PDA

View Full Version : Engineer out, admitted the network was oversubscribed and gave a rough DOF

Sirpingalot
27-11-2007, 12:52
I'm sure you're all aware of the situation with the 20mb broadband in certain areas.

I had an engineer out today, and he admitted that the network was oversuscribed and that he gets 2-3 callouts a day for customers experiencing slow download speeds.

He also said that things would be fixed by february, and despite this being later than I'd hoped, I'm glad to hear SOMETHING is being done.

Acathla
27-11-2007, 13:36
February what year?

TimIgoe
27-11-2007, 16:23
Slwodown exists everywhere - I bet if everyone looked after their PCs, cleaned them, updated them, installed a virus scanner and firewall then the problem would be reduced - the amount of spam / viruses that home machines can send out is crazy.

Anyone remember the SQLSlammer Virus? That even took out JANET's networking (Gigabit networks) - I know, I was stuck with no internet for a few days while firewalls were modified to cope.

Sirpingalot
27-11-2007, 16:33
Do you work for Virgin Media?

TimIgoe
27-11-2007, 16:37
If that is aimed at me - no, I do not work for VM. I only moved to VM last month having been with other ISP's for 8 years :)

Sirpingalot
27-11-2007, 16:39
Well, I know there's NOTHING wrong with my pc, and I experience bad speeds.

TimIgoe
27-11-2007, 16:46
My comments weren't aimed at you personally - but as a whole the internet would be much quicker if everyone looked after their machines.

I know my old router used to log hundreds of attacks per day from virused machines (worldwide), I've not set my new router to log that this time. My webserver suffers the same deluge of rubbish fired at it on a daily basis.

While I'm not saying VM's network is perfect, part of the problem is down to users not caring about their PC equipment, not making sure it is clean and patched up.

Sirpingalot
27-11-2007, 16:49
Well, I'm not sure viruses would affect speeds on such a level like this. After all, were things this bad in the NTL days? Did Viruses not exist then?

Sirius
27-11-2007, 16:53
February what year?:LOL:

---------- Post added at 16:53 ---------- Previous post was at 16:52 ----------

Same here

rick47
27-11-2007, 16:54
I wind up by PC every day, (500 revs clockwise), nearly the same as my radio and torch. My torch and radio work...PC alas can never get top speeds. Windows XP needs 195 revs, Virgin firewall and the rest of the gumph need 184, so i still have some revs left...........'pose i need to get a colour monitor now, or connect to an electricity supply (before a peeps mentions it)!! but after reading your posts...........you have all that and your in the same boat as me................................................ ...........Got to change the keyboard too, my adaptation of 'hit the gofer' machine has it's limitations.

TimIgoe
27-11-2007, 16:56
I think your missing my point - the internet as a whole will suffer from problems if machines are virused / spamming etc.

Yes, you might have exceptionally poor speeds - but, if you on a UBR with a LOT of virused machines, they potentially could be eating up a chunk of the bandwidth.

We've got faster internet since then... more machines are online... more people are using unprotected pcs running the latest windows without updastes - viruses existed, but they themselves have evolved to amke the most of the `conditions' - back then (early DSL / dialup days) they couldn't spam silly cos the connection wouldn't cope - now they go nuts, you give a virus a 100Mb network and it will attempt to use the ENTIRE of it to spread.

Note my comment earlier about the SQL Slammer virus - that was able to use Gigabits/second of networking - bringing the internet as a whole to a grinding halt.

---------- Post added at 16:56 ---------- Previous post was at 16:54 ----------

Look, I'm not having a dig at any of you personally - what I'm trying to get across is, while VM may have overloading issues... not all of it is relating to 'too many users and not enough pipe', some of it relates to what goes on on a users PC that the user doesn't necessarily know about.

xspeedyx
27-11-2007, 17:00
u would be suprised how long virus have been going ever since the first windows was release a hacking was there ready to destory.

