PDA

View Full Version : Broadband down in Manchester again?

scrotnig
27-11-2007, 00:52
Yet again, my already lousy "20mb" ntl connection that struggles to even be 1mb, has gone off altogether, and I once again find myself paying to dial up to the internet on a per-minute basis, despite paying an extortionate fortune for a supposed "always on" connection.

Anyone got any idea what's gone wrong THIS time?

I really do need to find a new provider. This service has gone from being first class for many years to being absolutely appalling.

fatcat8
27-11-2007, 01:02
Yep, it's totally gone down........no idea why though.
Luckily I have my Pipex connection to back me up.............something I regularly need being a Virgin subscriber.

scrotnig
27-11-2007, 01:07
Yep, it's totally gone down........no idea why though.
Luckily I have my Pipex connection to back me up.............something I regularly need being a Virgin subscriber.
LOL I'd ditch Pipex quickly as well, you will be moved onto the appalling Tiscali network early next year, and all the staff are being sacked and the jobs moved to India.

What you will have is a connection from the second-worst ISP in the country (Virgin) backed up by one from THE worst ISP in the country (Tiscali).

Though who you DO go with I have no idea. I cannot think of one I would recommend now.

Aye Up
27-11-2007, 01:14
I am guessing peeps suffering from this are in the M14 area?

As mine has just gone down as well, and low and behold there's no ticket on the virgin media status page!

fatcat8
27-11-2007, 01:16
Trust me, I already thought of that one coming, but yes, no idea who to change to with the back-up connection. At least at the moment Pipex are reliable.........still has some speed issues, but not in the same league as Virgin! Yep, sub 1meg on 20meg is the pits.
Don't know about you, but I'm getting really tranced out with the flashing 'ready' light on my modem.

scrotnig
27-11-2007, 01:16
Not M14 but not far from there so probably on the same platform.

Of course there's no ticket...there never is. This company is the epitome of shoddiness, and it's such a shame as they used to be so good.

I am tempted by See Speak Surf on Sky. It cannot be any worse than the utter trash service I now get from Virgin.

fatcat8
27-11-2007, 01:17
I am guessing peeps suffering from this are in the M14 area?

As mine has just gone down as well, and low and behold there's no ticket on the virgin media status page!

I'm in M21 which ain't that far from you.

scrotnig
27-11-2007, 01:18
Trust me, I already thought of that one coming, but yes, no idea who to change to with the back-up connection. At least at the moment Pipex are reliable.........still has some speed issues, but not in the same league as Virgin! Yep, sub 1meg on 20meg is the pits.
Don't know about you, but I'm getting really tranced out with the flashing 'ready' light on my modem.
Yes that's happening to me too, it's flashing rapidly, though it occasionally reboots.

Regards Pipex, really, truly, take it from one who knows, get your MAC and get out while you still can. Literally within weeks it will all be India and your chances of obtaining a MAC from them will be below zero. You really really must leave before it's too late.

CrossyX
27-11-2007, 01:18
Its down in Warrington aswell, luckly i have had my new isp sorted a few days back...

fatcat8
27-11-2007, 01:24
Yes that's happening to me too, it's flashing rapidly, though it occasionally reboots.

Regards Pipex, really, truly, take it from one who knows, get your MAC and get out while you still can. Literally within weeks it will all be India and your chances of obtaining a MAC from them will be below zero. You really really must leave before it's too late.

The real depressing thing is that I upped my Pipex to the 'up to 8meg' about 6 months ago and I'm sure they tied me up for another 12.

Oh well, might as well get used to 2 s**t connections then.......

Aye Up
27-11-2007, 01:36
I'm in M21 which ain't that far from you.

Just checked the status line and Warrington and Altrincham are out as well?

Are they on the same platform or UBR?

Florence
27-11-2007, 01:37
Seems there are more than just loss of BB here my modem died came back I now have a steady light on sync with flsing ready light steady light for power with seldom flash for ethernet. if i do ipconfig all i get a 192.168 ip number. MSN say there is a problem with DNS and ports. M43 post code area when I called the status line they only mentioned M6 on the websites status says no known issues..

Edited to add I can ping my router and modem but nothing after the modem..... :(

fatcat8
27-11-2007, 01:45
Just checked the status line and Warrington and Altrincham are out as well?

