PDA

View Full Version : VM are slowing down usenet

Gary L
26-11-2007, 08:44
UsenetServer have had that many complaints from VM customers about slow speeds that they have done some investigations of their own.
The results show that 'high end users' are all being allocated IP's in a
particular range, which has the effect of strangling that range.

:(

Paul
26-11-2007, 08:48
How does allocating ip's in a particular range 'strangle' that range ?

(actually, what ip's are you referring to exactly, the customer ip ? if so they are different on each ubr, so I'm not sure what you even mean).

Gary L
26-11-2007, 08:52
I would think that the IP's that are allocated know that they are to go slow. I don't know. we need a tech to tell us how it works.

mrmistoffelees
26-11-2007, 08:56
I would suspect that that the block of IP's assigned will have the ports that news groups use throttled.

Easier to adminster when done in a block

|Kippa|
26-11-2007, 09:01
I am on 20mbit and use usenet newsgroups via Astraweb. I've not experienced any problems with my connection. In fact for the first time I go the full 20mbit download rate a few days ago, usually it hovers between 18 and 19 mbit.

Gary L
26-11-2007, 09:13
You're probably not on a congested UBR and you're using a different usenet server.

xspeedyx
26-11-2007, 09:18
when i have used newsgroups always hit around 18-19mb

kibblerok
26-11-2007, 09:22
any particular locations?

Richy99
26-11-2007, 10:54
sounds more like a usenetserver issue as other providers and areas are hitting full speed

TraxData
26-11-2007, 11:15
How does allocating ip's in a particular range 'strangle' that range ?

(actually, what ip's are you referring to exactly, the customer ip ? if so they are different on each ubr, so I'm not sure what you even mean).

They are talking about the fact if you use the newsgroup too much (in certain areas, im not actually sure which) then they put you on a "bad boy" ip range, which effectively slows you down, alot.

zing_deleted
26-11-2007, 11:24
UsenetServer have had that many complaints from VM customers about slow speeds that they have done some investigations of their own.
The results show that 'high end users' are all being allocated IP's in a
particular range, which has the effect of strangling that range.

:(

Have you ever heard the phase fobbed off? the last 4 months running ive downloaded a hell of a lot from Giganews and nothing has happened to me.VM with all the bad press has become and easy target me thinks. How much do you download a month?

TraxData
26-11-2007, 11:25
Have you ever heard the phase fobbed off? the last 4 months running ive downloaded a hell of a lot from Giganews and nothing has happened to me.VM with all the bad press has become and easy target me thinks. How much do you download a month?

It could be that, but i also know 3 or 4 guys on giga who are now also in the badboy ip range ;)

Chrysalis
26-11-2007, 11:25
VM can in theory have an ip range that has substandard routing/peering to these usenet providers and then put heavy customers on it effectively throttling them, or simpler the ip range is on a limited resource eg. a 100mbit router and so no matter how much they downloading bandwidth would never exceed 100mbit between these customers at any given point.

mcmanic
26-11-2007, 11:27
strange this because this weekend i have expericenced bad slowdown on usenetserver, from 20meg down to dialup speeds, i put it down to usenetserver as they was having problems last week with their SSL servers and they advise everyone to move over to the normal servers so i just put it down to over congestion, infact right now with test file and ten connections i'm back at 20meg.So it obviously usenetserver blaming VM when infact its their own end

zing_deleted
26-11-2007, 11:32
It could be that, but i also know 3 or 4 guys on giga who are now also in the badboy ip range ;)

how high is this badboy range ? what sort of quantity are they going through?

Gary L
26-11-2007, 11:44
Have you ever heard the phase fobbed off? the last 4 months running ive downloaded a hell of a lot from Giganews and nothing has happened to me.

www.usenetserver.com
[208.49.83.42]

www.giganews.com
[216.196.100.135]

Richy99
26-11-2007, 14:27
what the posting of the server ips got to do with anything?

Gary L
26-11-2007, 14:44
To show the difference between the two.

punky
26-11-2007, 15:10
What's that got to do with VM?

Also, i'd like to add you posted the IP for Giganews' website, which is different to both of their newsgroup servers.

Gary L
26-11-2007, 15:21
What's that got to do with VM?

What's what got to do with VM?
The thread is about VM slowing down usenetserver.

Also, i'd like to add you posted the IP for Giganews' website, which is different to both of their newsgroup servers.

It wasn't meant to be the server IP for Giganews. it was to show that usenetserver.com and giganews.com are 2 different companies entirely.