Virus can cause damage in anyway they are progammed as they can flood ur connection even a badly config'd router can flood ur connection

Timigoe I agree with u virus scanners and firewalls can be purchased free of charge now

TimIgoe
27-11-2007, 17:08
remove purchased - add downloaded ;)

www.zonealarm.com - firewall (free)
www.avast.com - free virus scanner (for home users)
http://www.safer-networking.org/ - Spy Bot Search and Destroy (spyware / adware remover)

---------- Post added at 17:08 ---------- Previous post was at 17:07 ----------

Safe Internet use - with a little bit of education users can help the internet as a whole :)

Keloran
27-11-2007, 17:09
when i last had an engineer out he said that the upgrade UK3 (what VM is calling it) is set to happen about march, so if its been pushed upto feb i cant wait, casue the old pace box's are getting phased out with it, becasue they wont be able to handle the new features that are coming with the UK3 rollout

Sirpingalot
27-11-2007, 17:12
u would be suprised how long virus have been going ever since the first windows was release a hacking was there ready to destory.

Virus can cause damage in anyway they are progammed as they can flood ur connection even a badly config'd router can flood ur connection

Timigoe I agree with u virus scanners and firewalls can be purchased free of charge now

And to be honest, most people DO use them. There are other providers out there that manage it perfectly, such as Zen, and Be, so why can't Virgin?

Personally, I think you're all looking for excuses. The situation IS a shambles. And pretty much ONLY since Virgin took over. Either this is a massive coincidence, or I'm right.

TimIgoe
27-11-2007, 17:32
I'm not saying there isn't an element of the ISP at fault here - Zen suffers from virus problems (we used to be with them)

Be, they filter outbound SMTP - you can't use your own mail server to send from, this reduces the spam / virus problem too. They proactively filter traffic to reduce the effect of viruses / spam. Maybe VM should concider that as an option, but personally, I like being able to use my own mail server for sending mail from.

---------- Post added at 17:32 ---------- Previous post was at 17:29 ----------

WRT to virus scanners / firewalls, yes, people have them... do people know how to use firewalls?

"its asking me to do something... what do I do? I clicked yes, it worked...."

I do a lot of support for various computer users around and about - and you'd be surprised at the number that don't know what a virus scanner is, let alone have one installed. Some have them installed, but not updating either.

TrevorHannant
27-11-2007, 18:21
I can see Tim's point here.

Earlier this year someone I knew asked me to look at their PC as it was 'going slow' on the internet despite having broadband. What I found horrified me!

His kids (late teenage girls) had been clicking all those ads that say "optimise your memory"/"your system clock is wrong" etc. and installing all these completely unnecessary pieces of software. Surf to 4 pages and the net just crashed on that machine.

6 hours later, and I finally had a pc that was running slightly faster than dial up. Took a while to get rid of the rest of the crap and get his speeds back up.

Yes VM DO have problems but for every user who keeps their PC/Mac/Laptop in good condition, there's dozens who either don't care or don't have a clue.

TimIgoe
27-11-2007, 18:53
exactly :)

Toto
27-11-2007, 19:23
And much more, many slow downs can be attributed to some sort of malware on the system, but not all slow speeds can be counted off that easily.

As I have said in the past, before moaning about your ISP, check your machine thoroughly first.

Add to Tims list a decent Trojan Detection program, there isn't a top class free one out there, but this bad boy (http://trojanhunter.com) comes pretty cheap and is one of the best out there.

Sirpingalot
27-11-2007, 21:35
Ok, I'm all protected, my system is clean, and I STILL have slow internet. What do I do now? Blame Virgin Media, obviously.

See what I mean?

I have no issues getting FULL speed very early in the morning, so the only thing that can be wrong is Virgin Media.

TimIgoe
27-11-2007, 21:42
And again - you've missed my point... the whole 'clean pc' thing wasn't just aimed at you... but say your on a 'busy' UBR and even 1/4 of those user have infected PCs spamming away quite happily, there is a large chunk of the available bandwidth gone, add another 1/4 of 'high usage' users plus 1/2 regular users... things get congested.

