PDA

View Full Version : missing power supply

mb2
26-11-2007, 17:44
we have the ntl 250 modem, however are missing the power supply. can we get one from VM (free? cost?).. or, if we have to buy one, where?, what is the connector referred to as?

we have tried looking on ebay for a suitable 10v >= 1a power supply but from what i have tried searching with nothing suitable has come up (other than buying a whole new modem).
what should i search for to get decent results?
(...if its not much more then i will probably get a variable voltage PSU..)

thanks.

Hugh
26-11-2007, 17:46
erm, how did you get the modem in the first place?

If VM supplied it, they should supply the power supply - if they didn't, you won't get much help here, as that means its a bit iffy.

Halcyon
26-11-2007, 17:55
Don't bother buying a modem on ebay as they won't work.
If it is just to use the power adapter however, that will work.

If you have an account with VirginMedia just give them a call and they can tell you if they can supply you with one.

Gary L
26-11-2007, 18:04
Call VM and tell them that it's squealing and spitting. they will send you a new one :)

v0id
26-11-2007, 19:08
I'd have thought VM would charge you though, if you lost/damaged your modem PSU.
But I suspect that the OP isn't a VM subscriber, as I'd have expected them to have phoned CS before asking such a question on a message board :/

fayraz
26-11-2007, 21:13
When Virgin replaced my ntl 120 modem with a ntl 255 they never gave me a power supply they said just use your old one even though the output is higher on that; 1.2A instead of 1A.

Gary L
26-11-2007, 21:24
When Virgin replaced my ntl 120 modem with a ntl 255 they never gave me a power supply they said just use your old one even though the output is higher on that; 1.2A instead of 1A.

When your house burns down, you can always sue them :D

SapperGB
26-11-2007, 21:37
wtf?

same here

gulp.

Graham M
26-11-2007, 21:53
Its maximum rated output! If the device doesn't need 1.2A to run it won't use it!

fayraz
27-11-2007, 08:22
Its maximum rated output! If the device doesn't need 1.2A to run it won't use it!

I got mine changed but I guess it was OK to use it.

Dai
28-11-2007, 10:43
I got mine changed but I guess it was OK to use it.

Think of it like the PSU in your PC. Mine's rated at 500W.. but imagine how long my core2 would last if the PSU insisted on pushing the whole 500watts through it. System just takes what it needs.

Mind you, voltage is another story altogether..

Monserrat
28-11-2007, 13:04
@ Halcyon, are you named after the album by Orbital? :-)

mb2
28-11-2007, 16:36
I'd have thought VM would charge you though, if you lost/damaged your modem PSU.
But I suspect that the OP isn't a VM subscriber, as I'd have expected them to have phoned CS before asking such a question on a message board :/oh please.
a) we don't have a land line, calling from mobiles costs money.
b) calling CS tends to i) take forever ii) cost loads (haven't looked into that due to all other reasons and my skepticism) iii) generally are much more useless than forums. iv) have an agenda (make money) which hopefully people here don't.
c) as you suggested, VM will likely charge, and my experience is they will over-charge.
d) as far as i am aware there are loads of VM workers here, i don't see why i shouldn't ask here.
e) would probably prefer to get a variable voltage /connector one, so if i ever stop subscribing to VM i can continue to use the power supply for something else.

the power supply was lost (is that so hard to believe between how many million VM bb subscribers?)

so, i popped onto a forum [which you may note i have been a member of for ages and not just signed up to] where it would be much easier and quicker and i would hopefully get unbiased help. i really didn't think that would be a problem.

if i *were* trying to steal internet, [which i thought would be much harder than just plugging in a stolen modem], i could quite easily buy a modem off ebay, and just use the power supply from that.
however, i was looking for a cheaper/better way, as they seem to go for about £15, which is a bit of a rip off for only a power supply like that. £15 would be nothing to get free internet however.

as halcyon asserts however this wouldn't get me internet. [stealing a modem that is]

Gary L, can you elaborate (unless someone else can actually help me) re: the spitting / squealing. also, yes, anything that is *at least* 1a would be fine, they only take the power they need. if the voltage is too high, that is what would make it fry.

sorry if i came across badly but i was so surprised/frustrated to be met with such suspicion upon asking a genuine question.