ThinkHarder
26-11-2007, 20:43
VM are not slowing down UsenetServer. The problem lies with the fact that UsenetServer is crap. Use Giganews and you will have no problems. :)

Also the fact that you are posting those IP addresses shows that you clearly don't know what you are talking about. You are either trolling or have been fobbed off as zinglebarb said.

Gary L
26-11-2007, 20:55
VM are not slowing down UsenetServer. The problem lies with the fact that UsenetServer is crap.

No it is VM that are slowing usenetserver down and usenetserver are brill. I am just as sure of that as you are as sure that they are not. only one of us is right and who says that it has to be you? ;)

Also the fact that you are posting those IP addresses shows that you clearly don't know what you are talking about. You are either trolling or have been fobbed off as zinglebarb said.

I posted the IP addresses to show the difference between the 2. it was turning into a *but Sky do that too, but Sky are just the same* It clearly says usenetserver it does not say Giganews. we wasn't discussing Giganews.

utt
26-11-2007, 21:01
Try the Giganews free trial and you will see that there is no restriction and usenet may be where your problem is

Gary L
26-11-2007, 21:09
:banghead:

TheDon
26-11-2007, 21:37
Gary, Giganews are one of the biggest usenet providers. Usenetserver aren't.
If you were VM, and you started throttling people using usenet, would you hit the biggest site, or some also ran?

Personally I'd throttle the biggest, hell I'd do them all. I wouldn't just go "lets throttle connections to this site, but ignore the other sites that are far bigger and use far more of our bandwidth!"

Logically it makes zero sense to do it that way, so it's FAR more likely that usenetserver are having capacity issues (which they are, the front page of their site even tells you they're getting in additional hardware) and just doing what all other companies do, fobing it off on someone else to try to keep their customers happy.

I'm a HEAVY downloader, I often hit over 500gb a month, I just love my HD films. I'm willing to bet if they started artificial throttling I'd be one of the first people to notice.

TraxData
26-11-2007, 21:43
Gary, Giganews are one of the biggest usenet providers. Usenetserver aren't.
If you were VM, and you started throttling people using usenet, would you hit the biggest site, or some also ran?

Personally I'd throttle the biggest, hell I'd do them all. I wouldn't just go "lets throttle connections to this site, but ignore the other sites that are far bigger and use far more of our bandwidth!"

Logically it makes zero sense to do it that way, so it's FAR more likely that usenetserver are having capacity issues (which they are, the front page of their site even tells you they're getting in additional hardware) and just doing what all other companies do, fobing it off on someone else to try to keep their customers happy.

I'm a HEAVY downloader, I often hit over 500gb a month, I just love my HD films. I'm willing to bet if they started artificial throttling I'd be one of the first people to notice.

If you had bothered to read what i said.

Yes, there is a badboy IP range, its easy to re-route traffic through that.

And its just one of their many trials they are running right now, along with the upload STM trial.

Gary L
26-11-2007, 21:46
It could be a trial that VM are doing and they might just be altering traffic to Usenetserver but not Giganews or any of the others. I don't think they would dare do them all at the same time, there would be a riot if they did.
:)

TheDon
26-11-2007, 21:46
If you had bothered to read what i said.

Yes, there is a badboy IP range, its easy to re-route traffic through that.

And its just one of their many trials they are running right now, along with the upload STM trial.

I bothered to read it, then also bothered to read you not replying to a question about it, and so it got filtered in my bullshit filter as it goes against everything I've experienced. Again, if anyone was in a bad boy range I'd easily be one of them.

Unless there's actual proof other than "yeah my friends in that range" then I'll believe it when it happens to me.

TraxData
26-11-2007, 21:53
I bothered to read it, then also bothered to read you not replying to a question about it, and so it got filtered in my bullshit filter as it goes against everything I've experienced. Again, if anyone was in a bad boy range I'd easily be one of them.

Unless there's actual proof other than "yeah my friends in that range" then I'll believe it when it happens to me.

Yea, well, mate, i said STM was coming, people didnt believe, then it come.

I said Upload STM was coming, no one believed, and here it is (unfortunetly i cant give you a link cuz it links to an illegal site)

They are trialling this, like it or not, i could care less what you believe.

And no, you wouldnt be one of them, people do 3-5tb/month you know, your a small user compared to most.

And its a trial, meaning it will be in random areas at random times, it swaps over weekly, course, if you knew anything about VM, you'd know how their trials work, eh.

P.S Oh yea, i used to work on their network planning team/department, so dont class me as some bullshi**er ty

utt
26-11-2007, 22:13
P.S Oh yea, i used to work on their network planning team/department, so dont class me as some bullshi**er ty

"Used to" so you actually have no proof you can show

TraxData
26-11-2007, 22:24

Except for the staff documents sitting in front of me :rolleyes:

I still know people high enough up ty.