I'm not saying Virgin has no blame at all, what i'm saying, is there is potentially a lot more to the problem than just 'virgin needs to upgrade / fix X,Y,Z'

sav112
27-11-2007, 21:50
so lets start a clean your pc campaign.......get the crap off the machines...!

TimIgoe
27-11-2007, 21:51
lol :p

little extreme

Sirpingalot
27-11-2007, 21:57
And again - you've missed my point... the whole 'clean pc' thing wasn't just aimed at you... but say your on a 'busy' UBR and even 1/4 of those user have infected PCs spamming away quite happily, there is a large chunk of the available bandwidth gone, add another 1/4 of 'high usage' users plus 1/2 regular users... things get congested.

I'm not saying Virgin has no blame at all, what i'm saying, is there is potentially a lot more to the problem than just 'virgin needs to upgrade / fix X,Y,Z'

And if the infrastructure was built to cope with everyone using their internet connection at full speed all the time (like it should be) then there wouldn't be any issue..

I understand that what you say wasn't directly at me, but I have followed Toto's advice so I think I have the right to get pretty upset with Virgin after getting just 1/40th of the connection speed I should be.

sollp
27-11-2007, 21:59
TimIgoe, i totally agree with what your saying and also agree that this isn't the sole problem that cause's the internet or your service to be slow.
Unfortunately you'll argue until the cows come home, as some people will not see it from any other way and won't want to listen to what your saying. They know the problem and that's it.

TimIgoe
27-11-2007, 22:02
No ISP can afford to build an infrastructure where users aren't sharing some bandwidth somewhere down the line. Virgin don't quote any contention figures, but going from standard DSL ones, any user can be sharing 'their pipe' with up to 50 at once (a contention ratio of 50:1)

This is based on the assumption that not all users will be online together, and those that are on together won't all be downloading together. During peak times, obviously users will end up contending the available bandwidth.

Yes, getting that bad is not good and you should moan. (Assuming you have checked everything at your end... running without the router, checking pc, checking cables are firmly in etc)

---------- Post added at 22:02 ---------- Previous post was at 22:01 ----------

TimIgoe, i totally agree with what your saying and also agree that this isn't the sole problem that cause's the internet or your service to be slow.
Unfortunately you'll argue until the cows come home, as some people will not see it from any other way and won't want to listen to what your saying. They know the problem and that's it.

I know I can argue till i'm blue in the face - which i'm not planning on :) I'm not denying Virgin may have serious problems in some areas, these should be taken up with VM.

Sirpingalot
27-11-2007, 22:07

The problem is though, if other internet providers CAN manage it, why can't Virgin Media? Nothing undermines that statement. Absolutely nothing. Because you see, ISP's such as Zen incorporate those extra features into their network to ensure this sort of thing wouldn't happen.

Anyway, it's well known that Virgin's networks are oversubscribed. Virgin need to put more money into the infrastructure. And they certainly have enough of that now.

---------- Post added at 22:07 ---------- Previous post was at 22:03 ----------

Do you really understand the situation with Virgin though, considering you're not with them?

zing_deleted
27-11-2007, 22:18
Yes VM is over subscribed in some areas. Be internet and Zen is subject to contention the same though also its subjected to line problems you are viery nieve if your starting the think the adsl grass is greener . If you really think that then ship out.

As for clean pcs maybe yours is working fine but others on your ubr might not be they swtich on and if a few have mail bots or other nasties then they could effect your connection also

TimIgoe
27-11-2007, 22:20
"up to 8Mb" vs 20Mb - no contest :)

I came from ADSL, dont' want to go back now :)

Sirpingalot
27-11-2007, 22:21
As for clean pcs maybe yours is working fine but others on your ubr might not be they swtich on and if a few have mail bots or other nasties then they could effect your connection also

I understand that, but that wasn't what Toto implied.

---------- Post added at 22:21 ---------- Previous post was at 22:20 ----------

"up to 8Mb" vs 20Mb - no contest :)

I came from ADSL, dont' want to go back now :)

Do you have a solid connection now?

