PDA

View Full Version : Throttle of web traffic while emule running

jsl123
26-11-2007, 21:25
I've read about the virgin media throttling policy, but i've got a strange behaviour and wondered if anyone else had it or an explanation.

If i browse the web normally or use the various speedtests, i get good performance and near the speed i would expect for my contract. However as soon as i start emule my normal browsing is crippled and the speed tests drop to a fraction of normal speed (sometimes 10%). Also as quickly as it slows down if i kill emule, my connections speed back up again. This is so pronounced that on the graphical tests you can witness it happen.

I rarely use emule only and my bandwidth usage is minimal so i can't believe i'm being hit for that and if i was why does it go back.

I've tried lowering the connections, etc of emule to see if it makes a difference, but so far nothing does.

Any suggestions

Thanks

Gary L
26-11-2007, 21:27
Are you using Ethernet or USB to connect? how powerful is your computer? sounds like it's a resource thing that is slowing you down.

jsl123
26-11-2007, 21:41
Ethernet. computer is a dual core P4 2.6Ghz with 1Gb of memory so i doubt it can't handle a bit of browsing and emule :)

jakebarry
27-11-2007, 00:31
Ethernet. computer is a dual core P4 2.6Ghz with 1Gb of memory so i doubt it can't handle a bit of browsing and emule :)

That's interesting, I get the very same problem on a simerlar spec machine and Ethernet.

Never used to, it's just while I've been with VM living in the SE over the last year... umm

Keane
27-11-2007, 00:36
When you are using emule, are you sharing files?

if the program is sharing files and your upload speed is being fully used then it slow down your browsing speeds and download speeds. It's very common, it even happens with torrent programs. Try to disable file sharing or limit how much you upload and see if that helps.

piggy
27-11-2007, 08:23
or you could ring technical help and ask
when im sharing illegal files my conx slows is this normal?

my point being do some homework before asking questions google is your friend!!

jsl123
27-11-2007, 08:45
The connection in emule is barely being used - before Virgin i don't recall any similar problems with NTL and i used to have the emule properties tweak to the optimal settings (for me). Lots of research on google came up with nothing hence the post to see if it was just me.

I was thinking about phoning virgin about it (i've even spoken to their engineers), but it is another list of things that seem to be wrong, so switching provider is probably the next step

xspeedyx
27-11-2007, 08:48
or you could ring technical help and ask
when im sharing illegal files my conx slows is this normal?

my point being do some homework before asking questions google is your friend!!

who said he was getting illegal files

---------- Post added at 08:48 ---------- Previous post was at 08:47 ----------

emule is using connection tho try turning file sharing as said before

jsl123
27-11-2007, 10:47
both directions are limited in emule, but it seems to only effect http traffic so looks like an active thing. For example i have a vpn open to the office pretty much all day if i'm at home and that doesn't seem to be slowed.

As for the legality of the files, mainly episodes of programs i've missed and there isn't a second showing. You could argue about the status of these all day - i'm sure they are illegal copies, but i've paid for the program and happen to miss while being out, etc...

xspeedyx
27-11-2007, 11:57
check ur ports aswell might be a issue there

---------- Post added at 11:57 ---------- Previous post was at 11:55 ----------

on the other hand dont use emule use torrents or newsgroup or even frostwire they are all quicker

ECW_Original
29-11-2007, 09:50
check ur ports aswell might be a issue there

---------- Post added at 11:57 ---------- Previous post was at 11:55 ----------

on the other hand dont use emule use torrents or newsgroup or even frostwire they are all quicker

Are you joking about FrostWire?

I installed it the other day, and within 5 mins it was un-installed again, couldnt get it to connect at all, I soon switched back to LimeWire :)

Jonathan90
29-11-2007, 10:06
same problem with utorrent but i have fixed it use this program called tcp patcher and open max connections to 50 as someone sais above yes it may be your upload maxing out try and cap it at 80% of your normal uplaod speed and also try tcp patcher its good

http://lvllord.de/download.php?url=en/EvID4226Patch223d-en.zip

ECW_Original
29-11-2007, 10:09
same problem with utorrent but i have fixed it use this program called tcp patcher and open max connections to 50 as someone sais above yes it may be your upload maxing out try and cap it at 80% of your normal uplaod speed and also try tcp patcher its good

Yes this is a good handy lil app to have, im almost embarrased I did not suggest it sooner, I was never sure how many to open, so mine is sitting at 120 max connections.

Sirpingalot
29-11-2007, 23:11
As far as I know, and in my experience, p2p traffic DOES slow all traffic down considerably regardless of port number. I'm not sure if this is the fault of the isp, but this is what I know.

Daffy Duck
30-11-2007, 11:04

I think you'll find that the tcp patcher doesn't change the max number of open connections you can have...it changes the max number of HALF open connections per second.So it's not going to alter how many connections you can make just how fast you can make them.

xspeedyx
30-11-2007, 11:14
I think you'll find that the tcp patcher doesn't change the max number of open connections you can have...it changes the max number of HALF open connections per second.So it's not going to alter how many connections you can make just how fast you can make them.

still it does help alittle not that much but will help

Rabs
30-11-2007, 13:00
Youve not mentioned if your using a router or not, if you are - you may be maxing out the connections the router can handle causing slowdowns on http amongst other things.

As suggested previously, limit your upload to 80% of your upload speed - also if possible limit your maximum connections that the program makes, to a max of say 160 connections that should help also.

Let us know how you get on :)

JohnM
30-11-2007, 13:19
I'm 99% certain youl find the issue is a saturated upstream as others have said..

Daffy Duck
30-11-2007, 16:35
still it does help alittle not that much but will help

Well...it cuts down the number of 4226 errors in event viewer i suppose.