And im still very involved with VM right now for other reasons which i wont go into.

Gary L
26-11-2007, 22:26

Proof of what? that they do trials in certain areas, or that they are doing any trials at all? I can confirm that VM do the trials in certain areas at a time and I do believe that Trax could well be right. I also don't believe that Usenetserver would say about the *bad boy* IP range if it weren't true.
Come up with another excuse, but not something that you know isn't true and is likely to be reported back to VM like it was.

utt
27-11-2007, 07:58
Ok... so you are saying that Usenetserver have identified that VM have a "bad boy" range of IP addresses. If this was so, I would have expected this to be posted somewhere on their website to alert VM customers to stop any support tickets being raised. Can you post the link to this information?

piggy
27-11-2007, 08:14
Yea, well, mate, i said STM was coming, people didnt believe, then it come.

I said Upload STM was coming, no one believed, and here it is (unfortunetly i cant give you a link cuz it links to an illegal site)

They are trialling this, like it or not, i could care less what you believe.

And no, you wouldnt be one of them, people do 3-5tb/month you know, your a small user compared to most.

And its a trial, meaning it will be in random areas at random times, it swaps over weekly, course, if you knew anything about VM, you'd know how their trials work, eh.

if people do download that quantity i would kick them off and not just slow them down

xspeedyx
27-11-2007, 08:24
then vm would lose half of its network remember ppl use vm or did mainly because its unlimited and they really dont care how much you download

pxr5
27-11-2007, 14:48
I'm on Usenetserver and haven't noticed any problems.

Stuart
27-11-2007, 15:22
What's what got to do with VM?
The thread is about VM slowing down usenetserver.

It wasn't meant to be the server IP for Giganews. it was to show that usenetserver.com and giganews.com are 2 different companies entirely.

The thing is, if NNTP (or usenet) was the problem, they *wouldn't* slow down access to one provider. They would slow news access generally, or at least to all the major providers (including Easynews and Giganews).

piggy
27-11-2007, 19:28
then vm would lose half of its network remember ppl use vm or did mainly because its unlimited and they really dont care how much you download

we can go round in circles if you want.....vm do care hence stm....vm wouldnt lose half the network as imo there arnt that many who download several tb's a month, for the people that do i would lose them and release the bandwidth so less stm for the masses

TraxData
27-11-2007, 20:09
we can go round in circles if you want.....vm do care hence stm....vm wouldnt lose half the network as imo there arnt that many who download several tb's a month, for the people that do i would lose them and release the bandwidth so less stm for the masses

Oh god, here we go again.

STM was NOT implemented because of heavy bandwith users, it WAS implemented so they didnt have to pay to upgrade the network (which needed millions) only to spend more millions upgrading it all to docsis3 in the next year.

STM was implemented for that one, and only reason.

piggy
27-11-2007, 22:31
Oh god, here we go again.

STM was NOT implemented because of heavy bandwith users, it WAS implemented so they didnt have to pay to upgrade the network (which needed millions) only to spend more millions upgrading it all to docsis3 in the next year.

STM was implemented for that one, and only reason.

but that is the same reason, the bandwidth has been oversold if heavydownloaders were not there the network would be faster for everybody upgraded or not.

TraxData
27-11-2007, 22:46
but that is the same reason, the bandwidth has been oversold if heavydownloaders were not there the network would be faster for everybody upgraded or not.

Err, so thats VM at fault for over selling bandwith.

But your still wrong, nothing to do with heavy downloaders, its a simple factor of its a waste of time spending loads of money to upgrade a docsis1 network, only to upgrade it all to docsis 3 less than a year later, would be a waste of money.

piggy
27-11-2007, 22:50
Err, so thats VM at fault for over selling bandwith.

But your still wrong, nothing to do with heavy downloaders, its a simple factor of its a waste of time spending loads of money to upgrade a docsis1 network, only to upgrade it all to docsis 3 less than a year later, would be a waste of money.

yes ok you win heavydownloaders do not congest the network:dozey:

Gary L
27-11-2007, 22:52
yes ok you win heavydownloaders do not congest the network:dozey:

Correct, it's too many customers that do ;)

Stuart
27-11-2007, 23:18
Actually, it's both.

homealone
27-11-2007, 23:27
In my humble opinion I think both of your 'arguments' have merit & it is a combination of the two scenarios that affect different areas, the way they do.....