Are they on the same platform or UBR?

To be honest.........don't know.

garybuk
27-11-2007, 01:51
I'm in Dukinfield and it's down here too, using my O2 8mbps ADSL connection as a backup at the moment. Really annoyed now. Help lines are closed too.

Edit:
Oooh i was 1/2 way through a call on my vonage voip line when it went too, how annoying!

fairlylarge
27-11-2007, 01:57
Down in Wirral as well, the return path light is flashing and no broadband.

Florence
27-11-2007, 02:13
starting to look like i need a BT line and paying the £140 for one to be fitted is looking more likely to happen.

Just got of the line for Tech support and he asked the normal questins but then started on about age was I over 18 and had the account holders permission to use the premium rate lline.........:mad::mad::mad::mad:

phone cost went over £1 and hadnt even told him what the problem was for all the questions......Think he realised i was getting annoyed and with the stupid questions about my age etc and has said he would refund the cost of the call.....

If they can't get a decent speed stable conection then I am off the speeds mean nothing if the network is at breaking point and in need of some staff to monitor it properly catching problems before they breakdown.

CrossyX
27-11-2007, 02:27
starting to look like i need a BT line and paying the £140 for one to be fitted is looking more likely to happen.

Just got of the line for Tech support and he asked the normal questins but then started on about age was I over 18 and had the account holders permission to use the premium rate lline.........:mad::mad::mad::mad:

phone cost went over £1 and hadnt even told him what the problem was for all the questions......Think he realised i was getting annoyed and with the stupid questions about my age etc and has said he would refund the cost of the call.....

If they can't get a decent speed stable conection then I am off the speeds mean nothing if the network is at breaking point and in need of some staff to monitor it properly catching problems before they breakdown.

Mate just pay BT i bit the buller a couple of weeks ago, the setup fee of £125 was putting me off but the consitant drop in speeds to under 1mb was hacking me off, i got a BT line installed and got a new ISP altough its only over 7mb (im 3km from the exchange) i am getting 1.3mb upload and it has been stable, the new isp has great customer service, the longest i have waited is around 10 mins tops (free phone) the other times i rang (i was ringing to ask them to change some settings, nothing broken lol) teh call from start to finsih was less than 5 mins. Virgin are a complete joke and if i had been with them still i could not have finished my work off tonight.....

Aye Up
27-11-2007, 04:10
Working now it seems, and rather nippy as well.....

ThinkHarder
27-11-2007, 05:15
Down here in Stockport sk3 :-( im posting this from my mobile using opera, god its slow!

jigman
27-11-2007, 08:26
Its still down for me in m33 anybody else?

Florence
27-11-2007, 09:36
Back up now in M43 area but have to say the wastyed time tech support asking silly questions. After i had given my name as Mrs he then asked for me to confirm I wa sover 18 and had permission to use the premium rate line....:mad::mad::mad::mad: Was only using it as that is all Vigin offer for tech support.. So if I am married younger than 18 and paying the bill I am not allowed support... The questions wasted a good 3 mins @25p a min...

joglynne
27-11-2007, 09:38
M41 seems to be up and running again and this is showing on the service status page.

Ticket Number 602473
Time Stamp 2007-11-27 04:58:15.0
Priority CSO
Status Opened
Department Outage Surveillence Team
Estimated Time Fix 08:00
Customers Affected Broadband Internet
Raised By Ralph Taylor
Detailed Description
Customers in Greater Manchester and the surrounding areas of the North West of England may be experiencing a loss of Virgin Internet services.

Our engineers are aware of this issue and are working to restore service as soon as possible.

http://status-cable.virginmedia.com/vmstatus/serviceissue.do;jsessionid=E53DF0658EBA9EB96DA9C68 91954040A.jsps304p:28009?ticket=602473

Rone
27-11-2007, 09:41
M33 back up too, it fell over last night while i was using it [does'nt it always].

Keloran
27-11-2007, 09:46
mine fell down at 12pm (ruffly) last night, and by the time i set off for work it still wasnt up, which seriouslly cut into my downloading time

johnlfitz
27-11-2007, 09:47
Yep, down for me (in Oldham) since midnight.