TimIgoe
27-11-2007, 22:22
much more so than with ADSL

the ADSL Max connection I was on, was the 'up to 8Mb' that would range anywhere from the full 8Mb down to half meg. I'm less than a mile from the exchange too.

Now, I've got 20Mb flat out, very little variation. Was a bit slow on sun, but I put that down to maintenance or something (as there were a few dns problems at the same time) - this happens anywhere tho :)

Sirpingalot
27-11-2007, 22:27
much more so than with ADSL

the ADSL Max connection I was on, was the 'up to 8Mb' that would range anywhere from the full 8Mb down to half meg. I'm less than a mile from the exchange too.

Now, I've got 20Mb flat out, very little variation. Was a bit slow on sun, but I put that down to maintenance or something (as there were a few dns problems at the same time) - this happens anywhere tho :)

That's good for you. But you can't therefore, understand it from the perspective of somebody that ISN'T recieving a satisfactory figure. Why should we get any less bandwidth than somebody on the same tier of service, regardless of wether it's because of some local fools who download too many illegal files and have Virused up PC's, or because Virgin's infrastructure simply can't cope because they've signed too many people up?

Gary L
27-11-2007, 22:29
Slwodown exists everywhere - I bet if everyone looked after their PCs, cleaned them, updated them, installed a virus scanner and firewall then the problem would be reduced - the amount of spam / viruses that home machines can send out is crazy.

Anyone remember the SQLSlammer Virus? That even took out JANET's networking (Gigabit networks) - I know, I was stuck with no internet for a few days while firewalls were modified to cope.

What has this got to do with this thread? :confused:

TimIgoe
27-11-2007, 22:31
DSL works the same - your on a busy exchange, you suffer a lot more during peak - i know... i used to be on one of those busy exchanges. Been there with bad ISPs, I do know what its like.

I'm not saying in any way virgin are not to blame :) they more than likely are a large part of the problem

Now, same principle applies for my servers - they don't have 100Mb unlimited uncontended internet - it just costs far too much. I have to share my bandwidth with others, I've got a quota, I've got limits. Its the same in effect here, more than likely parts of the network need 'work', perhaps VM are patching it until they roll out DOCSIS3 (which has been mentioned elsewhere on these forums as happening 'early in the new year') as this will no doubt involve new hardware, so theres little point adding new hardware only to change it in a few months.

zing_deleted
27-11-2007, 22:32
you have the choice to leave or drop your speed and pay less . As ive said im lucky the poor chavs on this council estate(some other members view on council estates not mine) obviously can not afford 20 meg or computers possibly which is good for me as sa far no bad contention issues. You could mrping do the others a favour and remove yourself from the contention ring and let the local fools have your bandwidth while you then cry cuz you have a noisy line

VM should just turn customers away and not add to the problem that would be better

Sirpingalot
27-11-2007, 22:41
you have the choice to leave or drop your speed and pay less . As ive said im lucky the poor chavs on this council estate(some other members view on council estates not mine) obviously can not afford 20 meg or computers possibly which is good for me as sa far no bad contention issues. You could mrping do the others a favour and remove yourself from the contention ring and let the local fools have your bandwidth while you then cry cuz you have a noisy line

I'm talking on behalf of EVERYONE here Zingle, not just myself. Considering people that go to forums generally go there to complain, you aren't giving my comments the best reception by assuming what I say is necessarily with regard to ONLY myself, when clearly, it isn't.

---------- Post added at 22:41 ---------- Previous post was at 22:37 ----------

Anyway, back to the point. Is it not reasonable to expect what you pay for? I was promised SUPERFAST broadband speeds. I should expect them. And I wouldn't exactly call sub 1Mb SUPERFAST, would you? Just because the issue does not necessarily concern you doesn't mean you have to turn your back..

Gary L
27-11-2007, 22:47
Its the same in effect here, more than likely parts of the network need 'work', perhaps VM are patching it until they roll out DOCSIS3 (which has been mentioned elsewhere on these forums as happening 'early in the new year') as this will no doubt involve new hardware, so theres little point adding new hardware only to change it in a few months.