In the meantime I'm pleased to see that some episodes of 'The Prisoner' have recently been posted & once the possibility of STM has passed, later, I'll be joining one or other group (heavy downloader vs too many customers) - but I expect I'll continue with the 480KB/s I always get for my 4Mb/s VM tariff, using Giganews ;)

Gary L
27-11-2007, 23:28
The thing is, if NNTP (or usenet) was the problem, they *wouldn't* slow down access to one provider. They would slow news access generally, or at least to all the major providers (including Easynews and Giganews).

Not if it is a *trial*
Trial being an excuse to do what they want as long as they call it a *trial* it's in the T&Cs

Horizon
27-11-2007, 23:44
The **issue** here is that VM don't make money on all these Usenet downloads. I won't repeat what I have said before, so here are my posts from the 2006 Traffic Shaping thread on this issue:

It's a bit like brothels really. If you can't get rid of them, tax them. Making money is what companies are about and I reckon this traffic shaping is a step along that road.

Unlimited legal downloading of video content for say £30-£40 quid is on the horizon, or "coming soon" as ntl like to say. Bit like their pvr... In a few years we'll look back on this time with fondness. Oh, how we'll miss those pars and rars..so clinical downloading a film in a few seconds/minutes...now back to the present and Mr Emule:)Believe me, ntl's bosses are very aware they need to make money...This is how they're going to do it, I think...The legal downloading of film/tv and other content, for a fee, from ntl's own systems using bittorrent or such like system. Which has already been publicly announced. Of course to free up bandwith, those pesky folk illegally downloading stuff needs to be controlled a bit more than as is now. I'm whiter than white on this issue of course..:)

The question is, if people are getting stuff for free now, would they pay for it in the future? Perhaps that's why a "nudge" is needed now to turn people away from the dark side and into the paying light:)

Gary L
28-11-2007, 00:00
The question is, if people are getting stuff for free now, would they pay for it in the future? Perhaps that's why a "nudge" is needed now to turn people away from the dark side and into the paying light:

Mugs -----> This Way

Warez ----¬
:
:
Over Here <----

Horizon
28-11-2007, 00:17
Just to throw another thing into the pot here, but a "slightly" relevant one, the writers of US dramas are on strike in the States right now. They are arguing over who controls, and at what level, the revenues from downloaded material.

Making money from downloads is THE issue. If no one makes money, then the film and tv industry will collapse. Who here has the money to go to Hawaii and film a excellent series like Lost? No one, I would imagine. Tedious 2 minute youtube videos have a novelty factor, but will never replace a well written and produced drama.

A "few" people downloading today is not such a issue. But a whole generation is growing up with the understanding that tv, film, music etc is free. Nothing is free in life, not even water.

The questions for film studios, tv companies, telcos, writers/producers etc, is how to make sense of, and money, in this new digital world.

We are all living in the golden age of the internet, the digital wild west if you like. It's about to end folks, whether we like it or not. Get those downloads in fast, because I think within a few years "things" will be very different.

TraxData
28-11-2007, 00:30
Just to throw another thing into the pot here, but a "slightly" relevant one, the writers of US dramas are on strike in the States right now. They are arguing over who controls, and at what level, the revenues from downloaded material.

Making money from downloads is THE issue. If no one makes money, then the film and tv industry will collapse. Who here has the money to go to Hawaii and film a excellent series like Lost? No one, I would imagine. Tedious 2 minute youtube videos have a novelty factor, but will never replace a well written and produced drama.

A "few" people downloading today is not such a issue. But a whole generation is growing up with the understanding that tv, film, music etc is free. Nothing is free in life, not even water.

The questions for film studios, tv companies, telcos, writers/producers etc, is how to make sense of, and money, in this new digital world.

We are all living in the golden age of the internet, the digital wild west if you like. It's about to end folks, whether we like it or not. Get those downloads in fast, because I think within a few years "things" will be very different.

Thanks for making me laugh after such a long day :D

Horizon
28-11-2007, 00:31
You're welcome. But like VM, I'll start charging for it soon.:D

flashgordon
28-11-2007, 00:32
usenet is not the only problem for virgin users. there are problems with other servers. especially late at night. it appears the later you are online especially after midnite the slower the downloads. I believe this is due to Virgin engineers doing work so slowing down the service to a crawl

homealone
28-11-2007, 00:47
I can only report my personal experience, 4Mb/s tariff, 480 KB/s download, VM do not appear to be slowing downloads here, the time of day seems to make no difference, provided STM limits are not exceeded.

My worst problem is trying to keep within the Giganews cap of 25GB per month, on the silver tariff, with so many goodies available ;)

Horizon
28-11-2007, 01:00
...just use the uncapped service. It costs about £6 more.