Phoned so called 'broadband support' at 25p per minute. Confirmed that there was an outage. He said that it would be fixed within the hour (this was 7.30am). Still down.

Moved over to Oldham 7 weeks ago. This was my 5th call at my cost to tell them / ask them about broadband outages. I'm paying £37 a month for 20Mbit broadband (no wait - it's actually running at 4Mb).:mad:

Been with Cable & Wireless / NTL / Virgin Media for nearly 10 years ... patience running really thin now

city-boy
27-11-2007, 09:56
Still down in Manchester City Center at 9:30 this morning.

joglynne
27-11-2007, 10:03
It's 10am and for those of you not posting from home or on another connection the Ticket number 602473 is still open and work appears to be ongoing in some areas still.

slowcoach
27-11-2007, 10:07
OL8 back up again, running at full teat, let's see if it can keep it up tonight, fat chance.

garybuk
27-11-2007, 10:23
SK16 on Ashton's UBR all working now

iadom
27-11-2007, 11:21
Off here in Shaw OL2 area, 'Ready' light flashing away. Using my ten year old Zen dial up account, rock solid reliabilty. TBH my BB has never given me to much aggro but dial up is painful after 20Meg BB.:(

Jim.

Foo Fighter
27-11-2007, 11:26
Just back up now in Blackburn been dead since 12:30ish last night :(

Rang customer service who had no clue what was going on. Virgin are useless

Ronsommer
27-11-2007, 11:59
Still down in Manchester city centre (M15, just across the road from M1) as of 11:57 AM, went down around 0:45 AM last night...

Here's hoping speeds will be better when it's back up??

fragless
27-11-2007, 12:17
Just back up now in Blackburn been dead since 12:30ish last night :(

Rang customer service who had no clue what was going on. Virgin are useless

Same here, this is the 3rd time in 4 weeks, that I have experienced long outage during the night.

Upto 20mb (getting 13mb) speeds and regular downtime, will be ringing BT later today.

Ronsommer
27-11-2007, 12:23
fragless count yourself lucky getting 13mb.

I actually saw 2000kb/sec and above just after my 10mbit was upgraded to 20mbit, but recently I've been seeing as little as 3mbit in the evenings from the http://homepage.ntlworld.com/testyourspeed/ page and this matches the FTP download speeds I've been seeing.

In recent days (before it died last night) I've occasionally seen peaks of 10mbit again but nowhere near 20mbit (and this is from fast UK sources, the bottleneck is definitely not at the server end)

scrotnig
27-11-2007, 12:29
fragless count yourself lucky getting 13mb.

I actually saw 2000kb/sec and above just after my 10mbit was upgraded to 20mbit, but recently I've been seeing as little as 3mbit in the evenings from the http://homepage.ntlworld.com/testyourspeed/ page and this matches the FTP download speeds I've been seeing.

In recent days (before it died last night) I've occasionally seen peaks of 10mbit again but nowhere near 20mbit (and this is from fast UK sources, the bottleneck is definitely not at the server end)

Ronsommer count yourself lucky getting 3mb!

Mine usually tests at less than 1mb, and last night before it went down it was 30k which is less than a 56k dialup.

I am at work now so I have no idea if my service has returned or not. I no longer particularly care, it is now next to useless.

garybuk
27-11-2007, 12:51
What really annoys me at these things running this company,
It has gone down at the one time we are not speed restricted, now it's working it'll be restricted during the day, so i have missed using my broadband at it's advertised speed.

dev
27-11-2007, 13:53
What really annoys me at these things running this company,
It has gone down at the one time we are not speed restricted, now it's working it'll be restricted during the day, so i have missed using my broadband at it's advertised speed.

i'm sure vm made it go down on purpose :rolleyes:

went out here at 12.45am till 6.22am (accordin to modem), when it went out TV dropped off too but came back soon after then couple hours later the STB synced up but OD didnt work and it didnt get a QOS filename, modem sync'd but never got 'rdy'. so i guess either major upgrades or one hell of a failure. either way, at least it was being fixed while all of us were sleeping.

would be nice if a VM insider or someone with contacts inside VM could shed some light on it seeing as it was a large area that seems to have been affected.

