedtest...........:sniper: :english: :bsmack:

TimIgoe
27-11-2007, 18:09
Notice the "Provided by ookla" graphic at the bottom of the speedtest? - http://www.ookla.com/

they run speedtest.net too - so it is speedtest.net (in a roundabout way)

Tech_Boy
27-11-2007, 19:46
the main thing to remember is that this is from "The Gadget Show", I can never take that program seriously. The presenters are all flaky & far more concerned with style over substance.

r00t
27-11-2007, 20:18
Yep, had ton's of calls and e-mails about slow speed because of this. Maybe those that called in and were shown to have a good speed/connection, should apply for there 25ppm back from the GadgetShow.

zing_deleted
27-11-2007, 20:49
again I will reitterate the only true way to test your speed at any time is use a multi threaded download app and source from a site that allows multi connections and download a good sized file (such sites include microsoft and cnet)

Sirpingalot
27-11-2007, 21:41
It's like this, if you get a bad result on that speedtest and you're on Virgin, it's accurate.

TimIgoe
27-11-2007, 21:42
I have written my views on speed tests and users machines at http://tim.igoe.me.uk/view/36-Broadband_Truth_Campaign_-_The_Gadget_Show.html

r00t
27-11-2007, 21:47
again I will reitterate the only true way to test your speed at any time is use a multi threaded download app and source from a site that allows multi connections and download a good sized file (such sites include microsoft and cnet)

True, true. :tu:
I need to spread more, so I'm told. So you'll have to wait for your rep point mate :)

TimIgoe, good read, thanks!

TimIgoe
27-11-2007, 21:48
Quite alright - having done a lot of computer support for a lot of computer illiterate, I feel that more needs to be done to educate people into computer maintenance - this will help problems all around.

zing_deleted
27-11-2007, 21:50
It's like this, if you get a bad result on that speedtest and you're on Virgin, it's accurate.

Ive seen you be quite obsessive when it comes to speed testing your connection has reality finally dawned??

---------- Post added at 21:50 ---------- Previous post was at 21:49 ----------

Quite alright - having done a lot of computer support for a lot of computer illiterate, I feel that more needs to be done to educate people into computer maintenance - this will help problems all around.
they should all just come here and listen to what they are told ;)

TimIgoe
27-11-2007, 21:51
lol - i know that just wont happen - i can hope ;)

frattonstation
28-11-2007, 08:26
I am supposed to be on 20 meg but only get 1 meg!

janipewter
28-11-2007, 18:30
I am supposed to be on 20 meg but only get 1 meg!

Ahh don't we all!

(Actually I lie, I get 2 :D)

Sirpingalot
28-11-2007, 19:29
Ahh don't we all!

(Actually I lie, I get 2 :D)

I envy you!