$12.99 capped
$24.99 uncapped

TraxData
28-11-2007, 01:04
I can only report my personal experience, 4Mb/s tariff, 480 KB/s download, VM do not appear to be slowing downloads here, the time of day seems to make no difference, provided STM limits are not exceeded.

My worst problem is trying to keep within the Giganews cap of 25GB per month, on the silver tariff, with so many goodies available ;)

I'd blur that download out if i was you ;)

Horizon
28-11-2007, 01:08
...yes, delete that.

homealone
28-11-2007, 01:12
...just use the uncapped service. It costs about £6 more.

I don't always use 'all' that is available, so while I moan about being capped to 25GB per month, at least I am likely to watch most of the content ;)

On 'unlimited' I find the tendency is to download loads, then never use it - even at £6pm more , that seems a waste :)

---------- Post added at 01:12 ---------- Previous post was at 01:11 ----------

I'd blur that download out if i was you ;)

why - there are no personal details posted?

- and it illustrates my point about the 'speed' available - more than the crappy speedtest.net posts, anyway, imo ;)

Horizon
28-11-2007, 01:13
deleted post.

homealone
28-11-2007, 01:14
...yes, delete that.

The Prisoner was supposed to be taken up by Sky & got cancelled ;)

If anyone can get IP details from a screenprint served by CF, we all have problems ;)

TraxData
28-11-2007, 01:26
why - there are no personal details posted?

- and it illustrates my point about the 'speed' available - more than the crappy speedtest.net posts, anyway, imo ;)

No, just shows you downloading files *cough* illegally *cough* which the mods wont like to see :p:;)

homealone
28-11-2007, 01:59
No, just shows you downloading files *cough* illegally *cough* which the mods wont like to see :p:;)

Shouldn't we allow the mods to determine what is 'illegal' - downloading files from usenet is not a crime when they are not shared, afaik - there are worse things wrong with the VM systems than this, please excuse me for attempting to demonstrate it isn't all bad - I won't bother , in future :erm:

This is fairly indicative of anyone attempting to say their experience of VM is good, versus all the negative comments on this site, why am I not surprised :rolleyes:

Paul
28-11-2007, 01:59
People downloading US tv - shocking :erm: ;)

TraxData
28-11-2007, 02:12
Shouldn't we allow the mods to determine what is 'illegal' - downloading files from usenet is not a crime when they are not shared, afaik - there are worse things wrong with the VM systems than this, please excuse me for attempting to demonstrate it isn't all bad - I won't bother , in future :erm:

This is fairly indicative of anyone attempting to say their experience of VM is good, versus all the negative comments on this site, why am I not surprised :rolleyes:

Was meant as sarcasm/a joke mate, thus the :p:;) lol

tisme2k
28-11-2007, 11:58
Well just to add my twopennorth........I used Usenetserver for 5 months without a problem.....20 mbs all the time.....until 2 weeks ago when my speeds dropped to around 5-7mbs.......so having read the forums I changed to giganews and guess what.....exactly the same speeds. At the moment I can d/load upto around 1 gb at full speed and then the throttle kicks in on both newsproviders.....soooo certainly looks like there is a bad boys list mates.

Gary L
28-11-2007, 13:06
Well just to add my twopennorth........I used Usenetserver for 5 months without a problem.....20 mbs all the time.....until 2 weeks ago when my speeds dropped to around 5-7mbs.......so having read the forums I changed to giganews and guess what.....exactly the same speeds. At the moment I can d/load upto around 1 gb at full speed and then the throttle kicks in on both newsproviders.....soooo certainly looks like there is a bad boys list mates.

As if STM wasn't enough to alleviate the congested network, they have to do this too. just shows how bad it all is. what's that creaking noise? :)

Xan
28-11-2007, 13:42
speed is 2.4mb download all i need over night 50gb is done by the morning.NO SPEED REDUCTION HERE

r00t
28-11-2007, 13:54
**News flash**
Fat bloke down the pub says...
" mcdonalds purposely slowing down traffic in drive through, mcdonalds are in league with petrol companies. Slowing down traffic is causing queuing customers to make more pit stops at the petrol station "
** This madness must stop**

Really guys, some of you should be writing for The sun or The daily sport.

Gary L
28-11-2007, 14:07
**News flash**
Fat bloke down the pub says...
" mcdonalds purposely slowing down traffic in drive through, mcdonalds are in league with petrol companies. Slowing down traffic is causing queuing customers to make more pit stops at the petrol station "
** This madness must stop**

Really guys, some of you should be writing for The sun or The daily sport.