Ronsommer
27-11-2007, 14:02
Still down at 2 PM in Manchester city centre :mad:

garybuk
27-11-2007, 14:25

went out here at 12.45am till 6.22am (accordin to modem), when it went out TV dropped off too but came back soon after then couple hours later the STB synced up but OD didnt work and it didnt get a QOS filename, modem sync'd but never got 'rdy'. so i guess either major upgrades or one hell of a failure. either way, at least it was being fixed while all of us were sleeping.

would be nice if a VM insider or someone with contacts inside VM could shed some light on it seeing as it was a large area that seems to have been affected.

Yeah and roll eyes guy im sure i didn't accuse them of doing it on purpose, but understand some people work different shifts (if you work at all which i doubt) and maybe their only time is night time, maybe they have relatives in different countries so talking to them on the phone over the internet is a cheaper solution and the only time they can do it is night time, and maybe virgin slow down their internet so much during the day then night time is the only viable option ...... since we lost a night, maybe we should gain a day with no restrictions .... sound fair?

ultimate
27-11-2007, 14:43
I think they were just changing their batteries :-)))

TraxData
27-11-2007, 14:44

Actually they did, it was a major upgrade that needed doing/fixing asap. (due to major hw failure)

They do all upgrades overnight now, so now, you cant use your connection when your asleep either, or during the day because your at work, or when your home because you'll get stm'd :p:

kjacko
27-11-2007, 14:45
back up at 14:44 m40

Ronsommer
27-11-2007, 14:47
Confirmed back up at 14:46 in M15 (near M1 in centre)

Martin
27-11-2007, 14:51
Atlast!! Back up in Manchester land!! I had to resort to browsing Cable Forum on my mobile to see what was going on.

dev
27-11-2007, 15:06
Actually they did, it was a major upgrade that needed doing/fixing asap. (due to major hw failure)

They do all upgrades overnight now, so now, you cant use your connection when your asleep either, or during the day because your at work, or when your home because you'll get stm'd :p:

so the major hw failure was caused by VM too? you know the reason you state for the upgrade.

garybuk: so you want VM to do work during the day time then when most people are using it? no matter what time of the day they do it they will stop certain people using it when they 'need' to, overnight is when the least people are using it so that's when it's done. same with any other maintenance

whisper53
27-11-2007, 15:07
My 20meg was down this morning in the Altrincham area,it has now come back on and it is at nearly 20meg for the first time ever.
Broadband helpline keep blaming my PC for the slow speeds ,
it is not to blame as it has speeded up today,hope it stays that way.:)

ThinkHarder
27-11-2007, 15:35
Working in SK3 now, though I don't know what time it came back on. Hope it doesn't go down again!

slowcoach
27-11-2007, 16:40
OK, it's 4.30pm and I am downloading at 18Meg using one thread, now this is either a fluke or whatever was causing the slow downloads in the past finally blew apart last night and the replacement parts have cured the problem.
We shall soon know the answer.

Sirius
27-11-2007, 17:30

So they finally fed the hamster ;). Tell me where did they get the money for that then.

---------- Post added at 17:30 ---------- Previous post was at 17:22 ----------

OK, it's 4.30pm and I am downloading at 18Meg using one thread, now this is either a fluke or whatever was causing the slow downloads in the past finally blew apart last night and the replacement parts have cured the problem.
We shall soon know the answer.
I saw your post and i heard in my head "i feel the need for speed" then i got this. Oh well back to crap again.

:rolleyes:

https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2007/11/3.png

ultimate
27-11-2007, 17:42
Yes, I was filled with hope thinking something was being fixed, they really have to get rid of their Sinclaire Spectrum, and may be BBC machines.

Tue, 27 Nov 2007 17:40:32 GMT

Test 1: 1024K took 6063 ms = 168.9 KB/sec, approx 1392 Kbps, 1.36 Mbps
Test 2: 1024K took 6187 ms = 165.5 KB/sec, approx 1364 Kbps, 1.33 Mbps
Test 3: 1024K took 5610 ms = 182.5 KB/sec, approx 1504 Kbps, 1.47 Mbps
Test 4: 2048K took 9406 ms = 217.7 KB/sec, approx 1794 Kbps, 1.75 Mbps

Overall Average Speed = approx 1514 Kbps, 1.48 Mbps

grabbi
27-11-2007, 18:59
Blackburn went down from about 12:30am, until the early morning (6/7am)

Taking a guess at the 7am bit, but I was up at 6, and it wasnt fixed.