But in the meantime they are still selling the *old* hardware to new customers by telling them they can have super fast speeds when they know they can't honour that promise due to putting too many people on to the same connection. this has been going on for months now and will still be going on for many months.

They are knowingly selling a product that is not fit for purpose.

Sirpingalot
27-11-2007, 22:59
But in the meantime they are still selling the *old* hardware to new customers by telling them they can have super fast speeds when they know they can't honour that promise due to putting too many people on to the same connection. this has been going on for months now and will still be going on for many months.

Absolutely, and that is bottom line. I'm sure there's a breach of the trading standard acts there somewhere?

sollp
27-11-2007, 23:05

So everyone has assumed, because of a few, that VM is completely oversubscribed.

A service Tech who comes to the house isn't going to know the state of the whole network, he might know that a particular Card on a UBR is nearing an upgrade or some parts within the network he works in might need upgrades, but he can't comment on the whole of the VM Core or Access network. So you can't base the VM core or access network on what individuals think is the problem or not.

slowcoach
27-11-2007, 23:08
After the outage earlier today the speeds this evening are a big improvement, here at least.
Previously speeds in the evening have been pathetic, tonight it's been at 17 – 19Meg.
This is the best it's been since they introduced the 20Meg service.
Maybe they replaced whatever broke with something more up-to-date, whatever, it appears to have done the job.

Gary L
27-11-2007, 23:13
Absolutely, and that is bottom line. I'm sure there's a breach of the trading standard acts there somewhere?

There's a *breach* of something somewhere, and it's only a matter of time before it slaps them in the face. there's evidence available now to back up the complaints made to the slappers :)

---------- Post added at 23:13 ---------- Previous post was at 23:09 ----------

So everyone has assumed, because of a few, that VM is completely oversubscribed.

Only oversubscribed in certain areas. I don't know where you got the word completely from.

Berealwith
27-11-2007, 23:22
Ah yes i see tims point............heres what i do for my speed tests. I have a icy-dock with a small 10gig drive. I see my speeds are slow on the bigger HDD with vista on, i shut down turn on the icy dock 10gig hdd re-boot (set in bios to boot icy dock first) then boot to the SPEED TEST drive there is nothing on it but XP with all updates on it, i then run tests and hey presto, its the same speed as my other drive, i then ring CS, Tech and go through the same B/S as i have many times. not many do that do they !!!!! the one thing i believe in is if i have to ring i will always be in the right....

slowcoach
27-11-2007, 23:27
And so it goes on.... Yippee
Tue, 27 Nov 2007 23:24:42 GMT

Test 1: 1024K took 441 ms = 2322 KB/sec, approx 19133 Kbps, 18.68 Mbps
Test 2: 1024K took 438 ms = 2337.9 KB/sec, approx 19264 Kbps, 18.81 Mbps
Test 3: 1024K took 423 ms = 2420.8 KB/sec, approx 19947 Kbps, 19.48 Mbps
Test 4: 2048K took 1124 ms = 1822.1 KB/sec, approx 15014 Kbps, 14.66 Mbps

Overall Average Speed = approx 18340 Kbps, 17.91 Mbps

Gary L
27-11-2007, 23:33
And so it goes on.... Yippee

It's Tuesday, it's BINGO night.

Agent47
27-11-2007, 23:37
Feb 2029 by then Skynet will be running VM networks.

TraxData
28-11-2007, 02:28

A service Tech who comes to the house isn't going to know the state of the whole network, he might know that a particular Card on a UBR is nearing an upgrade or some parts within the network he works in might need upgrades, but he can't comment on the whole of the VM Core or Access network. So you can't base the VM core or access network on what individuals think is the problem or not.

Alot of VM is oversubscribed, but the main problem was cloned modem, that problem got so big it was just unbelievable, and then you get guys who had 5-6 cloned modems running at once using ALL the bandwith on that ubr.

Most issues now is mostly down to older hardware underperforming rather than network congestion, par from certain areas which have been oversubscribed for well near 2 years now.

xspeedyx
28-11-2007, 08:40
which netowrk is the worst ex telewest or ex ntl?