What you have just wrote is a load of nonsense and really has no place in this thread. :(

r00t
28-11-2007, 14:25
And every other post is backed up with proof?
No it isn't, its pure speculation based on one 'report'. And we can see a screen shot that counters that 'report'
http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/34441557-post53.html

Gary L
28-11-2007, 14:30
And every other post is backed up with proof?
No it isn't, its pure speculation based on one 'report'. And we can see a screen shot that counters that 'report'
http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/34441557-post53.html

As has been said before, Trials, certain areas, and Usenetserver not Giganews. :rolleyes:

r00t
28-11-2007, 14:39
Link(s) to these trials and areas under trial?
VM body to back this claim?

Gary L
28-11-2007, 14:44
Link(s) to these trials and areas under trial?
VM body to back this claim?

There are no links to these trials there are no links to what areas these trials are being trialled in. it was just the same with STM, there was no proof, but it was going on and is here now.

The STM was denied by VM bodies too remember.

Here are some quotes from a Mr Alex Brown, he confirms that trials are and do take place.

Some of the trials we've run and others we are planning

It may be one of the trial scenarios being looked at - I would need to
check. As Fergal states, there are numerous trial scenarios we have
trialled and further that we will trial.

If any decision is made to vary any of the settings as a result of the
trials, this will be updated on the website as per normal.

We run technology trials continuously on the network, and
that includes those on how we might be able to improve any traffic
management policies.

As we've stated, we're undertaking any number of technology trials
over any period of time and it's not really practical to provide all
the details as we do so, with configurations changing as we understand
the benefits of different settings.

As Fergal, Stewart Dunn, support and myself have all stated a number
of times we undertake technology trials all the time on the network,

any such calls are likely to be treated as product
enquiries, which are non refundable and not faults.

and here is a quote from Fergal Butler

Our networks team continue to periodically trial various policies of
STM with different thresholds, measurement periods, and policy
enforcement periods. These periodic trials look at how we might tweak
the existing policies in response to potential future traffic trends
in order to continue to minimise the effects of the policies on
customers usage.

These trials continue to be carried out on an area by area basis as,
and when, we see particular peak usage trends in an area which we
believe may be representative of a longer term peak time usage trend.
The results of these periodic trials are constantly reviewed to enable
us to be ready to modify the policies to continue to minimise the
effects of the policies on customers at peak times as traffic trends
change over time.

As these trials affect only a very small percentage of the customer
base and are fairly dynamic in nature, with configurations changing
frequently during any particular trial, it's not really practical to
constantly provide details of what specific trials are underway where
at any one time.

Chrysalis
28-11-2007, 15:36
Heavy users are an easy toarget to lie blame to but they are not breaching the product specs, VM have oversold bandwidth they have avoided the solution of upgrading infrastructure by implementing shaping.

The issue in this one thread with poor usenet performance may not be VMs fault as some have suggested.

r00t
28-11-2007, 15:45
GaryL
I would know of these 'trials', do you not think that those working for VM would be told about this, then we can prepare for the influx of calls and e-mails. We were told months before the start of STM trials.

utt
28-11-2007, 16:02
Much better to post a theory which cannot be substanciated. Its far better to blame VM than accept that the problem may actually be with usenetserver, despite the postings on their own website of issues they are currently having.

You keep a posting from months ago from the newsgroups and use that to cover any arguments you may get regarding what is being alleged.

TraxData
28-11-2007, 16:14
GaryL
I would know of these 'trials', do you not think that those working for VM would be told about this, then we can prepare for the influx of calls and e-mails. We were told months before the start of STM trials.

Only people who get told at VM are the network plannnig department, general staff/techs/support dont.

Just FYI

Mr_love_monkey
28-11-2007, 16:16
Only people who get told at VM are the network plannnig department, general staff/techs/support dont.

Just FYI

but doesn't r00t say :

We were told months before the start of STM trials

TraxData
28-11-2007, 16:17
but doesn't r00t say :

The trials were going on a LONG time before any departments got told, they got told before STM was to be rolled out, not before the trials.

The trials started running as soon as the cisco hardware was installed, and that is quite some time ago, no one even heard of STM till sometime after, just to prove a point.

Gary L
28-11-2007, 16:51
GaryL

What department do you work in? I'm guessing customer service. if that's the case then are you ever told anything? most of you haven't been told what usenet support is when a customer mentions them to you.

And are you really telling me that you are told about every single trial that is taking place, so that when I phone up I can say what trials are being done in my area at the moment and be told what that trial is? I do not think so.