Phoned faults, "Regional Fault" I was told, so I better get the money back from that call.

A little means a lot! ;)

28-11-2007, 18:48
I'm also in the M14 area and it has to be said...

VIRGIN MEDIA IS A WASTE OF TIME AND MONEY,

ANYONE THINKING ABOUT SIGNING UP TO THIS INTERNET IN MANCHESTER...BEWARE...ITS RUBBISH

20 % Packet Loss
100% Lag

Down with Richard Branson.
Down with Virgin Media.

(replace "down with" with "the f word")

Good day.

sputty
28-11-2007, 18:56
You're lagging all of time until the end of the universe? M20 here and all is well.

slowcoach
01-12-2007, 16:37
Update:
Since the outage in Gtr. Manchester speeds here in OL8 have shown a big improvement, almost a week now and speeds are around 19Meg dropping to 12Meg for a couple of hours some nights during the curfew period.

Previously every 2 or 3 days speeds would drop to around 1 to 3Meg all day long. I'm still not sure if the improvement is due to kicking the cloners or the result of fixing the fault which caused the outage or maybe customers on my UBR finally called it a day with VM, whatever, speeds here now are excellent.

Long may it last.

iadom
13-12-2007, 18:34
Just gone down here again.:(

Sirius
13-12-2007, 18:35
Just gone down here again.:(

:( It gets worse by the day.

iadom
13-12-2007, 18:38
Seems to be back now, it was out for about 25 minutes here.

Jim.

scrotnig
13-12-2007, 18:40
Yes, it's gone yet again. :rolleyes:

It really is atrocious now this once again service.

It's time I rung up for some money of the bill. The odd service outage I am with but it is becoming more and more frequent now.

rockstar89
13-12-2007, 19:07
Been having problems with ADSL in birmingham for about 3 weeks now, its still an orange light on service status, its getting fixed but ive had enough with ADSL so ive ordered cable and still have to go through a week or two of internet hell until the 'man in the van' comes over :/

Madmartigan
13-12-2007, 21:12
M20 here, all o.k, very rarely get speed problems.

starbug
14-12-2007, 10:48
M20 here, all o.k, very rarely get speed problems.

Where abouts in M20? my speeds every night are absolutely shocking, i rarely get over 1mb, what service are you on??

iTekweni
14-12-2007, 12:34
This is the first time I have got this kind of speeds since the upgrade and if it stays this way I will be happy.

Fri, 14 Dec 2007 12:31:04 UTC

Test 1: 1024K took 516 ms = 1984.5 KB/sec, approx 16352 Kbps, 15.97 Mbps
Test 2: 1024K took 500 ms = 2048 KB/sec, approx 16876 Kbps, 16.48 Mbps
Test 3: 1024K took 687 ms = 1490.5 KB/sec, approx 12282 Kbps, 11.99 Mbps
Test 4: 2048K took 1219 ms = 1680.1 KB/sec, approx 13844 Kbps, 13.52 Mbps

Overall Average Speed = approx 14839 Kbps, 14.49 Mbps

Stokerockscene
14-12-2007, 20:52
Still crap from Baguely

Fri, 14 Dec 2007 20:52:12 GMT

Test 1: 1024K took 1789 ms = 572.4 KB/sec, approx 4717 Kbps, 4.61 Mbps
Test 2: 1024K took 1727 ms = 592.9 KB/sec, approx 4885 Kbps, 4.77 Mbps
Test 3: 1024K took 1750 ms = 585.1 KB/sec, approx 4821 Kbps, 4.71 Mbps
Test 4: 2048K took 3519 ms = 582 KB/sec, approx 4796 Kbps, 4.68 Mbps

Overall Average Speed = approx 4805 Kbps, 4.69 Mbps

Sirpingalot
14-12-2007, 21:07
Still crap from Baguely

Fri, 14 Dec 2007 20:52:12 GMT

Test 1: 1024K took 1789 ms = 572.4 KB/sec, approx 4717 Kbps, 4.61 Mbps
Test 2: 1024K took 1727 ms = 592.9 KB/sec, approx 4885 Kbps, 4.77 Mbps
Test 3: 1024K took 1750 ms = 585.1 KB/sec, approx 4821 Kbps, 4.71 Mbps
Test 4: 2048K took 3519 ms = 582 KB/sec, approx 4796 Kbps, 4.68 Mbps