TimIgoe
28-11-2007, 09:15
Probably different areas of both.

Keloran
28-11-2007, 09:24
i remember when i was with NTL, early 2000, the speeds were supposidlly 512k, i was getting no where near that, except at very early hours of the day, then moved to ADSL and was getting my full speeds,

then with ADSL it started to slow down again cause more people in my area were moving onto it

now back with cable and speeds of 20mb (almost constant) because the majority in my area are on ADSL instead of cable

the only problem i have with cable now is im on a pace box, i swear its teh same pace box i had when i was on NTL in 2000, and here in 2007 on VM its again a pace box, now that kinda shows how old some of hte hardware they are pushing out to customers is

sollp
28-11-2007, 11:05
Alot of VM is oversubscribed, but the main problem was cloned modem, that problem got so big it was just unbelievable, and then you get guys who had 5-6 cloned modems running at once using ALL the bandwith on that ubr.

Most issues now is mostly down to older hardware underperforming rather than network congestion, par from certain areas which have been oversubscribed for well near 2 years now.

Again where are the facts on this, like any network the ISP will have certain criteria as to when to upgrade certain parts of a network. So yes parts of the VM will be nearing this criteria and will be upgraded as and when. Sometimes it needs to be done quicker!!

Cloned modems are a problem but to what extent they cause an issue, who know's where only guessing.

TimIgoe
28-11-2007, 11:15
I'd assume the 'problem' with clones `doesn't exist' (from a users point of view - else why would there be a point in paying for the service) but they'll know about it internally and how bad it is.

Perhaps network wide upgrades will fix the issues with cloners / over subscriptions etc. When these will happen, who knows :)

r00t
28-11-2007, 11:20
Amazing, 4 pages of mostly speculation.
@ the OP, do you still have the PM from me?
It shows the utilization of your uBR. From memory your uBR wasn't/ isn't over subscribed.

Gary L
28-11-2007, 11:23
Again where are the facts on this, like any network the ISP will have certain criteria as to when to upgrade certain parts of a network. So yes parts of the VM will be nearing this criteria and will be upgraded as and when. Sometimes it needs to be done quicker!!.

Some dates given for the needed upgrades are being pushed back further and further all the time. I don't find it acceptable for a date given of June this year now giving a date of April next year

By giving these dates they have confirmed that the work is needed, but in that year they are still putting more customers on to that connection. it's mad!

Cloned modems are a problem but to what extent they cause an issue, who know's where only guessing.

To the extent of that they are constantly downloading at full speed 24/7, in most cases many at a time.

sollp
28-11-2007, 11:46
Some dates given for the needed upgrades are being pushed back further and further all the time. I don't find it acceptable for a date given of June this year now giving a date of April next year

By giving these dates they have confirmed that the work is needed, but in that year they are still putting more customers on to that connection. it's mad!

Yes dates have been put back, but they are also putting more effort in next year for upgrades,(well proof is in the pud..).

To the extent of that they are constantly downloading at full speed 24/7, in most cases many at a time.

Yes that what cloners do, but to what extent this is a problem is unknown we can only speculate on most of the issues which is basically my point in most of my post's, there is a snowball effect of speculation until it becomes fact.
We are not entirely wrong in what we say, it's just the speculation as to how big the problem is. there could be many factors as to why someone is getting a poor service.

Hugh
28-11-2007, 15:27
Yes that what cloners do, but to what extent this is a problem is unknown we can only speculate on most of the issues which is basically my point in most of my post's, there is a snowball effect of speculation until it becomes fact.
We are not entirely wrong in what we say, it's just the speculation as to how big the problem is. there could be many factors as to why someone is getting a poor service.

Just trying to clarify your meaning - are you saying if something is repeated enough, no matter if based in truth or not, it becomes true?

I was taught that speculation was "a hypothesis that has been formed by conjecturing, usually with little hard evidence".