When the STM trials were taking place people were phoning up and asking in the support groups why their speed had dropped, and nobody knew a thing about it! this was going on for weeks. support posted not long after it was announced on the register that STM was now in force. the day it became official! they knew nothing about it before then, or if they did, they was told to keep their mouths shut.

---------- Post added at 16:47 ---------- Previous post was at 16:45 ----------

Much better to post a theory which cannot be substanciated. Its far better to blame VM than accept that the problem may actually be with usenetserver, despite the postings on their own website of issues they are currently having.

You keep a posting from months ago from the newsgroups and use that to cover any arguments you may get regarding what is being alleged.

Are you saying that there are no trials taking place anywhere on the VM network because I can't prove it? if you are then you really do not know what you are talking about and are just wasting everyones time. :(

---------- Post added at 16:51 ---------- Previous post was at 16:47 ----------

Just FYI

Thanks Trax. I wish those that do work at VM will stop dismissing everything from someone who isn't a VM employee. they do not know everything, and it doesn't help or look good on the forum when all a few of them do is just that. :(

Mr_love_monkey
28-11-2007, 16:57
Thanks Trax. I wish those that do work at VM will stop dismissing everything from someone who isn't a VM employee. they do not know everything, and it doesn't help or look good on the forum when all a few of them do is just that. :(

To be fair (unless I am wrong) - we only have trax's word that he was ever anything to do with VM? - no offence but he could just be making things up?

Hugh
28-11-2007, 17:01
To be fair (unless I am wrong) - we only have trax's word that he was ever anything to do with VM? - no offence but he could just be making things up?
Or he could be somebody who thinks he works at VM trying to make it look like he doesn't work at VM so we think he really does work at VM (I think)......

Mr_love_monkey
28-11-2007, 17:03
Or he could be somebody who thinks he works at VM trying to make it look like he doesn't work at VM so we think he really does work at VM (I think)......

..and am I still me, and who's eating this chicken?

Gary L
28-11-2007, 17:16

but it is true that technical support was not told about the STM trials for all that time. they just kept asking for the usual tracerts and modem logs for weeks while it was going on. they were only told the day it became official.

---------- Post added at 17:16 ---------- Previous post was at 17:06 ----------

but doesn't r00t say :

That can be very interesting now because no customers knew about the STM trials until it was officially announced that they were now live. was r00t in a position to tell the customers? and was there many others who knew about the trials but did not inform any customers about them even though they were in a position to?

I want to know what department he works in! :)

TraxData
28-11-2007, 17:33

Understandable, i cannot prove myself to you, but as i usually say in my posts, you can choose to or not to believe what i say, doesnt bother me either way.

I would just note i was right about STM ever being implemented, along with the new upload trials (just google for certain sites for proof) etc.

I go waaaaay back with alex brown as well, believe it or not he used to be a really nice guy, till he sold his soul to VM for abit extra money that is.

Anyway, havea nice day :D

Hugh
28-11-2007, 17:38
Aaaahh - he went to the "Dark Side" - management........

JackSon
28-11-2007, 18:54
Are you saying that there are no trials taking place anywhere on the VM network because I can't prove it? if you are then you really do not know what you are talking about and are just wasting everyones time.:(

To be frank, it is up to you prove you are right - as in any situation, it is farsical to expect someone to prove that something (whatever it maybe) is not or never did happen. The problem with null events you see is that they have null evidence. Therefore, it is taken that an event is null until it is proven otherwise by the presence of evidence an event. So taking from that, in this argument, it is more necesary for you to substantiate that there is sucha trial than it is for anyone else to substantiate that there isn't one - which as outlined earlier, is not a reasonable thing to ask.

Gary L
28-11-2007, 19:00
I don't have to prove anything. as Trax said you can choose to believe, or not to believe what i say, it doesnt bother me either way.

r00t
28-11-2007, 19:01
I'm guessing customer service. if that's the case then are you ever told anything? most of you haven't been told what usenet support is when a customer mentions them to you.

Thats right, you are guessing. And just so you know, no I am not any of the above ;)

"usenet support", what on earth is usenet support. VM do not support usenet, they/we support VM news groups.

Just FYI

Ok so For Our Infomation. Why not PM me the e-mail address of this source of yours, I have a few questions I'd like to ask.

Stuart
28-11-2007, 19:01
Are you saying that there are no trials taking place anywhere on the VM network because I can't prove it? if you are then you really do not know what you are talking about and are just wasting everyones time. :(

I don't think he is. He would probably be wrong if he was anyway. VM are trying stuff all the time, most of which never sees customer service (anyone remember their Municipal WiFi trials?) . That, plus the fact that they have apparently said in several places that they will be finetuning the STM on the network.