Overall Average Speed = approx 4805 Kbps, 4.69 Mbps

Holy crap, that's good. I'm only getting..well lets see

---------- Post added at 21:07 ---------- Previous post was at 20:59 ----------

On the Baguley network - Fri, 14 Dec 2007 20:59:22 UTC

Test 1: 1024K took 18757 ms = 54.6 KB/sec, approx 450 Kbps, 0.44 Mbps
Test 2: 1024K took 17049 ms = 60.1 KB/sec, approx 495 Kbps, 0.48 Mbps
Test 3: 1024K took 14097 ms = 72.6 KB/sec, approx 598 Kbps, 0.58 Mbps
Test 4: 2048K took 37661 ms = 54.4 KB/sec, approx 448 Kbps, 0.44 Mbps

Overall Average Speed = approx 498 Kbps, 0.49 Mbps

To repeat this test from the source server click here.

slowcoach
14-12-2007, 22:01
Normally full whack on a Friday night

Fri, 14 Dec 2007 21:59:26 GMT

Test 1: 1024K took 1191 ms = 859.8 KB/sec, approx 7085 Kbps, 6.92 Mbps
Test 2: 1024K took 1082 ms = 946.4 KB/sec, approx 7798 Kbps, 7.62 Mbps
Test 3: 1024K took 1156 ms = 885.8 KB/sec, approx 7299 Kbps, 7.13 Mbps
Test 4: 2048K took 1771 ms = 1156.4 KB/sec, approx 9529 Kbps, 9.31 Mbps

Overall Average Speed = approx 7928 Kbps, 7.74 Mbps

Looks like people are saving up for Christmas and not going down the pub.

Stokerockscene
14-12-2007, 22:06
Holy crap, that's good. I'm only getting..well lets see

---------- Post added at 21:07 ---------- Previous post was at 20:59 ----------

On the Baguley network - Fri, 14 Dec 2007 20:59:22 UTC

Test 1: 1024K took 18757 ms = 54.6 KB/sec, approx 450 Kbps, 0.44 Mbps
Test 2: 1024K took 17049 ms = 60.1 KB/sec, approx 495 Kbps, 0.48 Mbps
Test 3: 1024K took 14097 ms = 72.6 KB/sec, approx 598 Kbps, 0.58 Mbps
Test 4: 2048K took 37661 ms = 54.4 KB/sec, approx 448 Kbps, 0.44 Mbps

Overall Average Speed = approx 498 Kbps, 0.49 Mbps

To repeat this test from the source server click here.

Ahh man thats bad. even with my broken modem i beat that :monkey:

Sirpingalot
15-12-2007, 00:17
Sat, 15 Dec 2007 00:16:37 UTC

Test 1: 1024K took 437 ms = 2343.2 KB/sec, approx 19308 Kbps, 18.86 Mbps
Test 2: 1024K took 704 ms = 1454.5 KB/sec, approx 11985 Kbps, 11.7 Mbps
Test 3: 1024K took 593 ms = 1726.8 KB/sec, approx 14229 Kbps, 13.9 Mbps
Test 4: 2048K took 1125 ms = 1820.4 KB/sec, approx 15000 Kbps, 14.65 Mbps

Overall Average Speed = approx 15131 Kbps, 14.78 Mbps

scrotnig
17-12-2007, 21:28
For the umpteenth time, Manchester has just gone down *again*. Modem lights flashing, etc etc, no answer from technical support.

Once again I am paying through the nose to access the internet via a PAYG dialup.

That's it now. This service has gone from outstanding to appalling in the space of six months. Finally, I have to acknowledge that in the new year I will need to switch to ADSL, probably Sky which will have to mean the end of my cable TV service as well.

slowcoach
17-12-2007, 21:49
Back up now in Oldham.

SnoopZ
17-12-2007, 21:50
http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/12/33625681-broadband-down-technical-support-no-answer.html

Florence
17-12-2007, 21:50
Yes yet again Manchester is down it is this stupid method they have to control heavy users... When i checked my modem it had network access denied so definately Virginmedia who are at fault not the network it is the scripts they are using to limit access and I havent downloaded much at all........

