PDA

View Full Version : serious question for parents

maddyp
26-11-2007, 22:29
anyone got kids in junior school?

do you think it odd nowadays if a teacher blows a whistle to keep kids qiet and makes them write lines for talking?

also should a head teacher have her own email so she/he can be contacted without the school secratary having a read as well?

homealone
26-11-2007, 23:21
not for a while ;)

No - I'd find it amazing they could write ;)

I can only imagine how that would be abused, in my opinion a School Secretary is perfectly placed to screen messages to the Head Teacher, sorry - an individual head may be happy to allow 'personal' messages, but I wouldn't like to see it enforced 'across the board' :)

TheNorm
26-11-2007, 23:26
...should a head teacher have her own email so she/he can be contacted without the school secratary having a read as well?

The head teacher has enough work to do without reading every email that appears in the inbox.

Help!!!
26-11-2007, 23:37
The head teacher has enough work to do without reading every email that appears in the inbox.

Agreed, Can't see what you would send to the head teacher that you wouldn't say to the secratary

Maggy
26-11-2007, 23:53
As a parent of now grown children and a teacher I think using whistles and bells to regulate the school day perfectly normal..they use a bell in the junior and infants school behind my house.If the kids can't hear the teacher in class then I reckon a whistle is fine..they are used in PE after all.

Writing lines is a poor substitute for the slipper or the cane..what would you suggest instead? Frankly the methods open to teacher to keep discipline suck and removing writing lines is the thin end of the wedge.If anything it might actually encourage better handwriting.

As for the email thing..why are you so concerned?Are you suggesting some sort of impropriety?As far as I'm aware in the secondary schools all teachers have an email inbox that can only be accessed by the IT technicians and then I assume the data protection act has to be applied to the whole process anyway.School secretaries can't be privy to ALL info you know..some things are private when it comes to students and their families.:)

Vlad_Dracul
29-11-2007, 10:14
Whistles and bells are necessary to marshall large groups of people. Youngsters need leadership and direction,something sadly lacking these days in some quarters.

Lines? pretty unproductive really. Far better to get them to do a piece of work i.e do some sums,read a chapter of a book and then give you a short talk on it etc..

email-teacher should have her own if she feels it necessary and has the time to service it

Stuart
29-11-2007, 11:57
anyone got kids in junior school?
No.

do you think it odd nowadays if a teacher blows a whistle to keep kids qiet and makes them write lines for talking?

If the noise in the class is loud enough. then a whistle may be the best way to get every listening. I personally consider Lines to be unproductive though.

also should a head teacher have her own email so she/he can be contacted without the school secratary having a read as well?

Most head teachers probably get a lot of email and probably 90% is stuff that can be dealt with just as effectively (if not more so) by other people, which is why it is filtered by the School Secretary (or their PA) . Unless your complaint is about the School Secretary, I don't see that there should be any problem with them reading it. If your complaint is about the School Secretary, it may be better to go and see, or phone, the head.

Whistles and bells are necessary to marshall large groups of people. Youngsters need leadership and direction,something sadly lacking these days in some quarters.

True.