However, my point was (and is) that both Newshosting and Usenetserver sometimes appear to have a habit of blaiming the ISP when the problem is probably at their end.

TraxData
28-11-2007, 19:03
Thats right, you are guessing. And just so you know, no I am not any of the above ;)

"usenet support", what on earth is usenet support. VM do not support usenet, they/we support VM news groups.

Ok so For Our Infomation. Why not PM me the e-mail address of this source of yours, I have a few questions I'd like to ask.

You have a PM.

Gary L
28-11-2007, 19:07

So why would you say about preparing for the influx of calls and emails?
I know now! you're technical support. OMG that makes it even worse :(

So that means Telephone support only support telephones.

I can't believe you really don't know that VM have technical support operating on usenet groups for customers to use, and think that usenet support means something else. unbelievable! :shocked:

See you don't get told nothing! :LOL:[

r00t
28-11-2007, 19:15
So only technical support take calls? :erm:
And you couldn't have possibly meant http://www.usenet.com/

Gary L
28-11-2007, 19:17
So only technical support take calls? :erm:

That's a nice spade you got there :erm:

https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2007/11/1.gif

r00t
28-11-2007, 19:20
Ok enough with the **** talk and show me all the backing you have to support this "VM are slowing down usenet"

Gary L
28-11-2007, 19:26
And you couldn't have possibly meant http://www.usenet.com/

Are you for real, or are you really pulling my leg? :D

JackSon
28-11-2007, 19:46
I don't have to prove anything. as Trax said you can choose to believe, or not to believe what i say, it doesnt bother me either way.

That being the case, why did you bother to get upset and say the following:

"Are you saying that there are no trials taking place anywhere on the VM network because I can't prove it? if you are then you really do not know what you are talking about and are just wasting everyones time."

The point is that just because you suspect one particular thing is going on, that is not a persuasive/credible argument unless it is sustainable. Furthermore, if you want to bang on about something, you do need to offer some proof to counteract every other offered counter argument which can explain the poor broadband eprformance; otherwise it is just (as people have said) speculative whinging; and that really is a waste of everybodys time.

You may be right, but you don't know, and until you do, you cannot discount the countless other scenarios which may be present in favour of the one you have thought up in your head.

Gary L
28-11-2007, 19:54
That being the case, why did you bother to get upset and say the following:

"Are you saying that there are no trials taking place anywhere on the VM network because I can't prove it? if you are then you really do not know what you are talking about and are just wasting everyones time."

I didn't get upset. I never get upset when talking to people on the internet. tell a lie I got upset the once when my g/f told me she didn't love me anymore on MSN.

The only part in that where you could possibly say I was upset was the part I said about wasting everyones time.
Wasting everyones time in people having to read a reply where the OP is basically just saying *No they are not*

Paul
28-11-2007, 19:56
Count to 10 and stay calm people. :)

Gary L
28-11-2007, 19:58
You may be right, but you don't know, and until you do, you cannot discount the countless other scenarios which may be present in favour of the one you have thought up in your head.

The STM trial posts were just something thought up in peoples heads too. everything is not true until it happens to you or when it becomes official.

Richy99
29-11-2007, 12:08
shouldnt the title be changed to something like VM slowing down usenetserver rather than usenet itself as many people are not seeing the issues that seem to be reported with slow downs

Gary L
29-11-2007, 13:31
Then we will have to have seperate threads for each usenet provider later, when others start being slowed down too.

Xan
29-11-2007, 14:06
Then we will have to have seperate threads for each usenet provider later, when others start being slowed down too.

Slowed down to what?

Richy99
29-11-2007, 14:26

bet it doesnt happen

mcmanic
30-11-2007, 07:51
like i said earlier in post, the only slowdown i had was last weekend when usenetserver was having problems as reported on their webpage so its not VM, its been fine all week.

Gary L
30-11-2007, 08:13
Like I said earlier in post, Trials, certain areas, and Usenetserver. I am happy that you are not part of the trial that puts you on a bad boy IP with Usenetserver in a certain area, but you can't say it's not happening because you're not part of that trial.

Daffy Duck
30-11-2007, 10:38
The STM trial posts were just something thought up in peoples heads too. everything is not true until it happens to you or when it becomes official.

You can't compare this to the STM thread.....in that thread there were many more people complaining of the sudden drop in speeds,some even posted graphs showing how their speed had suddenly plummeted.
So far with this thread we've got 7 pages and hardly anyone saying they've experienced it,and no evidence of any sort produced.
That doesn't mean it's not happening but,until such time as you or someone else provides some evidence,expect people to be sceptical.