Not a happy customer... 2008 looks like it is time to relook at my phone and internet service

iadom
17-12-2007, 21:58
My BB is working fine but my both STB's have a light flashing on the front indicating a return path fault.:(

Jim.

allthom
18-12-2007, 10:45
mine was down again most of monday evening into tuesday morning till i gave up and went to bed. back up again this morning 9.00am. getting more frequent as others have stated, i used to have no problems but know it is almost every day. looking at getting a new bt line and dumping vm. maybe we could organise a mass cancellation, perhaps that might get vm to do something.

Sirius
18-12-2007, 11:48
Not a happy customer... 2008 looks like it is time to relook at my phone and internet service

You have been saying that for years ?.

How is it that we only ever see you and scrotnig when there is a problem you can complain about. And you both say that's it i have had enough but you both never do it ?

My connection was down last night so i watched Telly for a while then went to bed. While the Broadband was off the world did not end and i just got on with life.

Rone
18-12-2007, 18:39
Been moitoring my speeds during the day, in between trying to keep warm and working.
My mate up the road came home for lunch on tuesday knocked on my door and asked me if i had noticed massive spikes in the connection over the last day or two during the day, which of course i had. Its been as bad during the day as it is early evening, i just hope it is'nt going to go tits up altogether. :(

piggy
18-12-2007, 18:54

How is it that we only ever see you and scrotnig when there is a problem you can complain about. And you both say that's it i have had enough but you both never do it ?

My connection was down last night so i watched Telly for a while then went to bed. While the Broadband was off the world did not end and i just got on with life.

for some people the internet IS life.....sad but true.

deed02392
18-12-2007, 20:41
for some people the internet IS life.....sad but true.

The internet is my life. Virgin just killed me for 12 hours! :p:

saabmania2
18-12-2007, 20:51

:clap::clap::clap::clap: couldn't agree more

deed02392
18-12-2007, 20:56
:clap::clap::clap::clap: couldn't agree more

Well I think we can all agree that neither the world would end nor would we die as a result of the broadband outage.

But that does not make it acceptable.

saabmania2
18-12-2007, 21:12
Well I think we can all agree that neither the world would end nor would we die as a result of the broadband outage.

But that does not make it acceptable.

no it doesn't but at the end of the day it COULD have been much worse it could have been in the middle of the day, it could have been early evening it could have been down for much longer if it had been over xmas.
as sirius said it wasn't the end of the world (and even if it was you wouldn't need a internet connection cos there would be nobody else left) :):)

deed02392
18-12-2007, 21:50
no it doesn't but at the end of the day it COULD have been much worse it could have been in the middle of the day, it could have been early evening it could have been down for much longer if it had been over xmas.
as sirius said it wasn't the end of the world (and even if it was you wouldn't need a internet connection cos there would be nobody else left) :):)

I would say that more people are using the internet at 9pm than at mid day on their home connections...

And besides, it doesn't matter how you measure 'how bad it was' in any arbitrary units, it's still something that should not have happened.

Florence
18-12-2007, 21:58
Well since the large redundancies I suppose the network was going to suffer. My daughter in Bolton is still down tonight. She needs the connection for her Uni work and cant come home as she cant get back intime for uni tomorrow. Her internet is in he landlords name so unless he is willing to keep calling the premium number she ends up with no connection until Virgin media realise and sort it....

deed02392
18-12-2007, 22:08
Perhaps this should be when saabmania2 (http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/members/34275.html) recommends that you tell your daughter in Bolton that Uni is not her life, or indeed the end of the world. Should I use the roll eye's smiley?

saabmania2
19-12-2007, 06:34
Perhaps this should be when saabmania2 (http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/members/34275.html) recommends that you tell your daughter in Bolton that Uni is not her life, or indeed the end of the world. Should I use the roll eye's smiley?

why does the internet stop her from coming home then? cos the world has ended :rolleyes::p:

Sirpingalot
19-12-2007, 14:18
The outage shouldn't have occured. Especially for a service that claims to be the most reliable of any provider (or in this case - NON Provider LOL). It seems, though, that they're happening more and more frequently now, which is the main concern.