Mutters to himself over and over "you are handsome, rich and attractive, you are handsome, rich and attractive.............." :D

TraxData
28-11-2007, 16:16
Again where are the facts on this, like any network the ISP will have certain criteria as to when to upgrade certain parts of a network. So yes parts of the VM will be nearing this criteria and will be upgraded as and when. Sometimes it needs to be done quicker!!

Facts? i used to work for VM, and still know plenty of people high up in the networking area there, and i also do work for them from time to time when they are shorthanded.

I've seen the network stats, hardware stats, i know the problem mainly lies in old hardware that needs replacing and cloned modems, just today we had to go disconnect someone who had 12, yes 12 cloned modems running, uploading 24/7 (literally) and taking over 70% ubr bandwith.

Unless you've worked and experienced this you wont understand i guess.

TimIgoe
28-11-2007, 16:27
Thats somewhat worrying, and no wonder certain areas are struggling.

I guess a move to DOCSIS3 will help remove the problem of cloning? (I don't know the technical ins and outs of a) how cloning is done - not massively interested b) how DOCSIS or the infrastructure works )

TraxData
28-11-2007, 16:37
Thats somewhat worrying, and no wonder certain areas are struggling.

I guess a move to DOCSIS3 will help remove the problem of cloning? (I don't know the technical ins and outs of a) how cloning is done - not massively interested b) how DOCSIS or the infrastructure works )

They have been stopping cloned modems just lately, problem is if you go and disconnect them, they'll slip a tech say £20 and he'll wire them back up.

Alot of corrupt techs in VM =/

I've even seen some techs re-installing the cards to hook them back up!

Docsis3 will put a stop to cloners though, especially with the new key encrytion and dynamic configs! :)

TimIgoe
28-11-2007, 18:24
Cool, its certainly interesting to find out how it all works :)

I guess its not easy for VM to see who's corrupt and get the proof needed for a dismissal.

Sirpingalot
28-11-2007, 19:21
Amazing, 4 pages of mostly speculation.
@ the OP, do you still have the PM from me?
It shows the utilization of your uBR. From memory your uBR wasn't/ isn't over subscribed.

The were no problems in Liverpool. I then moved location and I'm now on the baguley network where things are abysmal.

Gary L
28-11-2007, 19:34
The were no problems in Liverpool. I then moved location and I'm now on the baguley network where things are abysmal.

How long has it been since you moved to Baguley?

Sirpingalot
28-11-2007, 19:38
How long has it been since you moved to Baguley?

A week, maybe two?

sollp
28-11-2007, 22:01
Facts? i used to work for VM, and still know plenty of people high up in the networking area there, and i also do work for them from time to time when they are shorthanded.

I've seen the network stats, hardware stats, i know the problem mainly lies in old hardware that needs replacing and cloned modems, just today we had to go disconnect someone who had 12, yes 12 cloned modems running, uploading 24/7 (literally) and taking over 70% ubr bandwith.

Unless you've worked and experienced this you wont understand i guess.

Yes i have the facts as well, one cloner with 12 modems isn't the norm and yes it's going to cause issues if that was the case.

---------- Post added at 22:01 ---------- Previous post was at 22:01 ----------

Just trying to clarify your meaning - are you saying if something is repeated enough, no matter if based in truth or not, it becomes true?

I was taught that speculation was "a hypothesis that has been formed by conjecturing, usually with little hard evidence".

Mutters to himself over and over "you are handsome, rich and attractive, you are handsome, rich and attractive.............." :D
Well whatever hypothesis you was taught, speculation rumour hearsay all seem to become true at some point when concerning this site.

TraxData
28-11-2007, 22:03
Yes i have the facts as well, one cloner with 12 modems isn't the norm and yes it's going to cause issues if that was the case.

---------- Post added at 22:01 ---------- Previous post was at 22:01 ----------

1 cloner with 3-4 modems has become the normal these days.

It has become a major and i mean major problem which really needed sorting out.

sollp
28-11-2007, 22:06
1 cloner with 3-4 modems has become the normal these days.

It has become a major and i mean major problem which really needed sorting out.

Well this is the problem, yes they are out there, but to what extent you, i , don't really know.